“fun!”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fun!”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This was my first time going to the farmer's market at SPI. There was a very nice variety of stands. It is lively and the prices are good for a farmer's market. Can't wait to go back to this farmer's market.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank vamos2011

Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Small, but essential”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We go to South Padre Island in the fall, so I don't know what the selection is like in the summer. In the fall the selection is small (ie. very few fruit & veggies) but it is still essential for us to go because we can get free-range meat & eggs, as well as local honey & jam. You can get organic dairy & fruit at the grocery store, but healthy meat is impossible to find so going to the Farmer's Market on Sundays is always a part of our schedule!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Canfamily_9
South Padre Island, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“good fresh food”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We went after church as friends had told us about this market. They did have fresh produce, trinkets, jewelry and a few other tourist items. We did enjoy the fresh tomatoes and citrus.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank Birdbet
Port Isabel, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“People were standing in line to buy veggies!”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I am a strong supporter of buying food from local sources. It is a movement nationwide and could make a difference in the future. Seeking out local farmer's markets can add a fun new dimension to ones travel anywhere.

That said, the Farmer's Market on South Padre is held every Sunday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm., on the far north end of the island at The Shores development.

You need to get there early as it is a very small market with at best 10 booths. There are two primary vegetable stands and literally people line up and wait politely to buy. This time of year you see tons of salad greens, cabbage, carrots, chard, radishes, and cauliflower both orange & white. It runs out quick. Live music, a fresh sqeezed fruit juice stand (citrus mainly), a honey vendor, potted plant vendor,and kettle corn vendor. At one visit there was a restaurant, Zeste, giving out samples and flyers.

Then there is my favorite....Buckeye Farms. They sell free range chicken eggs and free range meats...chicken, beef, lamb, and pork. Both times I visited the market they were out of eggs immediately. They normally take orders. I actually went out to their farm and bought three dozen that were gathered for me, while I waited. Can't get better than that. The chickens looked happy too!!!!! Check out their website www.BuckeyeFarmsTexas.com. They do gourmet dinners at the farm throughout the year.

Would like to see more vendors in the future. Prices are higher than supermarket but you are paying for freshness, knowledge of where your food is coming from, reducing gasoline consumption (bringing food from California, Flordia and Mexico), and helping to encourage the small farm movement to grow. I will get off my soap box now.

There is a small Farmer' Market in Port Isabel on Wednesdays at 4:00 pm.

Visited February 2012
4 Thank coxcanyon
Texas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Small Farmers market”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was highly marketed but on the weekend I went it was very small. It had maybe 15-20 vendors. I saw local farmers with some crazy large cauliflower and cabbages. People were selling plants, a few fruit , tamales, bread and a few things. One man was singing. I actually kinda enjoyed looking but it took like 10 min to see it all tops. I hope it grows in the future, they have a great idea brewing.

Visited January 2012