“low quality and dirty”

Blue Bay Inn & Suites
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, and found the hotel in a bad shape and dirty. I checked in, went to the bathroom, and found out the toilet seat and inside of toilet was dirty (with obvious signs of dirt, like excrement or maybe blood!). I opened the cooler provided in the room, and found it rusted and dirty beyond believable. I went to complain to the front desk, and the employee said he would send someone right away to fix the problems; true: a guy showed up within a minute carrying a new fridge (which was in a nice shape but with dirt and one hair inside, and he did not clean it for me) and a girl showed up to clean my toilet with no rubber gloves on, so she could only clean the seat (not the inside) and she has a rug that smelled like alcohol (so no real detergent). At that point, I asked the FD to be moved to a decent room, but all they had was on a higher floor and the elevator was broken which means we would have had to walk up to the 4th floor with children and everything! And no discount even if my room was dirty!! The carpeting on the floor was horrible, the walls were broken, and the spring box to say the least gross with humidity or dirt signs (they could have covered it at least!). I was grossed out but there was no other available hotel in the island so there was no choice. At night a fight broke in into the hotel, a woman and a man were screaming loud and fighting and when we called the front desk they said they were not even going to call the police (to which my husband replied, then i am going to call them myself!). The employees were courteous, but they always acted like 'what do you expect from a place like this?" and I paid $125 for the night! Breakfast is a joke, they only have some cereals and coffee/juice and some packaged stuff that is almost not edible because terribly sweet (and the cheap stuff). The pool seemed cleaned, and they decorated it nicely with some modern lovely paintings, but I think the hygiene there was horrible, and somehow the employees did not care. They did not have a microwave in the room which I thought it was bad also. The other people staying at the hotel seemed the kind of people whom you would find in a bad neighborhood, and did not feel safe at all. The lock behind the door was also broken, so we could not lock the door at night, I did not complain because they made me feel like I was somehow bothering them. I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank asianitalianchic

Reviewed 15 April 2012

They ruined my vacations got my credit card num and all my info but never find my name when I showed up. the front desk service girl was wearing a shirt that said Gloria and she dint want to give me a ritten notice to prove that I showed up ....cause u cant cancel a room cause u will get charged for it if u dont show up ...... so u can imagen it was bike fest and I had no other place to stay

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Damariz
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The very first day of our arrival,I got on the elevator to go down from the 4th floor,when the elevator stops,nothing happens, and than I started freaking out.It was a tiny elevator, no one knew I was on it, no cell phone,and the hotel was fairly empty.I started pushing buttons,and the emergency button,and nothing.Just quiet,nothing worked,I started screaming for help and banging on the door,and I cannot begin to put my fear into words,I am claustrophobic,but anyone would have lost it.I began shaking,and was trying to keep my head together,but couldnt.I was screaming,and hitting the door,and nearly out of my mind when a hotel maintenance man heard me.He yelled I will get you out.Minutes seemed like an eternity,before he pried open the door with a crowbar,and he did apologize.I was trembling and in tears,at the front desk,and they said sorry,and that they would put me in another room on the first floor.I just felt like after the tramatic event I just went thru,they should have done a little more.
Not physically hurt,but the mental part was unbelievable.To be alone,with no communication,knowing no one knew you were trapped,and the emergency button,did not even work.This experience left me drained and mentally exhausted, but I went on with our vacation,and tried to forget this awful experience.My advice,if you get on the elevator,dont be by yourself,and have a cell phone.The beds were very hard,very uncomfortable.Every one who worked there was very nice and polite .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Room was not at all what we expected. Looked like something out of the 80's, No coffee pot, microwave out in hallway, bed hard and pillows very flat. Hole in ceiling above commode. Elevator slow and out of order one day - two elevators but only one working. Outside stairwell very dirty.
Went there for an anniversary weekend and was very disappointed. Will not be staying there again. It's fine for the Spring Breakers, but not for a special event.

Room Tip: Make sure you are getting exactly what your expecting - ask questions re: view from room, is there a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol W
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This hotel was a nightmare! The lobby,hallways, and rooms smelled so very dingy. The elevators did not work. The stairs were full of trash and smelled of urine. We had to ask for clean towels. The bedsheets were stained. Tried going the economic route and got even less than what we paid for. Maybe a good stay for college spring breakers but definitely not for family with kids. Oh forgot to mention the so called breakfast is just a loaf of bread and reused coffee. No joke. Also pool was yellow. Guess they figure you are here for the beach anyway. Just disappointing .

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank ogfergie
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Everything was so awful from the front desk to the room service. The breakfast was horrible coffee and gross sugar donuts. The elevator was always not working properly. i will never stay here again and warn friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2011

This hotel just has too many problems. For example, the elevators always get stuck, and when you need to talk to a manager there is never one available. If you ever stay make sure the price is right because you get what you pay for. The deluxe continental they advertise all it consist of is coffee and cheap sugar donuts. The jacuzzi outside doesn't even have a control for bubbles. It was my worst hotel stay ever.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family