“hook and bait hotel”

Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Irving, Texas
“hook and bait hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My boyfriend owns a condo in South Padre Island and we had brought down furniture and we couldn't stay at his condo because he had renter's in it at the time so after driving on the road all Friday night into Saturday morning we decided to get a hotel there on the island and rest before we went to the condo. The sign out front at the Blue Bay Inn advertises rooms for $29 a night however when I went inside to check out a room they stated that it would be $54 a night and it wasn't even a room with a view of the bay. There are so many Winter Texans that visit South Padre and it is sad if they are being taken advantage from hotels like this. I would never stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Tracy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brownsville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We found this room at 37 dllr per night rate and we are pleasantly surprised...
beds...awesome!!
bathroom... great!!
continental breakfast... good!!
internet... pretty good
and the wonderful bay views...

and my husband loves it... we planning to stay there again!!!

Room Tip: rooms doesn't have microvawe, there's one each floor... but they have minifridges...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YezkaFlores
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have stayed at many hotels and for the price of this hotel it was the worst ever. The staff was not helpful what so ever, and very rude. We got there and then I was quoted a highter rate for additional day. We ended up leaving! Horrible experience ever. There were bugs in the rooms and even crawling in the hallways. I told them about the bugs, and about not having any clean towels and for 4 people they gave me 2 towels. I told the girl your kidding me right she never dropped anymore. House cleaning they were not because rooms were not clean the 2nd day I had no towels and had to go and ask for some again. The room, restroom was nasty. I had to go ask for an iron and iron board. The ac was not working it kept turning off and it was very hot. The hallways were very hot as well. I even asked them for bug spray, the elevator would get stuck and one of the workers kept telling me yeah it's been like that for awhile. I told him well it needs to get fix. The swimming pool was very small and not enough room for the hotel guest. I would not reccommend this hotel not even for my worst enemy, There was 1 microwave for the whole floor.

Room Tip: For the protection of your family whether business or family vacation. Do not take a chance at this...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Diana H

Travellers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

San Antonio, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel with a cheer group. I should have known the experience I was going to have from the minute I walked in. I was quoted a price and then when we went to check in the price for the last day went up 30 dollars. Then my room the ac did not work very well. House cleaning went into the room but just changed the towels, they did not clean the room. The staff was so rude on a couple of occasions I asked questions about places in the area they responded with a short unhelpful answer. I guess they couldn't get off of Facebook long enough to help a guest. One night we were there the hotel staff had all of their family over for a swim and a barbecue. I know for a fact it was a couple of house keepers and even the so called manager. They took over the whole pool are literally all day. Even until 3 am and the children that were with them were rude to our girls that were swimming. One woman even got into it with one of my parents. The elevator kept getting stuck. The pillows were flat and uncomfortable. I do not recommend anyone stay there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Erica R
Clifton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

First motel I've ever stayed in that had no face cloths. They did offer us an extra bath mat however. One bath towel, PERIOD, for two people. No coffee, no ice, no NO telephone. Three days and no working TV. There was no evidence of a manager the whole time I was there, I asked each day.
I don't know how these people stay in business. They should be ashamed to offer this lodging facility to the public.

• Stayed July 2013
Laredo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Bay Inn over Labor Day weekend last year for the "Isla Del Sol' Music Fest. Great location on the strip of the island, walking distance of where we needed to go, and great stay overall. Breakfast area is small, being that it was Labor Day weekend and lots of guests came downstairs to eat. Room was spacious and we had not complaints. It was a short two night stay, but well in our budget and met our standards.

Room Tip: Request a room looking over the bay area of the bridge, really great view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

We went to South Padres in July of 2011 (sorry for the delayed review) and we stayed at the Blue Bay Inn. The hotel seemed pretty clean even though it looked old on the outside. There were issues with the elevators, they seemed to get stuck every now and then. The 2 standard bed suite we stayed in had a refrigerator and a microwave both which worked fine. The decor was ok and so were the beds. It is also right across the street from a McDonald's and right next door to a beach shop, so that was convenient. That was the pros of the hotel. The cons were that all night the people next door were SUPER LOUD and we would get woken up every few hours even with ear plugs on. The walls are paper thin! We banged on the wall but it did no good. We could have called down to the front desk, but we didn't. Another con was the so called continental breakfast. It consisted of powered donuts. That is not my idea of a continental breakfast. Also the access to the beach is HORRIBLE!! We had to walk a good 10 minutes or drive to get beach access when in fact you should be able to get beach access when you cross the street and go down the pathway. This would have made our trip alot easier, since we went to beaches in other states and countries and you just have to walk a block or two to get there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family