“STAY AWAY, THEIR STAFF IS HORRIBLE”
Review of Padre South Hotel

Padre South Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I brought my family to stay on the Island recently and we decided to stay at this hotel due to being right on the beach and because it was located close to the business areas. Thats the only good thing about this place. The rooms smelled funny and seemed so out dated. The carpet in the lobby was stained and it had a musky scent. Now, i brought my family down and i didnt appreciate the way the clerk at the front desk kept looking at my daughter, and to top that off he had an attitude and was cocky. But i didnt say nothing because i didnt want to ruin my families trip to the island. I will never stay their again and will definitely not suggest this hotel. Management needs to work on who they hire.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank alamojon

Reviewed 6 September 2010

To speak for my boyfriend and I, OMFG. DISGUSTING. Period. Mold, grime, mildew, wet towel smell all over the hotel. I would have rather slept on the beach. I dreaded going back to the hotel during our stay. I took a shower in the cramped bathroom, our toilets barely flushes. Provided a small portion of towels making it barely enough for two people. Ironing board was burnt, iron was rusted and stained my shirts. The ac unit, fridge were so loud, it kept waking me up. I wake up every morning to stare at the mildew all over us from the roof to all four walls. No wonder we kept coughing through out the night. Only good comment I can say is the staff is "okay",and, the location is right in front of the beach. Good walking distance. Oh yeah, did I mention the hallways looks like a scene from the shining? Very creepy. Do not stay here. No matter if you think you got your bang for the buck, it is not worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bobeena430
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Me and a few of my friends spent spring break 09 here. We were actually very pleased with our stay at this hotel. I had read that it is one of the oldest hotels on the island so I expected less from it. The room was nice enough and clean but needed updating. The sliding door to our balcony was a little hard to open but we managed. There was a big refrigerator in our rom and the little kitchen was decent. I also liked the fact that was enough counter space for all of us girls stuff to get ready for our day. The view from our balcony was nice, we had a nice view of the beach AND Padre Blvd. Even though it was spring break the noise level wasnt near as loud as I expected so it really wasnt difficult to sleep. The hotel was right on the beach and we loved the fact that we could just walk right onto the beach and it was a short distance to "Coca Cola" beach. We also walked everywhere ( eat, shop, clubs) it was located near alot of things. The parking wasnt too bad. We were able to actually find a parking spot both times we did leave in the car. Due to Hurricane Dolly they only had one working elevator and it ran VERY slow. We typically decided to walk up the 7 flights of stairs because it was actually quicker than taking the elevator. The front desk staff was very nice also. The room was booked in my name and I forgot my ID at home and had overnighted to the hotel friday morning. They went ahead and let us check in Thursday afternoon even without my ID. Also the view in the lobby of the beach was pretty. The only complaint I had is that at check out time they had the security guard check out our room (as they do with all rooms during spring break) and he was very rude to me because I didnt have ALL of our items out of the room. The only thing I had left to get was the food in the refrigerator and he got mad and puffed on about how I shouldnt of had front desk send him up to my room if I didnt have all my stuff out and that he wasnt coming in until it was gone because I wasnt going to blame him if anything came up missing (which nothing was). You shouldnt be rude to your customers just because they are spring breakers. Not all spring breakers are stupid and break things or accuse staff of stealing. You shouldnt be rude to your customers AT ALL. However, I would totally stay at this hotel again next time we go to SPI.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The carpet in the room was buckled up. The cabinets in the kitchenette were warped. Tile was old and filthy. Swimming pool was green and nasty. Run by a bunch of middle easterns who don't know the word clean. I wouldn't give this hotel any rating.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank hawaii2011058
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We went down for a weekend. For the money for the 3 of us the price was right. We got a 2 bedroom room on the 4th floor with a view of the beach and pool.

Yes, by other accounts it has no ice but what extended stay hotel does. It had a kitchen with all the stuff to cook a meal , refrigerator and coffee maker.

The furniture is out of date but comfortable. We were not there to sit in our rooms we went to sit on the beach and do nothing for a few days. The beds were good sleep. Our room was cleaned every day and nothing was stolen.

We had internet everyday in our room. We had to choose which speed and once we got signed on we did not disconnect until we left on Monday morning.

We did not try the pool but that area looked nice and inviting. No hot tub though.

We did have a hard time with parking. They do not have enough room to park for their facility. We ended up parking on the street till Sunday night.

If we go back we will be going here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My girlfriends had their blackberry and camera stolen from the room when we went to dinner. We got little to no cooperation from the desk staff. Their answer for everthing wrong was that it was "Spring Break" We paid $200 a night for this room. It was old and run down with very few amenities. I will never stay or would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2010

My fiance, her son and myself was looking for a good deal on a decent hotel stay for 3 nights. We looked at 2 other hotels before coming across padre south hotel. It looked like a nice hotel from the outside compared to the others we had looked at.."looks can be deceiving"! The rates for the the week of feb 22nd were $48 on the internet. We asked if there were any discounts for staying an extended period of time. The clerk at the desk told us she could bill us $50 a night for wed, thurs, and fri nights (which was more than the internet rate we noticed after our stay). The clerk also stated the regular rate was $55 a night and $80 on a weekend night. This also turned out to be falsely advertised. The clerk made the rate sound as if the hotel was doing us a favor for staying the extra time. The total price ended up to be $171 and some change.

Upon unpacking we noticed on our trip up to the 7th floor the elevator had cardboard surrounding the entire wall surface "spooky". We also noticed a sign (in the elevator) that stated the juccuzi would be out of service untill the following monday waiting on parts. When we arrived on the 7th floor there was a horrible odor of burnt bacon that reeked the enitre floor. Now..we get to our room and it takes awhile to get into because of the outdated card key system they have in place. The room had the smell of a nursing home. When taking a shower the water took forever to get warm enough to shower, if you like rocking while handleing your business on the toilet this is the place for you. Everytime you open the bathroom door, or balcony door the ceiling tiles in kitchen area and bathroom would raise up and down..again also "spooky" especially to a child. This hotel does not have an ice machine when asked where we could get ice we were directed 3 blocks to a cvs pharmacy where ice was $2.29 a (small) bag. There complimentary breakfast was coffee. The pool is not heated. Internet is what it is.

The staff at padre hotel were semi friendly but not real helpfull. When we asked for ideas to do on the island for our vacation they downed the island as a whole and they told us "we came at the wrong season" again very helpfull and boosted our expectations of this trip. The ocean view from our room was sufficient, balcony had no chairs. There was only one small trashcan in the bathroom. The only house keeping was bringing 2 towels and emptying the trash. There were no outlets in a central location for use.

We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I looked at the rates for the week of spring break after our stay and hell would freeze over before anyone should pay the ridiculous amount of $179 a night!! We had 3 nights for less than a one night stay. Also if you like brushing your teeth in the kitchen jump on this one.......we will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family