“The very definition of TERRIBLE”

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Where to begin on how pathetic this place is. First, we made our reservations months in advance for a wedding. The price we were quoted was $170 per night but that turned in to $190 upon check in. I guess inflation? We ordered a room with a jacuzzi (which, by the way, the jacuzzis are just small bathtubs with jets, so don’t get any false impressions of luxury.) SO, I’m at the front desk for 20 minutes while the person working typed feverishly on the PC – I knew there was a problem. I got a non-smoking suite. When we got in the room, I was immediately hit by the smell of smoke. I returned to the front desk and was told sorry, they were booked and couldn’t help me. When I threw a bit of a hassle, the manager promised he’d find me a non-smoking suite (so I guess they weren’t booked, just holding out?) However, the only non-smoking suite they had was a two bed queen with no jacuzzi (no big loss there). The manager had the audacity to tell me he had to charge me more because the room was larger. After a glare, he decided not to charge me. We got to our room and it was far from impressive. One reviewer said “cookie cutter” hotel – great description. It felt like I was at a Northeast El Paso budget inn. Nothing beach-like or resort-like about it at all. The parking lot is a terribly long walk. When it’s booked, you literally have to park a mile away. The internet was down, also. The worst part about this trip, however, is not what this hotel did to me. It’s what this hotel did to the bride and groom. After venting my frustration to the wedding party at dinner that evening, the groom explained his and his wife-to-be’s nightmare. They booked the honeymoon suite months in advance and when they arrived, the staff had mistakenly put someone else in the room. Because of the sorry nature of the staff, their lack of organization and their incompetence, he and his bride got the same room as we did. A plain piece of crap. Nothing to mark their special occasion. They didn’t offer to compensate or anything, just a repeated apology knowing that we were all stuck there for the experience and had already paid. On top of this, they supplied the catering and the dance hall. The food was terrible, cold and took about 2 hours to serve to everyone. The staff was rude and refused to make exceptions for people with certain allergies or non-preferences to meat, etc. This on top of the fact that it was a wedding party and between our friends and family, half of their sales for the weekend were to us. Collectively, we all felt robbed, but none of us could fathom the treatment of this La Quinta Inn and its staff toward the groom and his bride. I will never stay here again. I would never recommend this place and in fact, I would go so far as to say it’s my goal to cost them as much business as they cost my friend and his wife on their wedding. It’s jaded my overall view of hotels in the southern portion of South Padre (I have a great review for the Sandcastle Resort in Port Aransas – that place is classy.) My recommendation to anyone visiting the area that is unfamiliar – stay up in north padre where everything is cheaper, there is less of a “tourist trap” mentality and resorts are far better maintained. La Quinta South Padre, you are the very staple of terrible. Have a great summer ruining your reputation and losing your customers.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed 11 June 2008

We stayed for 6 days. The room was not in the best of condition. The front door was damaged, it was really hard to close. The balcony door would not close, the doorknob was broken. The closet did not have a door. The beds and sofa were not very comfortable at all. The internet NEVER worked. A maintenance person was sent twice and made attempts to repair it to no avail. So then he just gave up and never came back. The room was not in the best of shape or the most comfortable, but the location and views were absolutely wonderful. The location was very nice because we could just take the elevator down and walk right onto the beach. They also have little showers right past the pool by the beach for your feet or your body. Nice! Plus in the front of the hotel, you can get discounted tickets to just about anything on the island. The hotel is on the far end of the island and you have to drive a bit into town where everything is. Overall we didn't get a comfortable room, but we got a great location.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Famlytravelers
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Well here we go...... First the issues you won't like. We stayed on the first floor in a jacuzzi room that was gross to say the least. The carpet was so dirty/stained you wore shoes to keep your bare feet off the floor. The bed had a mattress from circa 1978 on it that bowed in the middle so you woke up with a sore back every am. The bathtub had rust stains here and there.

There was a big roach running around the room and a small dead one inside the clock, yes inside the clock on the face of it. The hotel is pet friendly if you enjoy hearing barking dogs wake you up at all hours of the night not to mention stains here and there on the OLD carpeting from dog "accidents". Oh did I mention the pet odors if you know what I mean? The room would not stay cool to our liking either. At night you could see mice running around outside the hotel that terrified the ladies. The beach was dirty and not cleaned or raked as well. The pool is tiny and gets overcrowded easily.

The good...... The staff seemed friendly.

Summing it up find another place even if it cost more, you will be doing yourself a favor. The hotel needs to spend some money refurbishing the place starting with the gross carpeting.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank toyoman
Reviewed 2 May 2008

We got to the hotel and had to wait in line for an hour only for them to tell us our room wasn't ready because high school kids had terrorized it the night before. We showed up right at arrival time and didn't get a room until 6 hours later when we had payed to check in at 3pm. Other things that bothered me, we were put in a handicapped room and their was feces splattered in the toilet. I saw a huge garbage bag dripping with nasty water they had just thrown into one of the hotel cribs..BABIES SLEEP IN! That's just gross.

Reviewed 23 April 2008

Week after spring break -A very nice hotel for the price ($59 a night mid-week). While the rooms did show some wear and tear, overall they were clean and very comfortable. Nice balcony you can see the ocean from or pay more and get a room that overlooks beach and pool area. Hotel personnel very efficient. Had minor problems that were all addressed immediately. Pool was nice. Hot tub was nice the first night but wasn't maintained. Water was very dirty by the weekend. Wireless internet connection was decent. Breakfast area good. BEST thing for us is that they allow dogs and we weren't charged extra for them - only a damage deposit. For dog lovers, this is the place to be. Environmental work on the beach not a problem.

Reviewed 22 April 2008

We went to golf school for 3 days so it was nice to come to a hotel with a jacuzzi tub in it--- and the bed was comfortable & soft. My only complaint is that the sheets had started to "pill" and so were a bit scratchy. Otherwise- , hey, James Kelley --- you did a wonderful rennovation on this hotel!!! Good breakfast --- good beach access and for watching the sun come up-- you can't BUY a better location!!

Reviewed 9 April 2008

Week After Spring Break
Clean room and bedding comfortable. Nice size room with mini fridge and microwave. Easy friendly front desk. Wireless Internet was low connection. Sofa bed was uncomfortable to sit on. Housekeeping was unpredictable all week.
Other thoughts, lots of undisciplined small children due to Mexico spring break. Not enough chairs for pool area. Heavy equipment reclaiming beach was noisy. Dog friendly is a consideration due to allergy to fleabites. Never tried the continental breakfast or pool/hot tub due to the number of undisciplined small children. I would stay again just not month of March.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo