Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sapphire Condominiums(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Pearl South Padre(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Peninsula Island Resort & Spa(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
La Copa Inn Beach Hotel(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Isla Grand Beach Resort(South Padre Island)
  • Pool
Comfort Suites(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Blue Bay Inn & Suites(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Suites at Sunchase(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Padre South Hotel(South Padre Island)
View Hotel
Gulfview II(South Padre Island)
  • Free Internet
All reviewswater parkindoor waterparkseaside grilltorrent rivermain parkswim up barheated poolshrimproom keybreakfast tacosfamily vacationice chestoff seasoncarouselloblollybeachisland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Okay, first of all, hotel is great for the kids! We had a great time at the water park and the environment is without a doubt family friendly.

However, it doesn't quite live up to the title "resort". Check in is at 4, rather than the standard 3 for most hotels/resorts, we arrived after 5 and room still not ready. Hotel lobby was average at best. Get 10 people in there and forget it, no where to sit or stand. Staff was young and untrained. Service was average. When you say resort I think if I call for towels, I expect to get them within 15 minutes or so, especially for $300+ per night...never came. When you say "resort" and I call for plates at 10:30pm, I don't expect you to tell me there are "no plates available anywhere on the property". Are you kidding me! Lol Rooms were nice, but seemed somewhat dated. They advertise as the "newest resort on the island", that doesn't mean modern, trust me; it's still old.

All in all the experience was good, and we probably we would come back for the kids sake. This is not a place I would stay without kids; "FAMILY" fun is the only reason to come here. If that's why you're coming, you have made a good choice. If you're coming for a "resort" experience or any other reason, choose somewhere else.

4  Thank John M
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thanks for the review and glad to hear the positive comments and appreciate your thoughts on areas we can look to improve.

While the lobby is not extremely large, we preferred to focus our attention during construction in 2012 to creating more space for Guests in the areas they want to be....the waterpark, restaurants and carousel areas. We did utilize Loblolly Pines, black walnut and other repurposed woods to create a "forest meets the beach" feel in the lobby, complete with a large aquarium.

We proudly host a great diversity of people at the resort and offer five distinct meeting areas around the property as well, so there are many times where the overwhelming amount of folks are here for conventions (with or without families coming along).

I have shared your comments with the appropriate department heads to ensure your concerns are addressed immediately.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feelings on your recent visit and we hope to see you again real soon with another review that is a 4 or 5 star like so many others.

Thanks,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our kids range in age from 3 to 16, so finding somewhere that's affordable and fun for everyone can be tricky! We were so completely satisfied with this resort! There was enough to do near the room that we could send the older ones off while our little guy napped. There was no room key to hassle with; our wristbands were our key, which meant I didn't have to ask everyone "do you have your room key?"

Being able to access the waterpark directly from our hotel was perfect! We could walk to the beach, back to the waterpark, etc. so easily! This was one of my concerns when booking because I had read an older review that said you had to drive over. This is NOT the case! They make it really easy!

The food is a bit pricey, but there are less expensive options about a mile away, so not a huge deal. Some days we ate in the park/at the resort, and others we didn't. But I have to give kudos to the restaurant in the lobby for their food! The breakfast tacos (very inexpensive) were cooked when you order, and they were HUGE and so very good!!!! Their pizzas are wonderful. They don't skimp on the ingredients - our meat lover was LOADED with a TON of toppings and was delicious. Added bonus: while our breakfast was being made, we rode the carousel, which is just outside the restaurant. :)

Cleanliness is always a big thing for me. When we arrived, the room was super clean. I was extremely happy! I must say though that during our stay it felt as if our room had been just "picked up" instead of really cleaned.

It's true that the bathroom is tiny. But it really wasn't a dealbreaker. We did, though, have trouble finding places to dry out our wet things. They could simply add a drying line to the shower or add more hooks in the bathroom area. This would fix it! :)

My only other suggestion would be that there's no coffee except in your room, unless you want to wait until the restaurants open (around 9 a.m. I believe). That was rough for us coffee lovers. So, either bring your own pot (we didn't care for their coffee in the room) or be prepared to make a coffee run each morning.

The room was unexpectedly spacious. We have three children so we brought a full-sized air mattress. There was plenty of room to inflate the air mattress and easily walk around the room. And speaking of mattresses, the hotel beds were very comfortable!

Staff was very responsive. We had to call down and request a few extra items (sugar for coffee, cups, towels), and each time they were at our door very quickly and then we received a phone call to ensure we received what we needed. Great procedures in place to encourage good customer service!

And with regard to the waterpark, our three year old could "ride" almost every single ride, and the teenager also had fun! We were able to do most of the things together, which was a huge plus for this mom!

Thumbs up all the way around. We definitely plan to return, and plan to stay longer next time! Thank you for a very memorable trip!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor of the main building and were very pleased! There are no balconies, so it's up to you if a "view" is worth the potential additional charge.
1  Thank Marlisa B

Thanks Marlisa for taking the time to write a very thoughtful and thorough review.

We try very hard to make sure that we are well-rounded to handle the wide diversity we see in our Guests.

Sorry you aren't a fan of the Wolfgang Puck provided in the rooms and can understand wanting the coffee if you are an early riser and do not wish to wait for the 8am opening of two of the resort's restaurants....we will look into ways to address the issue.

Clotheslines are already in (or being placed) into all of the rooms to make the hanging of wet clothes easier, so I appreciate you mentioning that as well.

Once again, thanks for the thoroughness of your review and we can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This is the second year in a row my family and I stayed at the resort. The first year was fantastic.(2013). This year was still awesome. The bathrooms are really small but how much room do you need. The bed are very comfortable and the a/c blows cold. Showers are always hot. We love our stay. The staff is always nice and very helpful. The Guest relations manager goes above and beyond for you. There was a misunderstanding on room service but it was worked out in our favor. I would highly recommend to stay here. Very affordable and worth the price. Awesome place for a family!

• Stayed: June 2014

Great to hear from our returning Guests!

We appreciate the feedback and also glad to hear when the occasional error is made folks realize we will try our best to make everything right as quickly as possible.

Whether you are coming with the kids or just looking for a great place on the beach with comfortable sleeping quarters and multiple restaurants we can accommodate you....we are even a great place for meetings and conferences with our five distinct meeting areas.

Thanks again for returning and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

When my fiancée said she wanted to vacation somewhere near the beach with a theme park the whole family could enjoy, I knew there was ONE place that could deliver. Schlitterbahn Beach Resort on SPI did NOT disappoint. The property is brand new and the room we stayed in was clean and had all the comforts we were looking for. The staff gave us a beautiful beachside view that would have ANYONE waking up in a fantastic mood. Breakfast downstairs overlooking the surf was fantastic. I had the toasted bagel with lox. LOVED it! The waterpark itself is always a homerun. But the newer rides at the hotel were just the icing on the cake. The best ride, bar none, is the indoor lazy river on steroids! Forgot the name... but when you see the waves shooting your tube into the air--it's a guaranteed rush. Overall, if you're looking for the ease, comfort and convenience of staying on the beach, why not throw in a waterpark to boot?! Kudos to the whole staff. I'll be back again.

Room Tip: Pay the additional price for a beachfront view. It's worth every penny. Some of the bars around the park allow you to add an extra shot of alcohol for 99 cents... do it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks Ryan for the review and all the compliments!

Our Torrent "tidal wave" River is quickly becoming one of the most popular attractions we have...

We work hard to provide quality food for reasonable prices and to have enough attractions so the entire family has plenty to enjoy...of course having the beautiful South Padre beaches out your window isn't so bad either!

We look forward to your next visit and maintaining the high standards we strive to keep all of our Guests satisfied and planning their next trip back!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

For this to be a family hotel...it has a lot to be desired. The rooms are not family friendly with a small table for 2 and a room which can accommodate 4. No place to hang wet items to dry after fun at the park. The smallest bathroom ever...thought I was in New York...oh wait my bathroom was larger in New York. Had to continuously ask for towels, the phone was not even connected when I wanted to request hand & wash cloths....had to use my cell. They had to bring a new one. I expected so much more. I would rather rent a condo ANY day.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ydurtp
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I appreciate your review as we take all of them seriously and discuss at weekly meetings.

While 15 out of the last 16 reviews have been either 4 or 5 (out of 5) stars, we never stop looking for ways to ensure every Guest is happy and planning a return visit.

Rooms are equipped with either a king bed and queen sized sleeper sofa or two queen sized beds (as opposed to double beds in most hotels) to maximize comfort after a fun-filled day on the beach and in the waterpark. We feature think, plush Denver mattresses for this reason as well.

Clotheslines are provided in the restrooms (over the bathtub) in rooms to hang wet clothing and towel exchange is gladly offered to Guests in the lobby area if more are needed. Our friendly housekeeping crew is always willing to accommodate Guests with additional hand towels, etc. as needed and deliver to your room. I apologize if the phone somehow became unplugged from the wall jack.

Hopefully, you will experience us again in the near future and see why so many other travelers have rated us so highly.

Thanks again,