“Average Stay but has Beach Access”

La Copa Inn Beach Hotel
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This hotel is an average stay. The breakfast is average (scrambled eggs, tortillas, waffles, bagels and toast, re-fried beans, apples, oranges, bananas, muffins, juices, and coffee). The hallways are not air-conditioned. My room had two queen beds.The room was big and has beds along with a little sitting area with two chairs and a small sofa). The room itself is fine however, the bathroom is a different story. When I first arrived, the toilet bowl was not as clean as one would expect it to be. If you want maid service, you have to put a little door hanger on your door handle. I thought the bathroom would be cleaned a bit better after the maid had left but when I came back it hadn't changed much. Like I said before, this hotel is average but the only good thing about it is that it is along the beach and has beach access. This is definitely a plus. The hotel also gave us complimentary happy hour (3-6pm) drink passes per person. The choices for this complimentary drink are limited: draft beer, margarita on the rocks, wine, or soft drink. The margarita on the rocks was more water than margarita on the rocks. Also, do not call the front desk and ask for something to be brought to your room. We requested towels to be brought to our room but they were never brought. Your best bet would be to just go to the front and get them yourself. Furthermore, upon arrival we asked the front desk what time breakfast would be served and his answer was "I don't know." But it appears to be 7-10 am. In conclusion, it is an average stay with an average breakfast, alright room, and a big plus is the beach access.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nazy S
Aaron R, Guest Relations Manager at La Copa Inn Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a great review. We are delighted to note that you had a great stay with us during your visit to South Padre Island. We are glad you found your room comfortable and roomy and had a good breakfast in the morning. We hope you choose us again the next time you visit South Padre Island.

Aaron R.

There are newer reviews for La Copa Inn Beach Hotel

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Had a great time in South Padre Island. The hotel is clean and had good beach access. Room is comfortable and roomy. Breakfast was good but they could use a bigger area. Parking lot is a little small, but we never had any problem finding a spot.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

Location is great, right in the beach. Our room was nice and big, but we didn't get any maid service at all.

They have a big poster inside the front door that says they have a "full" breakfast with homemade omelets. Complete lie. Just a regular hotel breakfast with waffles, fruit, cereal and scrambles eggs. They have a large clientele from Mexico, so their breakfast had a Spanish style offering of scrambled eggs with sausage, salsa and tortillas which was pretty good.

In the room there is instructions that say to call the front desk to get their Wi-Fi password. Don't bother because they won't answer. I tried 4 times and finally just went down to the front desk to find everyone just sitting around doing nothing. They were happy to give me the password though.

Their Bar and Grill is a joke. Not resort quality at all. Our second night we went out to eat and when we returned about 7pm the bar was closed.

It's not a bad place, it just seems to be very poorly managed. I doubt we'll go back. Even in the off season it wasn't worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank jbretlamb
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I took a 3 day weekend with out the kids for a romantic stay in South Padre. We got our room for $199 for a 2 night stay from travel zoo. This hotel is very pretty once you pull into the driveway. Lots of palm trees and plenty of flowers. The lobby is average looking. The elevators seem a little old. I didn't eat the free breakfast cause I don't care for the type of food anyway. The room is large and very spacious. I am actually typing this up in the room as we speak. Lol anyway the floor was not mopped and the bathroom needs some paint in some areas. Overall I loved the location. We went to the Coral Reef down the street for karaoke and the walkway that leads you to the beach is convenient. If I had to pay original price I would not be as happy about it but since I got my rate on a special, I can say I would definitely recommend this hotel. :)

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Chiemeri N
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We just stayed at this hotel and it was ok. The good - the room was pretty nice...was a good size and clean, slightly outdated but good anyway. Convenietly located, decent pool and hot tup. You can walk to the beach via their walkway. They have a fitness center and WiFi.

The cons - their complementary breakfast location is a nightmare. The line was so long each morning we elected to go elsewhere. The room is crowded with tables and folks were squeezing in to get to the coffee and food items. The layout was horrible...If they just put the stations in separate areas the flow could be improved greatly.

Another con - their "bar & grill" is a tiny place with slow service and limited hours. It has the potential to be so much better! We also bought our stay as a package that was to include a free drink each day - the so-called drink was the size of a dixie cup! Not kidding. We were also disappointed that there was no parking spots when we returned to the hotel Saturday evening.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tina78934
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I bought a Groupon for this place and it was great. Pool hours were posted but not enforced we swam until midnight and there were still people hanging out by the heated pool.

My kids 5 and 6 had a blast!! Free Continental breakfast was ok but not great. Room had a very small balcony but it had two chairs that were good enough to sit out and watch the sunrise and over looked the pool.

The staff was ok and we did not have any issues. I really liked the personal safe in the room and it got some use.

Room Tip: I would recommend a beach view room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Albert G
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I just visited South Padre Island for the Labor Day weekend and stayed at La Copa. The hotel was very conveniently located, walking distance to most popular attractions and shopping, or take a taxi for a measley $3.00-5.00. We loved how close it was to the beach, just a walk away on the hotels privated boardwalk. The room was very spacious, could have been a little cleaner, but overall nice enough. However, we do plan to go back to SP - as we had such a wonderful, rejuvenating time there, but we most likely will stay at a hotel/resort that facilitates a restaurant. It would have been nice to be on the beach all day and just come in to order room service, rather than having to get ready and drive to go eat! Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The king deluxe, ocean view, corner suite was great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple