“This place used to be great”

Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sea Ranch Restaurant has been serving South Padre Island visitors for over 35 years, and has established itself as the island’s premier dining destination. If you haven’t spent an evening at the Sea Ranch Restaurant, you haven’t truly experienced South Padre.Our menu is comprised of local seafood that is caught directly from the Gulf of Mexico, and it changes often based on what is in season. Every item is made with high-quality ingredients, from unbeatably fresh seafood to juicy steaks and hearty pastas. Start your meal off with our Ahi Tuna or Escargot appetizers, or try something a little spicier like our Stuffed Jalapeños. For your main course, pick from one of our countless seafood items including fresh fish, crab legs, shrimp, oysters, lobster and scallops. Our house specialty is the Red Snapper, which has become a customer favorite as well. If you aren’t in the mood for seafood, try one of our delicious grilled steak, chicken or pork dishes. We also have decadent pastas, from chicken or seafood Alfredo to Scott’s Shrimp Scampi served over angel hair pasta. No matter what you are in the mood for, we have a tasty, fresh option for you at Sea Ranch Restaurant.Seafood goes perfectly with wine, so we boast an extensive selection of wines. With over 122 choices ranging from $20 all the way to $500, we have the perfect choice to compliment your meal. If you have an event coming up, consider hosting it at the Sea Ranch. We can accommodate up to 77 people for anything from weddings and receptions to birthdays and meetings.
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I am more disappointed every time I go. This was THE nice restaurant on the island. Now, all of their food tastes like it just fell off the Sysco truck...

1  Thank Mango_con_Leche
Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

This is very unusual feedback for me, and I'm so sorry to hear that you feel this way. I hope you'll give us a chance to restore our reputation with you, as I assure you that our ingredients are as fresh as ever and our preparation methods are top-notch. If you'd like to give me additional details about your experience, I'm all ears! Thanks for letting me know, and I hope to regain some of your former affection in the very near future with an excellent meal.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We found the Sea Ranch to offer an over-priced version of practically the same menu offered by most of the restaurants on this island. The food was average at best. The waitstaff did not seem particularly knowledgeable and were chewing gum as we talked to them. The much-touted "bay view" is really not that great.
A seafood meal (we really can't recall what we ate as it was easily forgettable) with a glass of wine is approximately $30 per person.

1  Thank Canadian-abroad53
Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

This is very unusual feedback for us, and I'm terribly sorry that you weren't more impressed across the board. I'll absolutely look into it, and I welcome any additional details. We work hard to obtain the very best, freshest ingredients and to expertly prepare them, and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to prove that we're much closer to a five-star establishment.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I always dine at Sea Ranch Restaurant at least one time during our Winter Texan stay on South Padre Island. We arrived a little after 5:00pm knowing that there would be a long wait, gave our name to ensure location on the list and headed to the bar for the $1.99 raspberry peach margaritas. We got into the restaurant area after waiting only 30 minutes which I thought was great for a crowded Valentine's Day evening.

We ordered calamari for the appetizer. I swear to you, no lie, this was The BEST calamari I have every eaten!! All I wanted for dinner was fresh gulf shrimp, so I ordered the Senor Shrimp Caesar Sald and the 1/2 pound of peel and eat shrimp. My husband ordered Jerry Fair's Grouper. We used to get grouper at Pirate's Landing, but it is no longer offered there, were pleased to find it available at Sea Ranch Restaurant.

The wait staff at Sea Ranch are very friendly and informative about the food and its preparation. I wish I could remember the name of our waiter so that I could mention him here. The atmosphere is elegant dining. The food is a little bit more expensive here, but you will get your money's worth with no regrets. Our table was right by the big windows overlooking the bay which I felt very special to get on a special evening. We have been coming to Sea Ranch to dine for 25 years. Have never been disappointed. Will definitely return on our next island visit.

Your support, loyalty, and this phenomenal review are invaluable to me, and I'm so grateful to you for recommending us. I hope we can welcome you for many more years to come, and I'll be certain to share your compliments with the entire team here. Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback, and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I always find the service staff excellent and the food fresh and good! Each time I am on the island I try to have at least one evening here.

I'm so appreciative of this wonderful review, and for your continued support and loyalty. We all look forward to welcoming you again for a meal the next time you're on the island!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have dined here some years back and wasn't very impressed. This visit I was impressed with atmosphere, service and mostly the freshest and best Red Snapper dinner I have ever had.

Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

I'm so grateful to you for giving us another chance, Pamela, and for sharing this glowing feedback. We work hard to get the freshest ingredients available and to prepare them perfectly, and it means a great deal to me that you were so impressed with the atmosphere, service, and of course the snapper. I hope you'll be by again soon for another meal -- we look forward to it!

All the best,