“One of a kind” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“One of a kind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

If you are in South Padre Island Texas and you like donuts and coffee, this is the place to go without a doubt. When you walk in the music can be a little loud, BUT if you can get past that this place is unbelievably great. It's clean and smells fresh. The layout is simple and comfortable with plenty of tables and chairs (for approximately 20 people). The donut display is very professionally done up and the donuts that are on display look fresh an inviting. Coffee is Green Mountain and is a premium brand. The flavor is full bodied and delicious. The main feature are the donuts. I've had the blueberry cake donut and it was fresh and had a light crunch when I bit into it. The flavor was exactly what you would expect from a small top quality bakery. The island really needed something like this for a long time. Top quality and the baker was in every morning we stopped in. The staff is very friendly and courteous. It's to bad there isn't a higher rating available on Trip Advisor I'd gladly rate it higher. Don't miss this place!!

1 Thank ShortFinal

Fort Worth, Texas
“Best Donut Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

So many options. Fun names and creative combinations! Cool vibe, too. Delicious. Not your typical donut.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jbelam
Banner Elk, North Carolina
“Mixed bag of donuts...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I've now been to Captain Donuts twice...once with my wife and once with my wife and two young grandkids.

Here's our experiences.

Walked in to buy 4 donuts and saw a real nice variety in the glass case. The problem, lack of immediate attention by who I can only assume was the owner. As we stood at the counter ready to order, he was talking on the phone trying to apparently pay some bills and continued to talk while holding up a finger (not middle) for us to wait. How long? Hard to say...remember, everything is on island time here. Glad we weren't in a rush. When he did hangup, he apologized and proceeded to take our order.

The donuts themselves, excellent, big and underpriced. The coffee, K Cup ONLY, so we passed. All and all, good enough to go nack...and we did.

Second visit with grandkids, different counter help, young, attractive girl. We decided to order a dozen donuts, so my wife and I proceeded to give the girl our picks. When down to our last choice I said, "okay...last one...". Her response was, no, you have 5 more left. Apparently the initial, "4 glazed..." never registered. No biggie!! We also got a bag of donut holes..Paid $10 something and left.

When we arrived home, not all the donuts in the box matched what we'd ordered. 2 of the donuts were wrong, the 2 the grandkids wanted, GREAT!! Mu wife wanted to take them back, but frankly, it irritated her much more then it did the kids. Remember, we still had donut holes for them also!!

Sadly the donut holes were a big disappointment. They were very dry and after eating a couple, the rest were thrown away.

In conclusion, this donut shop is better them any other on the island...it's also the only donut shop on the island.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Angelica P, Owner at Captain Donut, responded to this review, 1 January 2015
As the new Owner of Captain Donut I make sure that customers will never come in to find me on the phone without somebody else there to help you right away and i sincerely apologize about the previous owners actions. and i assure you that we do have ready made coffee, although we still offer K-CUPS, and the donut holes are nothing like the donut holes of before.