“Great Little Donut Shop”
Review of Captain Donut

Captain Donut
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

What a unique find on the Island! Last time I was on SPI, Captain Donut wasn't around. I'm so glad it was this trip! A very clean shop that is relaxing for a good breakfast treat. They serve Green Mountain coffee which has a great K-cup selection. The donuts were deliciously fresh fried and the icing were just perfect; not too light but not too much either. Classic flavors to unique flavors that are always changing. If you're looking for a sweet breakfast, spot here for a good donut or a GREAT mountain of a cinnamon roll!

1  Thank PJKandACK

Reviewed 5 January 2014

By far, the most amazing donut I have ever have! I could eat them every day! Lots of different types!

2  Thank Rachel B
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

If you are in South Padre Island Texas and you like donuts and coffee, this is the place to go without a doubt. When you walk in the music can be a little loud, BUT if you can get past that this place is unbelievably great. It's clean and smells fresh. The layout is simple and comfortable with plenty of tables and chairs (for approximately 20 people). The donut display is very professionally done up and the donuts that are on display look fresh an inviting. Coffee is Green Mountain and is a premium brand. The flavor is full bodied and delicious. The main feature are the donuts. I've had the blueberry cake donut and it was fresh and had a light crunch when I bit into it. The flavor was exactly what you would expect from a small top quality bakery. The island really needed something like this for a long time. Top quality and the baker was in every morning we stopped in. The staff is very friendly and courteous. It's to bad there isn't a higher rating available on Trip Advisor I'd gladly rate it higher. Don't miss this place!!

1  Thank ShortFinal
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

So many options. Fun names and creative combinations! Cool vibe, too. Delicious. Not your typical donut.

1  Thank jbelam
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I've now been to Captain Donuts twice...once with my wife and once with my wife and two young grandkids.

Here's our experiences.

Walked in to buy 4 donuts and saw a real nice variety in the glass case. The problem, lack of immediate attention by who I can only assume was the owner. As we stood at the counter ready to order, he was talking on the phone trying to apparently pay some bills and continued to talk while holding up a finger (not middle) for us to wait. How long? Hard to say...remember, everything is on island time here. Glad we weren't in a rush. When he did hangup, he apologized and proceeded to take our order.

The donuts themselves, excellent, big and underpriced. The coffee, K Cup ONLY, so we passed. All and all, good enough to go nack...and we did.

Second visit with grandkids, different counter help, young, attractive girl. We decided to order a dozen donuts, so my wife and I proceeded to give the girl our picks. When down to our last choice I said, "okay...last one...". Her response was, no, you have 5 more left. Apparently the initial, "4 glazed..." never registered. No biggie!! We also got a bag of donut holes..Paid $10 something and left.

When we arrived home, not all the donuts in the box matched what we'd ordered. 2 of the donuts were wrong, the 2 the grandkids wanted, GREAT!! Mu wife wanted to take them back, but frankly, it irritated her much more then it did the kids. Remember, we still had donut holes for them also!!

Sadly the donut holes were a big disappointment. They were very dry and after eating a couple, the rest were thrown away.

In conclusion, this donut shop is better them any other on the island...it's also the only donut shop on the island.

Angelica P, Owner at Captain Donut, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2015

As the new Owner of Captain Donut I make sure that customers will never come in to find me on the phone without somebody else there to help you right away and i sincerely apologize about the previous owners actions. and i assure you that we do have ready made coffee, although we still offer K-CUPS, and the donut holes are nothing like the donut holes of before.