“Great value!”
Review of Louie’s Backyard

Louie’s Backyard
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, View
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Louie's Backyard in South Padre Island, there is no such thing as a boring night. Whether you want to sit and chat with your friends, cheer on your favorite team or cut a rug till the wee hours, we've got you covered!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

One of the least expensive places to eat for dinner that we found on South Padre Island. The portions were large, the service was good. The atmosphere was terrific, right on the bay! The seafood buffet was good - the selections were good and the seafood was fresh and well cooked. We were there on the early side for dinner at 5pm, and it was not crowded at all. We will definitely go back.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Glad you could join us for dinner during your time on South Padre Island! Thanks for taking the time to rave about us in this wonderful 4-star review, Neal. Couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed the buffet and the views. I hope you'll come back and see us the next time you're in the area.

All the best,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I always stop at Louie's Backyard for great food. The service is great. I always try to get Steve C. as our server. He makes you feel like a VIP.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Happy to have you as a regular while you're on the island. Thanks for your kind words on our food and service. I'll be sure to tell Steve about the shout out!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We came on a Sunday night at about 8:30 pm for a night cap. We enjoyed view and service, we haven't spent a lot of time at the island. So it was nice to have a server who took the time to explain all there was to be had at Louis. And also explain fun activities to do on the island.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Happy you grabbed a drink with us on Sunday, Eric. Thanks for swinging by! I'll be sure to tell Louis to keep up the great work. Hope you'll come back and see us while you're here on the island!

A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We saw a wonderful sunset here a couple nights ago (May 10)! Good band playing live in the background and the fish basket was yum. We will definitely return.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Can't wait to have you back! Thanks for taking the time to rave about us (and the sunset, of course) here on TripAdvisor.

See you soon,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My family of four went for a Mother's Day dinner at LBYSPI and had a very uncomfortable situation while making a quick stop in the gift shop before being seated. We entered the gift shop to purchase a cap or visor for my wife whom has a skin condition. Keep in mind, these can be had anywhere on the island for .99-3.00dlls. At the LBY gift shop they sell for $12. Now price was far from the issue here. My wife, the mother of my children, the reason we were there-asked if she could see how it looked on her. The young lady attending to us-also a greeter/seater - bluntly told my wife VERBATIM--"Only if you don't have LICE." This sparked a very uncomfortable chuckle from all of us and my wife answered "No." The young lady then followed that horrendous comment with again VERBATIM-"I mean, I'm not gonna dig through your head." We have NEVER been anywhere in the USA where a salesperson would ask such a poorly worded and offensive question. Despite the rudeness of this uncultured young lady, I paid the $12 because my wife had been wanting one specifically from LBY. If that wasn't bad enough, she made the moment worse by saying "Oh I see a bug!" after my wife took the pink visor off and I proceeded to pay for it. Most reasonable people would agree this reason alone would be enough to take my money elsewhere, BUT it was a Pre-Mother's Day dinner and the decades of LBY memories she and I shared there is something she wanted to add to. Extremely disappointed, and I am sure any reasonable thinking person would agree, there must be some RE-Training for the gift shop attendant. Maybe she needs to be reminded that she gets paid because people like My family and I can afford to pay $12 for a visor even though 1 block away I can get one for a FRACTION of the price. Now once seated and re-seated (very nicely and politely I MUST SAY) we were greeted by BLANCA, our server. I will go as far to say that she (BLANCA) had a huge role in keeping my wallet and I there. Now this girl was ready to work. She let us know about the drink special and such and even though neither of us drink much these days, she sold us one. $5 drink we would have otherwise not have even considered, credit to Blanca -attn:LBY MGMT*** Not once did I have to look around the restaurant for her to refill my tea or clear the plates from the buffets we had. She just appeared precisely when needed, maybe a better way to describe it was that she anticipated what was required and was on top of things WITHOUT being disruptive to our experience. Just the right balance that I wish every server at every establishment had. She was the polar opposite of the gift shop girl and deserves ALL of the credit for the $76.67 bill I paid to the owners of LBY for 2 adults and 2 kids age 5 & 7 .Just a side note, we called ahead of time for the adult buffet price and were quoted a price of $18 give or take .99 - however we saw the charge of $22 for each buffet. Again, I will not quibble over pennies, I don't need to, but any one answering the phone should also be sure they are doing the BEST and most thorough job possible...otherwise people like BLANCA- -people who APPRECIATE their job-- will come and take theirs as well. Thank you BLANCA for saving my wife's dinner. In all honesty, I think the LBY owners might want to thank BLANCA as well. I will continue to visit LBY because I refuse to let one poorly trained and unappreciative worker dictate where I spend my money and I am sure the owners will correct this problem, I am confident of this.

2  Thank Andres T
Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention, Andres. You're absolutely right: This type of behavior is unacceptable. I will check in with our staff and speak firmly with them to make sure something like this never happens again.

I will be sure to let Blanca know how much she changed your experience with us around. We're so lucky to have her. And we're lucky to have guests like you who give us the benefit of the doubt and will come see us again despite the issue.