“Freaking Amazing!!!”
Review of Louie’s Backyard

Louie’s Backyard
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Louie's Backyard in South Padre Island, there is no such thing as a boring night. Whether you want to sit and chat with your friends, cheer on your favorite team or cut a rug till the wee hours, we've got you covered!
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Best Friendly service ever, our server Braulio Chavez was great. He was nice, funny and attentive. Great service all around friendly staff great food and drinks.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

"Freaking Amazing!!!" -- that's what we're going for! Thanks for the 5 stars, Melissa! I appreciate the kind things you've had to say about our service and food. Come back and see us again soon, OK?

Dan, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (2,116)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'm not much of a seafood person, so the staff at Louie's told my friend and I to head up to the Sports Bar for burger's and other varieties of food. We snagged a table by one of many big t.v.'s and were greeted by Jesse with a basket of freshly made chips! Those were delicious. We ordered some beers and looked over the menu. I got the Backyard Burger -- too good, I should have gotten 2! Now, I'm not normally a desert person, but Jesse recommended the Key Lime Pie and told me a story about how a friend of his loves it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Jesse's friend was right! What a great slice of pie! We stuck around for a couple more drinks and Jesse was always attentive and there when we needed him and thanked us for coming in when we left. I will definitely come back to Louie's when I return to the island.

Thanks for the 5 stars, Bob! I especially appreciate it because it reminds others that we're more than just a seafood spot. I'm glad Jesse took care of you (and even got you to give our dessert a try!). He's great isn't he?! We're looking forward to your next visit -- don't be a stranger!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

A lot of advertisement for this place while we were there. It definitely caters to the 21+ crowd. Great location, friendly staff, but not a very clean place. The bathroom was horrible. Probably won't be going back.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Sorry to hear you weren't more impressed by your experience with us. Glad to hear you at least loved our atmosphere and service (I hope you enjoyed your drinks and dishes, too)! I'd really love it if you gave us another try -- we're definitely capable of better.

Thank you for your honest thoughts!

All the best,

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My family of 5 and I decided to eat here for our last night in South Padre because we had my two small kids with us and wanted them to see the fireworks that were going to happen at 9:15. We arrived before 7 to get a good table to make sure we could see the fireworks well because my oldest son was so excited. When we got there, the hostess was very nice and we told her we were mainly there for fireworks and asked for a table that would give us the best view. She said that was no problem and took us to a great spot right by the water and said the sun would be on us for a little while, but when it went down it would be the perfect spot to see the firework show. We were very happy with the overall atmosphere of the restaurant and our table. Our waiter came quickly as the restaurant was pretty empty at this point and he was very nice. We all went to the buffet (which was okay, but nothing spectacular). We also ordered drinks. We finished everything with about 25 minutes to spare before the firework show and paid our tab. By the end of it all, with our buffets, we also had 8 drinks from the bar. (Piña Coladas...they were very good but not strong at all, so although 8 sounds like a lot it really wasn't consumption wise). It wasn't long after we paid our tab that the waiter told us that we were encouraged to go upstairs and leave our table because they had people waiting to eat. I understand that restaurants like to turn tables, but if that was the main concern, the hostess should have informed us of that before seating us at our table with the great spot for firework viewing. The waiter came back again and we told him we were not moving. We were paying customers who spent plenty of money there already and the whole point of us coming and sitting there was for fireworks and we weren't moving 20 minutes before they were supposed to come on. He went back and talked to his manager (who he said was pushing him to try to get us to move) and came back and told us we had to have an open tab to sit there. So we had to buy another drink (which no one drank), just so we could keep our table so our kids could see the show. After buying 3 buffets and 8 drinks before that you would think we would have a right to stay where we were, but the management at Louie's Backyard was all about making more money instead of seeing their customers satisfied. It is for this reason, when we return to South Padre, we will not dine here or recommend it to our friends or family.

I apologize for any confusion that surrounded your experience with us. It sounds like it was going pretty well until the end. I can promise you that we're not all about making money. In fact, we likely had customers who were complaining about the wait and were trying to find a way to make everyone happy. I'm sorry that we didn't explain ourselves appropriately.

I hope you'll consider giving us another try as this sounds like an honest communication issue. We'd love to have y'all back! Thanks for bringing the issue to my attention.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

For a Friday night we didn't have to wait long to be seated. We were seated waterside, which was great for the fireworks. Our waitress was super friendly and attentive. The buffet was good. The crab legs were a huge hit. The gentlemen who cleared the plates were great. They were attentive but not intrusive or hovering. This was our second trip to SPI and our 2nd trip to Louie's. Totally worth it.

Thanks for joining us for delicious food and awesome fireworks, Michele! Glad you made it a point to come see us on this visit -- I'm looking forward to your third. Think you'll stick with the buffet or give something from our menu a try? And don't forget to save room for dessert!

See you soon,