“Yikes...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Austin, Texas
“Yikes...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I've stayed in all kinds of hotels at all price points, from $6 a night hostels in the mountains of Peru and hideouts maintained by Jesuits in Cameroon West Africa, to suites in luxury resorts. If there is one thing they tend to have in common, it's some kind of honesty in advertising. In this case though, the name of the hotel is a laughable misnomer. The only word in the entire title that is accurate is "Island", which accurately describes the spot of dirt this building sits on.

When we drove up the the hotel, we wondered if we had the right place. The hotel appears to have stopped construction after the first two buildings, and a large dirt pad separates the small parking lot from the buildings. We were carried to the front desk in a badly beat up, extremely loud golf cart (I think maybe the engine didn't have any oil in it), where we were whisked into a make-shift office where the desk manager heated himself some chicken wings. After checking in and receiving our oddly unbranded key cards, we proceeded up to our room via some eerily-lit walkway, and each of us tried each of the three keys until we found one that worked. We opened the loose door handle, walked though the badly rusting door frame, and discovered that the safety lock had an odd repair which rendered it useless. The room itself was clean if spartan, the beds were adequate, and the a/c worked great. There is a little kitchenette which was convenient. Although there is a vertical sheer curtain, there are no blackout shades. We slept for a few hours, packed up, and headed to our early morning dive on the Texas Clipper.

While there was nothing terrible about the experience, there is a huge gap between what was advertised and priced at $229 a night, and the actual condition and service level this hotel offers, which is more consistent with a budget motel. If you are looking for a budget hotel for your family and happen to find a better rate than we did, this hotel might suffice. But if you expect a three or four star experience for $229 a night, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank jturk74
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are deeply sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. The scenarios you have described will be addressed with all staff members involved. We are working hard on resolving the issues mentioned. Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.

Gustavo Diaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Dallas, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

When you first arrive the walk up to the hotel is long and confusing. The front desk isn't even an actual front desk, but more like a sales office. They had lost our reservation although they charged our credit card a month before our stay. The manager came out and said she would honor the reservation "this time".

When we finally got to our room the layout and space were very nice. Had 3 full bedrooms and each bedroom had its own bath. The kitchen area was pretty ghetto and the fridge didn't cool all that great. Most rooms had items missing from them and the hotel never replaced these items such as lamps and alarm clocks. The TVs in the bedrooms aren't even flat panel! This hotel was built in the late 2000's there should be flat panels in all the rooms. Needless to say none of the TV remotes worked except the one in the living room and that was held together with electrical tape. There's rust on all exterior areas and the exterior lights on the both building all turn off early and it gets pretty dark.

Needless to say we won't be staying here again. The restaurant food is awful and the majority of the staff could care less. It's sad because this place has so much potential but nobody cares!

• Stayed September 2012
10 Thank Bryan536
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are deeply sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Your suggestion about the tv's has been taken into consideration and I am happy to inform you that we have switched to HD flat screen tv's on 80% of our rooms so far, and hope to finish switching them all very soon. The scenarios you have described will be addressed with all staff members involved. Thank You for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I don't have much good to say about this hotel except for one thing, I was given a refund. After attempting to find the best place online for my family and I to spend a weekend at South Padre Island, I found this place. By the pictures and reviews the place looked like an ideal place at a reasonable price. I quickly booked a 1-king with a sleeper sofa and kitchenette. I was a little concerned about the sleeping arrangements since my wife and I have two kids. I called the hotel and asked them to confirm my reservation of the 1-king and they confirmed. My wife and I decided that we would have our smallest child sleep with us in the bed and our oldest on the sleeper sofa.

After driving all day, we reached the hotel at 9pm. During our drive, I called twice to confirm our reservation and to inform them we will be arriving late. At first, I could not find the place since it was tucked away from the road. I noticed that the parking lot is quite a bit away from the hotel. We were allowed to drive on the small golf cart road made out of pavers to the disabled parking lot. Entering the lot, I noticed that aesthetically speaking the place looked very runned down. There was severe corrosion on door hindges, paint peeling, and just looked plain dirty. I checked in at the office and it was very uninviting. It was basically a room with a computer desk. I checked in but I felt uneasy. I told my family that we would check out the place before unloading our bags from the car. To my disappointment, the room was extremely small and plain. First of all, the bed was NOT a king but a double. The so called kitchenette only included a sink and microwave. There were no decorations on the walls which made the place look like a dorm. The only good thing was the tile covered shower. The bed had stains and looked very filthy. We quickly ran down to the office as I was extremely disappointed. To no surprise, they were completely booked so we had no place to stay for the night. I told the lady at the front desk that I called to confirm several times and showed her my reservation printout confirming a King bed. She told me that it had happened before and she was sorry for the mistake. She was at least helpful enough to call her manager so she can get authorization for a refund. However, you can tell she was very inexperienced in managing a hotel. We were lucky enough to go to the Pearl next door and stayed at a great place.

This is the first time I've had this experience in my life. I've heard of travel nightmares but I never thought it would happen to me. In any case, we ended up at a much better place that had much better service. In my opinion, the people at South Padre Island have a lack of customer service for the most part. I'm sure most act this way because of the major tourists that have high demands but nevertheless, good customer service should never be a lack especially when you are in the service industry like hotels. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. I much rather stay in Port Isabel or better yet, visit some other place.

Room Tip: Just don't bother. It's a crap-shoot at best.
10 Thank Samuel T
Dear Guest,

We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We truly appreciate your feedback and would like to thank you for all of your suggestions.Your comments have been passed along to our respective departments. We are working on resolving all of the mentioned issues.

San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

First of all, be forwarned that these people will begin to call in order to sell you TIMESHARE! We booked through Expedia and had gotten a fairly decent rate for July. However upon arriving we found out that no one spoke english. we walked in to a dirty unmade room then had some upset foreigner knock on our door and claim that we were in his room. He didn't speak english either. the manager never got around to see us. we weren't allowed to drink at the pool but everyone else that was from Mexico had their own ice chests. the bar couldn't sell us drinks to drink by the bar because they were out of plastic cups! again we couldn't even communicate with the restaurant staff because of the language barrier. the lobby is just a desk that you'd have in your study. we went to have breakfast and had timeshare sales people harassing us. this is absolutely the worst experience we've ever had at a hotel.

Room Tip: tell them that you are not interested in buying timeshare...maybe they'll leave you alone.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Victoria V
Dear Guest,

We apologize for the inconveniences, we have relayed them to our respective teams and owner and hope to have good news to share soon! I assure you that we are working very hard to improve every aspect of the Hotel, Our goal is to create memorable experiences for all of our guests.

South Padre Island, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

The thing about TripAdvisor is there are alot of complaints. I can tell you this much about this property and condos. For one, the three bedroom condos have more space than any other units you can rent together on South Padre Island. They also have a washer & dryer inside which you think you don't need but we used it alot. Yes, the appliances are white and not stainless steel. If that's a deal breaker to your vacation you shouldn't stay here. The views are great. The pool also is a walk in which is good for two reasons. 1.) kids, it's shallow and 2.) old folks. My mom has MS and shes ok to walk but...not really on climbing into a pool. That's a big plus. Yes, the service isn't like a Ritz Carlton, but the Ritz or Four Seasons is $400/night for a standard hotel room. Peninsula is $500 to $800 a night for a 1700 square foot three bedroom three bathroom condo that sleeps 10 people. I also noticed the showers outside at pool deck only ONE works, but with that said 5 of the 10 showers worked. It's real easy to point out flaws of course. As we live local and still stay at the property for mini vacations I have stayed here over 25 times and really know it in and out.

Room Tip: honestly even ground floor rooms have a view and with kids I'd ask if possible for ground floor...
1 Thank spiguy1733
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this positive review. We hope to see you soon!

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I booked a room here through a 3rd party 2 weeks ago. I called the hotel to confirm that they have indeed got our reservation and they told me that they can't check that since I booked through a 3rd party. If that's the case then I'm dreading check-in, how do I even know I have a room if they can't confirm it, and how do I know that they will not to sell my room to someone else if they can't confirm my reservation? After the unsuccessful phone call, I sent an email which they STILL haven't replied to! Upon contacting the agency I booked through, they told me the hotel would contact me to process my payment - it seems I'm being given the run around.- I'm a little concerned that these bad reviews are living up to reality, I had sincerely hoped they would be proved wrong. Not impressed.

2 Thank L C
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your honest feedback, we have taken every suggestion into consideration and are currently working hard and training our team to improve our customer service. Thank you for your time.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Note - I submitted this to the property via their website and did not get a reply. Maybe someone will read it here.

We checked in on 7/3. Parked in the parking lot and walked the 150 yards up the temporary drive in the heat. Couldn't figure out where to go so asked a maintenance man for directions. He spoke no English, but got me to the front desk where there were there were five Peninsula employees lounging around. I checked in and asked for a ride out to the car and a bellman to help with the luggage. Everyone pointed fingers at someone else to be the one to have to get up and help.

We eventually got up to the room and got settled in and headed out to the beach. We had a great time at the beach and decided to get some food at the restaurant on site. We went to the shower station to rinse the sand off of our feet to find that there was about an inch of sand under the showers and half of the sprayers didn’t work. We rinsed in the pool like everyone else evidently does seeing as how there's sand all over the bottom by the end of the day.

The restaurant was good. We were the only people in the entire place at 6PM on July 3rd, but the food and service were good. This was the first of several times that we were sales targets and invited to the timeshare meetings. I have NO intention of owning a timeshare. These sales pitches were a constant annoyance and not something I expected when I booked this place.

After dinner we headed up to our room, 402A. It was 77 degrees inside the room. A/C was set at 69 and there was no cold air blowing. I called the front desk and they sent maintenance up to the room. They guy spoke no English, I mean he couldn't even say "I don't speak English". So he radioed to the front desk and they called me to say that they had replaced a compressor on the roof today and that the room should be cooling off in 45 minutes or so and to call back if it didn't. I didn't believe this, but what was I going to do. Sure enough, the room did not cool off 45 minutes later, so I called back. Now they said that they had to add Freon and I should wait another 45 minutes. Cool air started blowing eventually, but the unit did not fully cool until after 1AM. My mother slept on the sofa in the living room because it was unbearable anywhere without a ceiling fan. **They sold me a room that was having the ac replaced the day we checked in.**

On Friday we woke up and headed to the beach and had a great time. It was really a good day. We heard one more sales pitch while sitting by the pool and had a few more invitations to the sales breakfast but overall, we were happy. Our two year old was tired, so instead of going to see the fireworks, we opted to eat in the room and relax. At 5PM the music started. They had hired a DJ for the holiday weekend ~ for the 15 people out by the pool. The speakers were pointed from the bar directly at our room and it was so loud that they might as well have been in the room. The music lasted for four hours until 9. The music lasted until 9:00. We had a three bedroom condo, and it wasn’t quiet enough anywhere in there for my daughter to fall asleep until after the music stopped.

I called down to order 3 burgers, a salad, and two pieces of cheesecake. Went down to pick it up and it was $66 despite the special that was going on - $6 burgers. I guess the special was not for to go orders.

Saturday morning, checkout. I called and requested two carts because we had a lot of luggage. The guy (who also spoke 0 English) showed up with one cart, and I told him that we’d need another. He ran off while we loaded ourselves on the cart that was there. He showed back up with a WHEELBARROW. It looked like something you would haul trash in, not luggage. We were ready to get out, so we loaded the rest of our stuff in there and he wheeled it downstairs and took off. My wife had to walk the 150 yards out to get the car, the shuttles were never around when you needed them. My mother did ask for a ride, and the guy who took her was a complete jerk. He could not have cared less about her complaint about the wheelbarrow. We had no help loading the car.

At $600+ per night this was completely and utterly unacceptable and absurd. I would never consider staying here again, much less buying in as an owner of this place. I’d like someone to contact me with some kind of reply.

Room Tip: Rooms over the pool will be loud if there is a DJ playing.
7 Thank TXN_TRAVELER
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback about your stay. We are very sorry for not meeting your expectations. The Hotel is now under new management, and we are working very hard and training the team at Peninsula to improve our customer service. All of your suggestions have been relayed to the respective departments. We hope to have good news to share soon about an upcoming refurbishment and a major overall positive change here at Peninsula! Thank You again for taking the time to write to us.