I've stayed in all kinds of hotels at all price points, from $6 a night hostels in the mountains of Peru and hideouts maintained by Jesuits in Cameroon West Africa, to suites in luxury resorts. If there is one thing they tend to have in common, it's some kind of honesty in advertising. In this case though, the name of the hotel is a laughable misnomer. The only word in the entire title that is accurate is "Island", which accurately describes the spot of dirt this building sits on.
When we drove up the the hotel, we wondered if we had the right place. The hotel appears to have stopped construction after the first two buildings, and a large dirt pad separates the small parking lot from the buildings. We were carried to the front desk in a badly beat up, extremely loud golf cart (I think maybe the engine didn't have any oil in it), where we were whisked into a make-shift office where the desk manager heated himself some chicken wings. After checking in and receiving our oddly unbranded key cards, we proceeded up to our room via some eerily-lit walkway, and each of us tried each of the three keys until we found one that worked. We opened the loose door handle, walked though the badly rusting door frame, and discovered that the safety lock had an odd repair which rendered it useless. The room itself was clean if spartan, the beds were adequate, and the a/c worked great. There is a little kitchenette which was convenient. Although there is a vertical sheer curtain, there are no blackout shades. We slept for a few hours, packed up, and headed to our early morning dive on the Texas Clipper.
While there was nothing terrible about the experience, there is a huge gap between what was advertised and priced at $229 a night, and the actual condition and service level this hotel offers, which is more consistent with a budget motel. If you are looking for a budget hotel for your family and happen to find a better rate than we did, this hotel might suffice. But if you expect a three or four star experience for $229 a night, I would look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled among the sea oats and sand dunes, and highlighted by the blue of the Gulf of Mexico, The Peninsula Island Resort and Spa South Padre Island, Texas is the perfect venue for a relaxing island escape. Located directly on the beach in the heart of South Padre Island's "hotel row", our upscale property opened in 2006, and combines the highest standards in construction with contemporary, tasteful design. The units are all well-appointed, and range in size from our very popular studio kitchenette units to our 3 bedroom/3 bath condominiums. With concrete walls, porcelain tile flooring, and leather furniture, our resort was designed to resist to mold, humidity and allergens all-too-often common near the sea. Our swimming pool is the largest infinity pool in South Texas, and features a convenient swim up bar. Each offers either a full kitchen or kitchenette, and everything else necessary to cook and serve a gourmet meal. If cooking is not your thing, Las Olas Restaurant Grill and Bar, located onsite, is considered by many to be one of the best restaurants on South Padre Island, and offers a variety of delicious homemade dishes available for in-room dining. All-in-all, the Peninsula is in a league of its own--offering the spacious luxury of a condominium, coupled with the service and appointments of an upper-tier resort hotel.In July 2016, we added 27 deluxe rooms, each room has high speed internet, two full size beds, sofabed, 42" TV with cable, and a minibar fridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Peninsula Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peninsula Island Hotel South Padre Island
- Peninsula Island Resort And Spa
- Peninsula South Padre Island
- South Padre Island Peninsula
- Peninsula Island Resort & Spa South Padre Island, Texas