“Dirty is the right word.”
Review of Dirty Al's

Dirty Al's
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: About Us Dirty Al’s has been in operation since 1986 and has always provided the freshest seafood to thousands of visitors from all over the world. As a family owned and operated business, we have always taken great pride in taking care of each customer and providing them with a unique experience that they can only get from eating at Dirty Al’s. Dirty Al promises every customer that they will only be served the absolute freshest seafood caught in the wild off the Gulf of Mexico. A Father and his Sons Make a Great Team! Alfonso Salazar, better known as “Dirty Al” originally started shrimping as a young man with his father and 6 brothers. In 2003, he and his youngest son, Cameron, who graduated from Culinary School, transformed his bait stand into a restaurant where together they have been known for having “The World’s Best Fried Shrimp”! In 2005, his other two sons returned home to help grow the business. To this day, they now own 6 restaurants on beautiful South Padre Island and continue to bring only the “best” Gulf Seafood to each customer’s table.
“Dirty is the right word.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are first time visitors to South Padre Island. At my father-in-law's insistence we went to Dirty Al's. It's a great location, across from Schlitterbahn water park on the very south of SPI, and very close to Laguna Madre. It is a one minute drive from the condo where we were staying.
The front porch was full of people waiting to get in. We got in the building and were escorted to the bar to wait for a table. To say the place was dirty is a gross understatement. I wanted salad, but was concerned about the hygienics of the kitchen, which I was standing just outside of and could see into. Instead, my hubby and I ordered a combo of fish, shrimp, (which I don't care for) and oysters(which I love), accompanied by onion rings. We had a wait of about twenty minutes for our food. During that twenty minutes the group of people behind us allowed their three children to run screaming around the bar dining area. We had a seven year old and seven month old with us who looked absolutely dumbfounded at the behavior of the children. No number of dirty looks stimulated any discipline from the parents or other adults at the table. What shocked me was none of the wait staff bothered to say anything or called a manager. Yes, my head was pounding by the time our food arrived.
Now...to the food...fish - cooked to the proper texture with tasteless breading. It tasted extremely bland...the oysters - same tasteless breading and seriously undercooked. I bit into one then spit it out. Hubby did the same...the shrimp - same tasteless breading. Well cooked...onion rings (my personal favorite side dish) - undercooked and tasted like stale repeatedly used oil. Hubby and I will NEVER go back.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Helen B

Houston, Texas, United States
“Good Food”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Pretty simple restaraunt, not too expensive. Really good fried shrimp. The service is good and the food comes out pretty fast. right next to the activity center with fishing, parasailing and all that. great place to go to after a day of adventure.

Visited August 2014
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Plastic Eating utensils.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Food was good but if you get there after 7:00 be prepared for a wait. Try to sit in the room with the windows because the back too by the bar is dark and dreary. The shrimp kabobs were amazing as were the oysters but why couldn't they use silverware? It is had to cut things with cheap plastic forks. Be sure to bring things for small children to play with because the wait is long even if you get seated quickly

Visited August 2014
“Lunch at the beach In SPI”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This place didn't look very appealing from the outside and the inside was ok. The service there was amazing. Out food came fast and hot. We had fried fish and shrimp and salad. I don't eat fried foods but took a chance. It was soooo delicious. A manager came to our table to say hi and we chatted for awhile. He was very nice and he enjoyed our compliments. We will definitely be bank.

Katy, Texas
“shrimp!!!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The best shrimp and crab fingers I have had a
in long time! Prices were real reasonable too! They got pretty crowded....but it was a Friday night. A little disorganized on the wait....would be good if they handed out pagers or something to notify you when your table is ready. Do highly recommend though!

• Visited August 2014