“Good but left with bad impression but will be back :)”

Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cafe, Seafood
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Fort Worth, Texas
“Good but left with bad impression but will be back :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were seated at 11:04 AM, breakfast is served until 11:00. I asked immediately before she even left table asking if I could still order breakfast as I had my heart and stomach set on Eggs Benedict which I heard were great from here. Response was sorry, we already took a lunch order so we can't, no let me check or anything, just walked off. So, had to reboot and decide on lunch which I was not ready for. Ended up ordering a shrimp basket which I have to say was the best shrimp meal I had on the island and I ordered shrimp in some form from every restaurant we went to. Nice big shrimp, cooked perfectly, fries were great too. So, although, I was disappointed about breakfast and the lack of customer service provided, we will be back this time nice and early.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Tim G

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Fun place for happy hour, appetizers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Right on the beach, great people, sit outside under covered patio, and cheap afternoon appetizers...quesadilla under $5. Great with the Shiner Bock dark beer.
Kinda hidden away, have to look for it, but worth it

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Janeway9
tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
We're so happy you enjoyed your visit to our Café! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. It sure makes us feel good to see a happy customer!

Now we need to get you back to enjoy breakfast at our Café!

Thanks again!

Texas
“Great food, Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I enjoy eating at this establishment whenever we visit the island. The restaurant area is nestled at the end of the motor hotel just over looking the beach area. We have had breakfast and brunches many times here and they seem to be quite consistent with their food. Their breakfasts are well served and quite tasty. Their pancakes are actually good as well. During the summer months, we prefer to dine in the early morning or late afternoon when the heat of the day has settled a bit. I believe if they installed some type of fan(s) that bow out cold air it would be even more enjoyable I must admit. The seating area is not large, therefore, be prepared to wait a bit if you come up to the restaurant at peak periods of the day.
On the day that we visited my wife and daughter shared a large burger that was more than enough for the both of them. I, on the other hand went for the Grilled "sashimi grade" Tuna plate on the recommendation of our server "Celina". Honestly, it was far better in flavor than I anticipated. I would definitely have this in future visits.
What my wife and I enjoy about this place is that the servers are pretty darn good about keeping tabs on you in case you need anything. They are always visible.
So, in case you're looking for another place to dine other than the usual spots on the island try this place out.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank southtexastraveller
Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback. I'm delighted you had such a pleasant experience. I took to-heart your comment about cool air. We did add additional fans this year to generate more air movement. We'll investigate other options for ways to dissipate heat from the air we're moving. We know we can't air condition an outdoor café, but perhaps we can find something that either improves air flow and/or cools the area to improve the overall experience.

Thanks again for your feedback!!

Theresa
“View is nice, the rest is eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Hard to find this place.. Although there is a sign you can visibly see while driving on the road, finding the actual café was rather difficult. We had to go into the office to ask where it was, and found it was only accessible via the gate to the pool?? Weird, but nevertheless we proceeded. The server(s) seemed like they had something better to do than take our order (in other words talk about how annoying it is to have customers that use cell phones, or to have customers at all), despite the fact that we were the only customers there. Average food/beverage experience, I cannot comment on the bar since I did not go up there. Aside from all averageness, the view was nice!Basically what they advertised on that front. If you go anytime before 10 am the sun's glare should be right in your face the whole time :)

1 Thank Ayla R
I'm so sorry you didn't have a better experience when you visited our Café. I have attempted to respond to your concerns here, but I'll also reach out directly to you for more input that may help us improve future service and overall guest experiences.

First - you are correct that our little Café is tucked away on the "beach side" of our hotel. We chose that location because of the wonderful views of the Gulf of Mexico. In the next few weeks we are making modifications that will make access to the Café much easier and more obvious to first-time visitors. We're installing a new fence to separate the pool area from the patio seating area of the Café. This separation will allow us to legally remove the current gates at the north and south entrances. We agree with you that having to go through the pool gate to get to our Café is, to use your word, weird.

With regard to the servers not being more attentive to you, we have discussed your posting with them and stressed, once again, the importance of immediately greeting and attending to our customers. Nothing is more important to us than our customers! Nothing!

I'm very sorry you found the food and beverages to be "average". We strive to be far above average, so I'd like to reach out to you directly to get additional input so we can make whatever changes are required to improve.

With regard to the sun before 10 in the morning, we have semi-sheer fabric sun-shades that roll down to block direct sunlight from getting in our customers' eyes. Most customers love to sit along the outer railing of the Café so they can enjoy the sights and sounds of the ocean. The sunshades enhance that experience by keeping the direct sun out of their eyes. There is also plenty of seating on the interior of the Café where we get lots of indirect sunlight.

I look forward to learning more about your experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to give feedback. We are constantly striving to improve. The feedback we get from Trip Advisor postings is invaluable!

Thank you.
Austin, Texas
“Excellent margaritas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and both ordered top shelf margaritas and the bartender made them just right! I ordered the grilled red snapper sandwich and highly recommend it. My husband had the cheeseburger - he liked it. A definite must if you are on the island!

Visited July 2014
Thank you so much for the favorable feedback! I'm delighted you enjoyed our top shelf margaritas, as well as the snapper sandwich and the cheeseburger (two of my favorites!!).

We look forward to your return!