“Enjoyable Family Dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shrimp Haus

Shrimp Haus
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Shrimp Haus Restaurant features gulf views and great food. With 101 ways to eat shrimp, plus steaks, seafood, burgers, pizzas and more, all served in a family-friendly environment, the Shrimp Haus is well-known for its diverse, reasonably priced menu. Boasting the Island's best margaritas and featuring live entertainment most evenings, the Shrimp Haus is open year-round. Located adjacent to the Schlitterbahn Beach Resort and Waterpark, the restaurant caters to a wide array of guests. Signature dishes include Coconut Fried Shrimp, Lobster Burritos and Fried Ice Cream.
College Station, Texas
“Enjoyable Family Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our family had dinner at the Shrimp Haus while staying next door at the Schlittebahn resort. Even though it was after 8:00, the restaurant was still moderately busy. I asked for a table with a view and received a nice table near the windows. We dined on peel-and-eat boiled shrimp and fried shrimp. Boring I know… since they have so many offerings. Both were excellent. We were really there because we saw advertising for their all-you-can-eat salad bar at our hotel. In our minds, we were expecting a big grand overflowing production. Our first impression was, “That’s the salad bar? Wow. It’s tiny.” But, when we actually went to get the salads, we found everything that we could want, and all of it fresh. A pleasant surprise.

The food and drinks were very good, but the real surprise of the night was dessert. Since we had all eaten way too much already (I made four trips to the salad bar..) we didn’t really NEED dessert, but I had promised the girls that they could get something; they chose the fried ice cream. Since it was only $7 I assumed it would be something small, and we would each get a couple bites. I was way wrong. It was a huge heap of creamy, crunchy, chocolaty goodness that we forced ourselves to devour.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MkBibble
Mike B, Manager at Shrimp Haus, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to "re-post".

The Fried Ice Cream is a huge hit with our Guests and can feed up to four easily.

The shrimp is purchased locally directly from the shrimp boats to ensure the highest quality.

For other readers of the post and my comments, I sincerely appreciate the fact that this review was "re-posted" and the initial post pulled when he felt the original post to be less positive than the goal.

We have taken to heart the salad bar mentions, and while large by "Island standards", not as large as many of us are used to seeing in other restaurants around the country.

The freshness is always there however and we have "tweaked" much of our messaging to portray the quality vs. the quantity of items available (about two dozen).

Once again, it is a pleasure to comment and interact with folks that take the time to so thoughtfully comment on their experiences.

Thanks again,

Port Isabel, Texas
“Surprised :(”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Came there last week with family to kick off their vacation/bday. Had eaten before outside in waterpark and was pleased. But was disappointed after dinning upstairs inside. Took forever before waiter arrived ( was only one other family inside at this time dinning) lots of staff running around prepping. Made our order of drinks and took so long thought we needed to go to bar and make our own. Placed an order for an appitizer ( which never came) two of the four plates delivered were cold :( , I asked the waiter regarding our appitizer he appologized and went and ordered it then. Hello didn't want it after the fact ! No one returned with the condiments requested so I had to flag down another staff who did assist. Then when almost done with meal waiter shows up with appitizer .... not good not good at all. Was very disappointed that the offer to remove it or comp it wasn't offered. We were very disappointed and will not return. BUT I do have to say that twice the waterpark service/food is all together a better experience.

• Visited June 2014
Mike B, Manager at Shrimp Haus, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience and my apologies for the anomaly in our service and the food quality.

I wished one of our managers had spoken to you at the time so that we could have rectified the situation right then and there. I am surprised in the breakdown in attention during your visit and can only hope that you will give us a try again on your next visit to see what we really provide to thousands of customers per year.

I am sharing your post with not only our food and beverage management team but asking that it be posted and shared with all of our staff to stress the importance of each Guest and our efforts to exceed your expectations.

Thanks,
Salida
“Only if you are visiting the water park”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The salad bar offering is tiny and the food was average. Our friend had the pizza, which he said was good. But we had better seafood elsewhere. We got a taxi to come here thinking it would be a nice dinner out... Fail. It is really just a place to eat if you are at the water park.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Brandy C
Mike B, Manager at Shrimp Haus, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
“Only if you are visiting the water park”

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 NEW

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

While I am happy to hear about the pizza, I am disappointed that the seafood did not meet your expectations. We purchase local directly from the Gulf shrimpers and bread the shrimp daily to maintain the highest quality and freshness.

Our salad bar is one of the larger ones on the Island featuring two dozen items to select from and is complimentary (almost unheard of these days) with entrée selections.

We are open year-round and entertain many Guests who are not attending the waterpark and have been acknowledged for our quality shrimp dishes.

Hopefully, you will give us another opportunity upon your next visit.

Thanks,
Tomball, Texas
“Spend your money elsewhere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This place is mediocre at best. There are several restaurants on the island that are better. It is convenient to Shlitterbaun however the food is not good. I ordered the fried fish and shrimp and the fish fillets were not good at all. The shrimp was ok but for the money I have had better. My advice is to visit the island and eat somewhere else. The service was ok, however my wife asked if she could substitute one item for another and was told no. Overall disappointing and we will not be back to this place on our return trip.

• Visited June 2014
Mike B, Manager at Shrimp Haus, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thanks for your candid opinion and reviewing the Shrimp Haus.

I am surprised about your shrimp comments as very few places can offer shrimp that is purchased directly from the boat as we do ensuring the quality and freshness that most of our Guests insist on.

I have shared your comments with our restaurant staff as substitutions are available and an obvious mistake was made on the server's end to not try and accommodate your wishes.

We hope to see you back for another chance and see why we are one of the most popular Island restaurants around.

Humble, Texas
“Great spot in Schlitterbahn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Grandaughters and I had lunch during our stay in Schlitterbahn. Shrimp was good and prices were very reasonable. Way above normal park food. Atmosphere was great-- only wish they had an outside area where kids could have swimsuits on rather than having to return to room and get coverups on.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank nana1003
Mike B, Manager at Shrimp Haus, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thanks for the nice words....shrimp is purchased directly from the local fisherman so you can always count on the freshest Gulf shrimp around!

Sorry that you weren't informed about our outside area where folks who wish to relax and stay in their swimsuits are allowed to dine and still enjoy the entire menu!

Come back soon!