“Best place for horseback riding”

Marshall Creek Ranch
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Southlake
Alexandria, VA
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best place for horseback riding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and daughter went on a 1.5 hour sunset ride. Not the typical trail ride! The wranglers were very nice, allowed the horses to trot at times, and made the ride very enjoyable. Very friendly and low-key staff. Horses are very well taken care of.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Natasha R

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We brought the kids (12, 10 & 8) to Dallas from Chicago and our family in the area suggested this outing. Each of our kids have ridden and we were all comfortable with the intermediate level. They all had previous experience trotting and walking. It was a good fit for us. However, my daughters had ridden at a horse camp that taught them to "post" (go up and down with each movement WITH the horses gait) when trotting. Marshall Creek uses the "Jockey trot" which is standing the whole time - and it took my girls a few rounds of trotting to figure out the standing position. The owner took us on the trail ride and was very helpful giving my girls (and all of us) just enough redirection to help us. In my opinion, the trot felt faster than a trot... is more of a canter... Fast... so be prepared if you are not really an intermediate rider. Maybe a north/south style difference...
We forgot to complete our PayPal order before we left town and they were so kind to call the day before the ride to remind us that they hadn't received payment. Handled very professionally.
The horses were beautiful. Each has it's own personality and it was great to hear the owner (Shanda, I think was her name) help us get to know them all a bit before we took off on the trail.
We had a great ride. Usually I feel like trail rides end before I'm ready, but our butts and knees were ready when it was time to return to the barn.
As a side note, Shanda gave us the best tips on enjoying the rest of the day in Fort Worth. We had a great day thanks to her tips! Thanks to all!

2 Thank KT40
Garland, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relaxing and Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I love to ride and been looking for a place to do so since I've moved to the DFW area. I came across Marshall Creek Ranch online and decided to give them a call and go that day. I told them I would like the advanced level but I was told that I need to do a check ride at intermediate first with a wrangler. When I arrived the horses were already tacked up and waiting. The ladies running the ranch that day were all very friendly. I found out that I was the only one for the upper riding levels for the time slot so I will be solo with 2 wranglers (1 to lead the other to do my check ride). I love that they do solo rides and the different abilities. I had so much fun doing a bunch of trotting instead of being stuck at a walk in a long line like most places. The trails were beautiful and got to see a bit of the lake in the distance. It was too cold to go near the water but next time I hope to. I cant wait to return and try the advanced level ride.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cynthia A
Honolulu, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fun event for the family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My family was visiting Texas for the first time and I wanted to do something different. We had a group of 8, ages from 5 to 80 yrs old and everyone had a great time. The 5 yr. old did a "ride along" with a female wrangler and we did a beginner's trail ride around grapevine lake. The people here are very nice and took the time to fit everyone to their horses. We'll be going again since the children especially had a fun time. The next day, most of us had sore butts and legs...worthwhile though!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank HJ M
Fairfax, Virginia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very pretty horse ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I liked this horse ride, was offered a helmet, asked about experience and fitted into the saddle. I didn't realise however that beginner means just walking, no trotting not even at the end. I probably should have clarified, as I assumed intermediate was for much more confident riders, but I have done previous trail rides where you get to trot at the end if you feel comfortable.
However, the scenery is beautiful, the guides are helpful and the horses are just lovely. Highly recommended - just clarify what type of ride you are after before you set off as there is no switching later.
It is also very good value for money in relation to other ride offerings that I looked at or have done in the past

Visited August 2013