“STANDARD HOLIDAY INN”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Spring
Texas
“STANDARD HOLIDAY INN”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Clean, spacious room, microwave and refrig. Outdoor pool too cold to swim in; hot tub exceeded recommended temps; steam room and sauna didn't seem to be working.
Breakfast standard fare.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travelingonabudget

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2009

This was my first stay at an HIE hotel, and I was pretty happy all around with it. The hotel is situated right on I-45, close to the mall, and the Woodlands Pavillion so there is plenty close by. Check in was quick and efficient, although the young guy behind the counter while wasn't rude, didn't seem like he wanted to be there. The room was nice although not as big as it seemed online was clean and comfortable. The bed was very plush, with pillows labled as firm or soft. The couch in the suite was comfy, but some of the furnature looked beat up, and the chair seemed a little on the dingy side. The fridge and coffee maker area was decent, and the shower was very nice, with great temperature and easy access. TV channel looked great on the plastic stand-up guide near the bed, but only about half of the channels listed are available, and many are spanish only. The rooms were pretty quiet, but road noise can be noticed in the room, and some mainenance was being done outside so loud banging was our alarm clock monday morning. The buffet breakfast had several options and was pretty good. (not gormet, but filling nonetheless) Checkout went a little better than check in, but was still fast and efficient. Overall this is a great place to catch some z's and I would be ok with staying here again. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 29 April 2009

This hotel has a pool which is nice. The rooms were decent and the free breakfast was ok. Recommended as a temporary stay in the city.

• Liked — Service and facitlities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
Philly
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We booked online and took a flight from Philadelphia to Texas. We arrived in the middle of the night only to be told they had no more rooms. They claimed the internet overbooked rooms???? We had to stay at the La Quinta next door which was a very nice hotel. The next day the Holiday Inn gave us an upgrade on the second floor. It was a nice room except you could hear every footstep above you. The guest in the room above us awoke at 5:00am only to powerwalk across the floor which kept me awake until they left at 8:00am. I wish we could have stayed at the La Quinta.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I stayed for 5 nights during a business trip. This hotel is wood framed, so if you are on the 1st or 2nd floor you will hear every footstep of the people in the room above you. I must have had a herd of cattle in the room above me based upon the amount of stomping and running around I heard. If you are a light sleeper and need a very quiet environment, then this is not the hotel for you.

There was also a noticable problem with insects on the property during my stay. One morning, there was a Daddy-Long-Legs swimming in the gravy at the breakfast buffet, and I killed several other types of spiders while in my room.

Also, the housekeeping was substandard. I returned to my room around 4pm every day, and two days in a row my room had not been cleaned.

I had no problems using the wireless Internet. That was one of the few highlights of my stay. Thg staff that I encountered were friendly, although the check-in clerk did not offer me a Platinum upgrade nor the king bed room that I had requested.

Overall, it's not a dump, but I've stayed in MUCH nicer HI Express properties. So, I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you are staying in this part of Houston.

• Liked — Friendly staff and Wi-Fi Internet
  • Disliked — Noise, poor housekeeping schedule, general lack of cleanliness.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 17 April 2008

While the room was clean, I found the mattresses in my room (144) worn and thin. The beds are low to the ground. The wireless internet did not work (I was able to pick up the wireless from the La Quinta next door, however, which worked great).

The biggest problem with this hotel is the paper thin walls. I could hear everything anyone said in the rooms on both sides of me; I was awoken several times by the footsteps of the people above me. All the doors slam and when people in the hall leave or enter their rooms, the whole building seems to shake. I didn't notice noise from the interstate, but I was bothered numerous times by the conversations (in reasonable tones) from people standing outside my room in the parking lot.

My stay was booked here only because nothing else was available. I will drive further into Houston next time, if need be, when staying in the Woodlands area.

• Liked — Check in was quick and smooth.
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls, wireless internet did not work.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
anigurl715
Reviewed 2 January 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a business trip. The continental breakfast was one of the better breakfasts I have experienced on the road. The rooms were nice, clean and fairly quiet. (I did have a random person try to get into my room and as a young female in an unfamilar place, that was a little scary!!) I also experienced some issues with the high speed internet but I was able to work around it for a few hours until it was back up. They don't offer room service but they do have a service to order from a third party, which is delivered to the room. The soggy chicken nuggets, watery salad and the wrong soda arrived at my door in a reasonable amount of time but it pained me to have to pay $22 for it. If you are arriving late, pick up dinner on your way in!! If you are going to be local to the hotel, getting around the area can be frustrating if you're not familar. Overall it wasn't bad--I did appreciate the fitness facility.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled solo