“Black sheep in town”

The Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #10 of 528 Restaurants in Spring
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Short version. Joe and I (Maria) moved to Houston in February of 2012. After a long weekend visit which we spent in The Woodlands in January of 2012, we decided to make a move, very spur of the moment. After returning from our visit, it only took a few days to decide to move. Eight days later, Joe packed his car armed with his chef knives, coats and bare necessities looking forward to a 3 day journey to Texas. We came down with no family ties, but with our families, no distance can keep us apart. So with their blessing, we were determined to make it work, and we did. I met Joe down here a month later with our dogs and a few belongings. Joe worked downtown as executive chef with the Mandola family on West Dallas Street, Up Restaurant in Highland Village and finally at Mo's "A Place for Steak" in The Galleria. The Rest, come in and we will tell ya!
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Ive written about eateries around the world but I never thought I'd be motivated to write one about a place in Spring, Tx. I tried it for the first time tonight and was vey impressed. Started off with the oysters with sofito. Wow. Paired with a Syrah Rose. Good choice. This was followed by the roasted chicken, finger potatos and asparagus paired with a to-die-for Rioja. I savored every bite. If for some reason you are ever in Old Town Spring you MUST pay a visit. Excellent menu, meticulously prepared food, good wine list and service. This is not a mirage. Its an oasis.

2  Thank 233rickb

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my second time to eat at this outstanding restaurant in Old Town Spring. The transplanted young chef from New York is the real thing. He and his young wife have not yet remolded but have plans to do so. The location and surroundings belie the fact that this is as good as any restaurant in metropolitan Houston. The food and presentation are a testimony to the chef. The crab cake is excellent, as is a certain shrimp dish (forgot the name) served in a small glass container. Both look like appetizers but you will be surprised by how filling they are. A pasta dish was also excellent. The creme brûlée and the mixed berry tart are delicious. Nothing here is ordinary. You will have to pay for it, so if you want a cheaper place to dine, this is not what you are looking for. Turn on side street across from museum. Entrance is on the side street and signage is easy to miss. Main Street is a bit misleading. They are closed Mondays and from 3 to 5 afternoons. I am not connected in any way to the owners, but they deserve patronage from all who appreciate fine dining.

1  Thank John G
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The food was awesome! Great presentation also. Staff very friendly. For the area I wasn't expecting much but it was way above my expectation. I even went back today for a second time and tried two more items which were great. Their homemade bread and garlic butter was really good too.

1  Thank Mona S
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This little unassuming house tucked away in Old town Spring is a delightful find ! It's not only quaint but yet sophisticated and the food ... Well the food is tantalizingly good , each bit perfectly balanced and delightfully tasty.

1  Thank Cherie G
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Most dining options in Old Spring offer basic soups, salad, kid-friendly options and items to get you on your way and shopping again. The Black Sheep Bistro offers you the option of actually dining, enjoying those with whom you're dining and having a meal you can discuss afterward. The menu features items from the owners' ethnic backgrounds...Greek and Italian. There are also grown up slider options, several sophisticated salads and a decent wine list. I confess my friends and I were on a shopping trip, but we were not in a hurry and wanted to savor our moments together which we did. The luncheon chicken souvlaki was tart, moist and very satisfying. A friend had the beet salad and was very pleased with the two types of beets and the homemade dressing. A basket of warm bread preceded our meal and it hit the spot...as did the iced tea on a very hot July day. We split a chocolate mousse for dessert and it was creamy with a rich chocolate profile that was very satisfying. Our waiter knew the menu, was able to make suggestions based on our questions. The restaurant is in an old house, as are most of the Old Spring establishments. It is not particularly handicap accessible, but it is nicely set up for small groups, couples or ladies who lunch. When returning to Spring I will come back to this restaurant and try some other menu items.

1  Thank HebbieDacker