“Ok if room is DEEPLY discounted”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Stafford
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Stafford
“Ok if room is DEEPLY discounted”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Full Disclosure: our room was DEEPLY discounted through the American Cancer Society.

The entire facility is in desperate need of an overhaul, that said, almost all of our complaints would be fixed with a renovation. The room was very nice and spacious, very quiet, we never heard neighbors, and despite being motel style felt very safe. The surrounding area didn't feel unsafe, we just prefer not to open to the outside. Full kitchen with dishwasher and two burner stove top. The dishwasher was connected to a strange light switch on the wall, so initially we thought it didn't work. The kitchen light was temperamental and required flipping the switch multiple times in order for it to turn on. We have never experienced an air unit like this one, the options were high fan, low fan, off, with no thermostat to set - so a fan was blowing all the time and the air unit would kick on and off "as needed" but I have no idea what determined that. The room was always very comfortable and we stopped hearing the fan after a while, it was just constant white noise in the room. The decor was dated, but had nice amenities including onsite laundry, which we used, and a few workout machine we did not, and a pool. There were no bed bugs as mentioned in previous reviews and, with a discount we would stay here again. For an extended stay we had a safe, comfortable place to sleep and cook our own meals, which helped save money. With a nice renovation we would even consider staying at full price.

Staff was very nice and we only ran into one issue upon checkout. We checked out before dawn, the front door was locked and I had to wait for the girl to open it. We checked out two days earlier than we had planned, but had called the day before and were told it wouldn't be an issue. The girl running the desk overnight was not able to check us out because, in her own words, "they didn't teach me how to do this." She said the morning staff would have to refund the remaining balance and complete the check out process when they got in around 7. She left a note and we will see. I did take the managers card to call in case this doesn't happen. This is a staffing (and professionalism) issue that probably should be addressed, but would not come in to play if we were deciding to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shelby D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dallas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We reserved this hotel via Hotwire for a night's stay in Houston while attending a party. It's a nice, clean place in a decent, quiet location; and it was very close to where we needed to be. The price was good ($50/night) and you get a full kitchen, free wireless, and free light breakfast. The only problem I had with it was it didn't provide shampoo, and there was no ice; we had to go to a Walgreen that's just around the corner to get those supplies.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TommieP

Travellers are raving about these Stafford hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I was trying to save a few bucks. I've tried 2-3 star places before but haven't encountered a disappointment like this since the 80's. In fact, I think that was the last time this establishment had any maintenance or repairs done. The water was hot and pressure was good. That's the only positives I can state. The décor is garage-sale 70's. The upkeep is non existent with cracked tiles and moldy showers. There was ZERO maid service. Air conditioning sounded like a diesel truck was idling in my room. Spend the extra $10 and get something without the avocado and gold color scheme.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stay at these ESA all the time. They all vary, but this one does have a bug problem. Our room was okay , the furniture did look very used, especially the sofa /stained. I always check under my sheets no matter if its a 3/5 star hotel . What a surprise to see the mattress cover that was stained and had someone else's hair woven into the fibers. They did bring me clean linens when I showed it to them but.... That's sooo GROSS !! bathrooms had a moldy smell. there are other ESA's in the area fairly close by , the real one's with everything indoor. I would try another one. I saw drug dealing and prostitution going on. I guess those people live at the hotel. Lots of unwatched children running around. They were nice kids but... dontcha think at a hotel, where any predator could be.!!! They would keep a better eye on them. very sad ! : ( So It's close to a walmart and many restaurants and a gas station . Also close to a shopping strip mall . most of the staff were nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
West Hollywood, California
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I felt like I was staying at the bates motel. Filthy curtains, carpet, and bedspread. I had to wear socks the entire time I was in the room. Everything but the sheets had stains on them. Absolutely gross. I wouldn't ever recommend this place. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Stafford, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that the cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with our housekeeping staff to ensure your experience is not repeated.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at hsf@extendedstay.com We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is a real review that is not being posted by an angry customer but someone who would like to make others aware of what they are getting into. My room had many roaches. Staff was amazing but roaches!??! now i see reviews for bed bugs....I hope I did not bring any home. Upon checkout staff member told me they were aware of the roaches. Also, this resembles a motel not a hotel! All doors lead to the outside. Ruined my Christmas vacation with my husband. Hotwire gave us this room. i have stayed in 2 star hotels and had a awesome room but this was disgusting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Filthy disgusting rooms. Go anywhere but here. Furniture is old and worn. Carpeting has never been clean, bugs everywhere. It's so loud at all times you can never get a good night sleep and employees are very rude!

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Stafford, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that your room was cleaned properly. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I am working with the housekeepers and maintenance to make sure this matter doesn't happen again. Also, we are excited to share that we are in the process of updating our furniture.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at hsf@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stafford
Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land
Sleep Inn & Suites Stafford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston Stafford Sugar Land
Staybridge Suites Houston Stafford
Holiday Inn Houston SW - Sugar Land Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Stafford Sugarland

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - Stafford? Share your experiences!