“Major disappointment ”

Americas Best Value Inn- Stephenville
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Stephenville
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I agonized over how to review this place.
Rate it a five? Never.
Four? Naw.
Maybe a three is where the story begins.
Our family was in town attending a college event.
Searching for an economical alternative, I found the ABVI.
Made my reservation on their corporate website.
Upon arrival, we were assigned a room a the back of the property.
After enduring a night loaded with noisy neighbors and someone grilling outside their room, we came to discover that this is a section where a rougher, regular crowd typically is housed.
I called the front desk to complain and they succeeded in quieting the outside noise only by moving the party indoors!
I complained the next morning again and never received as much as even a basic apology. All I was told was that they had no rooms available to move us to.
Apparently the front desk clerk heard my wife and I discussing our dissatisfaction and we were ultimately offered a room change, which we accepted.
There property is old and rough around the edges and some places in between. Basic maintenance is lacking in many areas in the room and bathroom. Outside railings needed a good deal of sprucing up. The landscaping around the pool was overgrown and littered. The pool itself was dirty. One day we walked over to look at the pool and several drunkards were swimming and hanging about. I would not allow my kids to swim there.
The impression I got was that this was the type of crowd they cater to.
The "continental" breakfast was fairly stale and uninspired as well.
Yes, you get what you pay for so, I will not pay for a room here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank texowicz
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn- Stephenville

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is the third time we have stayed here. The rooms have always been very clean and neat on arrival. We have never had a bad smelling room here. I have found the beds are quite comfortable. I always have issues of restful sleep in other hotels across the country, but Stephenville ABVI I enjoy. Breakfast consists of coffee, fruits, cereals (dry),milk,waffle maker,sweet rolls and toast. The wifi is not the fastest but you can get around. This stay had us in a distant room. The wifi was much better this time than previous stays at closer proximity to lobby. The staff have always been friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant next door named "Peacocks". Very affordable with good tasting menu. Open 24 hrs.

Room Tip: All rooms very quiet. This stay #39 near end across from pool wifi was the best so far. 3 bars.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 20 January 2014

You can tell it's an older property but maintained very well and the rooms are clean and cozy, the bathtub could be updated some and the exhaust fan was a little noisy in Rm 25 but not a deal breaker. Very friendly desk clerks at Check in and Check out. We normally stay at Best Westerns and since this property used to be a Best Western I chose it because of that. It took us all of 5 minutes to get to the College which was a big plus and the rate was very reasonable. We didn't eat the breakfast cause it wasn't the Hot Breakfast we are normally used to when staying at Best Westerns but since this is no longer that Hotel chain might explain the limited selections on the Breakfast Bar, there were the waffles but no eggs or gravy or sausage like I had read about in other reviews. But on the upside we ate Dinner and Breakfast at the 24 Hour Restaurant that is literally in the parking lot which serves some really awesome food and possibly the Best Breakfast I have ever ate and they have a sign out front that states just that, The Restaurant is Peacocks and I highly suggest it.

Back to the room, The rooms were quiet and the Wifi was awesome and the room heater worked very well. Will stay there again for sure

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vickie Massey C
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Good value, room was very clean, and quiet. I have stayed in Stephenville many times and this was the second time staying at this hotel. I had trouble with the wi fi but not a big deal to me. Credit card machine was down on arrival , but person at desk took all information and I went to my room. When credit card machine came back up my credit card was run with no problem.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I usually stay at high dollar hotels, but with this being a small town and homecoming weekend I was sure I was going to have a terrible experience.
We arrived at the hotel at 4:00 from a long 5 hour drive. I room's were ready and clean.
The front desk girl on this day was very helpful in getting us directions to the stadium. (which was only 3 minutes away).
They provided breakfast the next morning and it was good. It wasn't anything to write home about. but they had biscuits and gravy, sausage, and pastries and eggs and cereal.
Coffee, juice, and milk as well.
It was very quite at night, and we didn't have any issues with our room.
I would stay here again in the event I needed it.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms close to the office. It has better lighting.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stopped 1 night here. Great price, clean room, all conveniences: microwave , refrig. Lots of space for trailer parking. Next door to 24 hr restaurant. Friendly staff. Even has pens for your horse. Right on highway.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Leigh A
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This motel had very clean rooms, new carpet, and friendly staff. It's a great value for the Stephenville area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wdbird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stephenville
Super 8 Stephenville
#8 of 10 in Stephenville
Hico Hills Inn
Hico Hills Inn
#2 of 2 in Hico

Been to Americas Best Value Inn- Stephenville? Share your experiences!