“Perfect for R & R”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rose Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stonewall
Rose Hill Manor
Ranked #2 of 2 Stonewall B&B and Inns
“Perfect for R & R”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I booked Rose Hill Manor based on Tripadvisor recommendations and we were not disappointed! We booked two cottages with the verandas and were amazed with the beautiful view. The cottages are great for an evening rest on the veranda - we sat around on Saturday evening catching up with friends- very relaxing.

We loved the decor - very old fashioned yet there is a TV! The cottages were a very generous size and had everything you could need

We had dinner on the Friday night so we could explore on Saturday- we all had the steak so I can't comment on any other options - I was really surprised by how great the meal was!!

The breakfasts were just amazing and possibly my favorite thing about Rose Hill - the french toast is excellent and all my friends raved about the eggs benedict. Lots of juice and coffee and really sets you up for a day of exploring.

The B & B is in a great location for exploring - LBJ ranch, Fredericksburg, wineries etc. In fact they give you a map and coupons for local destinations. Check out the Garrison distillery.

Also the deer, llamas and Samantha(resident dog) added to the general atmosphere of the B & B..Feeding the llamas was a blast!

We will return to Rose Hill Manor and have more french toast!!

Room Tip: The only options available to us when we booked were the cottages so I can't speak for the main...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChicaTexas_USA
chocolatewoman, Owner at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words re: Rose Hill. I will tell the breakfast chef you liked that french toast - we all like it too! Glad you enjoyed the new porches in the front of the Jasmine and Laurel cottages. Bob is just finishing those, and as soon as the contractor can get to us, we'll make it so you can go out the front door right onto the deck. We think the view is wonderful from that deck. Come back and see us again at Rose Hill!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We checked in on a Saturday afternoon right at 3PM. Since it had been raining all day in Fredericksburg we were anxious to find the room and relax. We were greeted upon arrival and given a tour of the main house. We felt at home immediately. We were escorted to our cottage (we stayed at the Oak Grove Cottage) and the amenities were explained to us. The room was spotless and we loved the way the room was decorated. The bathroom is large and the towels are so soft. The bed is so comfortable as well. We had dinner there on Saturday night which worked out great because it was still raining outside and we did not want to venture out again. Dinner was delicious. The grilled spearfish was very good and the salad was wonderful. You can tell that the chef goes to great lengths to pair ingredients that go well together. Our waiters were very attentive. Breakfast both days was enjoyable as well. I had eggs benedict the first morning and french toast the second morning. Breakfast was so filling that we did not need lunch either day we were there. The muffins are very good as well. We enjoyed watching the deer play in the field next to the house and my husband made quick friends with the dog Samantha. There are also Llamas on the premises. The view is awesome. I could have sat on the deck and stared out at the countryside forever. I have a very stressful job and this is just the getaway I needed. My husband and I both agree that we will stay here again. It is so convenient to everything in the area, especially LBJ Ranch and Fredericksburg.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ILuvtotravel48
chocolatewoman, Manager at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you so much for choosing Rose Hill Manor and for your wonderful comments! We are
truly delighted that your stay brought you the rest you needed. On behalf of Patti and Bob, Samantha-dog, and all the staff of Rose Hill Manor, please know that it means so much. We will be looking forward to your next visit with us.

Dianne Smith & Adam Ehmer, Innkeepers
Hurst, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

As a native Texan, all of my life I'd heard about Fredericksburg. How beautiful the hill country was and the great shopping. We were very excited about going and sought out what seemed to be the perfect place to stay. I have to say, the accommodations were every bit as nice as I'd read about from other reviews. I couldn't believe how extroadinarily beautiful the setting was and was really impressed by the room. HOWEVER, communication is key - and we found communication to be lacking. When we arrived LATE Friday evening, we were told we would need to choose what dinner we wanted for Saturday evening. I explained that we already had plans and would not need a dinner reservation. The attendant told me that dinner was NOT optional - - AND would be $45/per person whether we showed up or not!! He said it was explained on the internet when I made the reservation. I do recall the OPTION for dinner being available, but I certainly did not see where it was REQUIRED. And, having gone back to recreate my reservation, the only place I saw there to be a dinner REQUIREMENT, was in the cancellation policy where it states if you have THREE or more accommodations, you will be required to have dinner at least one evening. Additionally, I received a phone message a few days prior to our arrival, stating that they needed to know about our dinner reservation - that was REQUESTED we eat at least one dinner while there. We were only going to be there for ONE dinner, the dinner we planned to meet family in town to have the "german" food experience we unfortunately didn't get. We arrived late friday evening (around 9:30pm) and would be leaving shortly after breakfast Sunday morning - so what that meant was the time we spent trying to take in the sites would be cut short because we were REQUIRED to be back at the B&B by 7pm to eat a $90 meal we didn't want.
To add insult to injury, the meal was Salmon or crabcakes and my boyfriend doesn't eat fish. BUT, never fear - he could UPGRADE his meal for only $7 to a steak - so, for a mere $52 he could have a steak dinner he didn't want. Then he asked for tea, (beverages are extra) and received raspberry tea . . . so he sent it back to get plain tea and received colored water that smelled like coffee. Back it went again and out came a glass of colored water that may as well have been water. Now, to be fair, the staff did make efforts to accommodate us the best they could, they kept trying to get the tea right, but we both had water instead. Also, in addition to him not eating fish, I have a dairy allergy. The soup and the meal both had dairy products in them, but the staff was able to offer alternatives . . . again, poor communication. We weren't asked at check-in when we found out we didn't have a choice but to eat there, what our needs would be.

Overall, the place was nice, the food was ok, but we won't be back. Frankly, I can't eat $45 worth of food and would never purposely eat a meal costing that kind of money. We'll stay at the Hampton Inn next time!!
E. Lott

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ELOTT123
chocolatewoman, Manager at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
At Rose Hill Manor It is very important to us to provide the best possible lodging and dining
experience that we can for our guests. Therefore when a guest tells us
that we have fallen short, we want to immediately address that concern.

Regarding the confusion as to our dining policies, we do strive for clear communication
On our website under policies, it is stated in the second paragraph. Should you make
your reservation online, you must click on the accept button where our policies are
also repeated in the confirmation. (LIkewise, reservations made by phone through our reservation desk will require the dinner reservation.)

As a courtesy, prior to arrival, we make every attempt to contact guests regarding dining to review the time, dietary restrictions, etc. Upon arrival, however, if a guest still has not confirmed their dining, we do remind them that on a Friday/Saturday night stay the dining charge will apply even if they choose not to dine with us.

We simply do not offer Friday/Saturday night accomodations without dining, because that
is the preference of the majority of our guests. Sunday thru Thursday night stays
(excluding holidays) do not require dining.

Regarding the tea, please accept our apology again that we were unable, despite multiple efforts, to make the tea to your satisfaction. As you may remember, we expressed our apologies during dinner and did not charge you for the tea. We did make every attempt to accommodate your dietary needs, and it was our understanding that those accommodations had been met satisfactorily in our conversation at dinner.

We do thank you for your otherwise positive comments, especially those regarding our staff, as they work very hard to provide quality service.

Dianne Smith & Adam Ehmer
Innkeepers
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Four couples went here for a 3 day weekend in November. We loved the rooms and the breakfasts were fabulous. No need for lunch after one of these breakfasts. We liked that the location was outside of Fredericksburg and there was no road noise like we noticed while in town. There is a winery within walking distance and others are no more than a few miles away. Great views! Very relaxing! We would highly recommend this lodging.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

My husband and I went for a long Thanksgiving weekend. We had the Library room, and it was well-equipped with all standard amenities, and the library consisted of a wall full of books, with a really fantastic variety -- everything from the latest Dick Francis, through Hardy Boys mysteries, old encyclopedias and National Geographic, to essays of Plato. In addition, there is a larger library, as well as a well-equipped board game room and bar in the main building.
Food was great, everyone was helpful, everything was perfect. The biggest thing to complain about was a small squeak in our door.
There are few places I'd plan a return trip to, as I like new things a LOT. I'm already planning my next trip here, it's that good.
It's 15 miles from Fredericksburg, and just a little closer to the smaller town of Johnson City -- this is not the place for night life. But for a weekend away or as a base for day trips with a luxurious evening, it's really great.

We ate dinner at the restaurant twice, and that was excellent, too. All in all, this was a good experience

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WPHouston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We have stayed several times at the Rose Hill in Stonewall Texas. We have also enjoyed dinner/ wine paring at their small restaurant "Austin's". I you are looking for a quiet, beautifully kept Bed and Breakfast near Fredericksburg Texas, the Rose Hill is the place. Great views, immaculate rooms, great food and wine selection, Breakfast is included. They also offer free wine tasting coupons to a winery within walking distance.

Room Tip: The Rose Hill offers Rooms in the main building or more private cotages. Both are very nice.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
North Little Rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Rose Hill Manor looks like my idea of a plantation home. The decor is traditional, but the facilities are thoroughly modern. If you like elegance, convenience, large porches, and scenic beauty, you will enjoy Rose Hill Manor. You might even see a herd of deer and llamas - we did.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Austin Suite and thought it was beautiful and bright.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonewall
Inn on Barons Creek
#16 of 80 in Fredericksburg
Cat's Meow Bed & Breakfast
Cat's Meow Bed & Breakfast
#18 of 80 in Fredericksburg

Been to Rose Hill Manor? Share your experiences!