“Fantastic! Staff was warm, friendly, and helpful.”
Review of Rose Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stonewall
Rose Hill Manor
Ranked #2 of 2 Stonewall B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic! Staff was warm, friendly, and helpful.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Accommodations were wonderful. We were in the Rosemary Cottage. It had a sunroom and a Veranda looking out on the pasture of newly mown hay, a lovely garden with dozens of humming birds darting back and forth.

Cottages were very convenient to the Manor. Instillation of boardwalks made transporting luggage and guests easy and safe.

Meals including the 4 course dinner were wonderful, far better than any we had in Fredricksburg.

It's location is central to vineyards, Perdinales Falls, the Johnson Ranch, peach orchards.

• Stayed July 2013
chocolatewoman, Owner at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your kind words re: your stay at Rose Hill Manor! We're glad you appreciated all that nature has to offer here in the middle of the hill country. Sometimes we get tired of the deer and the rabbits and the birds eating our landscaping, etc., but then we have to remind ourselves that they are all part of the fun of being out of the city. Thank you for staying with us at RHM.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Austin TX
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The location is perfect. B&B off 3 mile long quiet country road excellent for Mountain biking. Nice easy walk on boardwalk to winery next door with free tastings for guest. Beautiful view of hill country from front porches. 2 miles from LBJ ranch,which has an excellent 7 mile loop for mountain biking, and close to the LBJ loop, a public (not much used) pool for $3. 15 minutes from Fredericksbirg and another 15 to perhaps one of the most impressive topographical wonders in Texas--Enchanted Rock...'rock' a misnomer--HUGE granite formation, 20-30 minutes to hike to top. Bring water. Incredible vista. No cell coverage until the top. Then call and face time kids. Great stuff.

The food and the chef (Asa) were the best we have EVER had. The large windows in the dining room were fantastic. Bucolic views of live oaks. Gathering of hay in the huge (many acres) front yard. The evening waiter was very attentive and excellent.

The young man (Blake?) at check in was helpful and very knowledgeable...was key to enjoying our stay. Patty the owner was also wonderful and knowledgeable. A large bank of DVDs to enjoy evenings cuddling and watching a movie on high def TV. Microwave and fridge in room. Nice big room.

The negatives did not put us off too bad, but here they are. There was a surly somewhat harried woman behind desk in the AM and mid day. Have read other negative reviews that must be referring to her, as everyone else was really really nice. She is clearly the one who runs things during the day (when Patty not around), and perhaps she has made herself indispensable, but she is inflexible (refused to let us see other rooms after all had checked out so we could decide if we should try to stay in another room, refused to give us an extra hour to check out so we could bike, even though no one else coming in), and I saw her becoming somewhat rude with someone who had called in to ask questions (in her defense, it was a busy time of day, but perhaps she should have let the call go to voice mail?).

The few other negatives (which will not prevent us from coming back): bed was sloped (many years old so depression in it) but soft luxurious sheets made up for it. Each porch was very visible from others, so not the most intimate experience for honeymoon/anniversary. Appreciated no kids on weekends, but also think it would be fun to bring them back during the week when they are allowed. The porch (with a fantastic view) had chairs, but no loungers as we saw on other porches. The phone in the room did not work. There was a smell of sewage 1/4 way from the house/cottages to the road, no one would smell it unless like us they biked it. There was a very faint similar smell of sewage in the bathroon, easily overcome with spray left in the bathroom. Suspect the septic system is starting to back up. The AM breakfast waitress was a bit harried and we had to ask several times for water and tea and honey. Not a big deal. The wifi was spotty often not working in room (a cottage). Our cottage had private deck but others shared deck (not obvious in pictures) which we would not have liked. If important to have private deck, make sure you ask...interestingly, the ones with a private deck are less expensive.

Wish they had a pool. Wish late checkout an option if no one coming in.

We will be back. Glad we stayed here. I hope the above does not sound too negative. I suspect this place is one of the best bed and breakfast in the USA. We have stayed at many and this is the best food we have EVER had, and the amenities were excellent. I would have given it a 4.5 if possible.

Austin TX

SEC
Sent from my iPhone=

Room Tip: see above regarding private porch
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. We'll work on training with our staff so that they are more responsive to our guests' needs. Cressa just didn't want you to look at dirty rooms that people had just checked out of - but I told her if our guests want to look at dirty rooms - go ahead!! Sorry about the bed - we went and checked it and found that one of the supports had broken, so we fixed it. It's a brand new mattress so we were a little perplexed until we found out what was wrong. Septic system down in the field - our illustrious Texas legislature decided that all commercial septic systems had to be aerobic, so twice a day it does it's thing - that's why we put it as far from the buildings as possible! We didn't smell anything in the room, but will keep an eye on it. We thank you for your help in always improving and getting better at what we do.
Spring, TX
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We loved everything about Rose Hill Manor!! The Food was delicious, staff was friendly and informative, rooms were spacious and beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Laurel.

Perhaps though the Inn Keepers should think about a new mattress. Day 1 woke up with a sore back, day 2 ended up on the floor. We notified the gentleman at the front desk, about the bed, and my need for a visit to the chiropractor, and he said, "we'll have to look into that."

Would only return if they advertised new mattresses.

Room Tip: Ask them about the mattresses first unless you like a bed with no support.
1 Thank ericas680
We're so sorry you didn't like that bed. We have those type beds in some of the rooms because many of our guests like them so much they ask me where to get one like it. That bed is actually only a few months old, but it's got a 6 inch memory foam padding on the top, and maybe that's not for you. I guess this is why those Select Comfort beds work for a lot of people - so everyone can dial in their personal preference for firmness. We do have other rooms that have different kinds of beds. I am so sorry you didn't mention this to us before checkout, because we could have changed you to a room with a different type mattress. We appreciate you choosing RHM and hope to do better for you next time.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Rose Hill Manor is AMAZING! This is the ultimate place to take your sweetheart anytime of the year. The rooms have beautiful views and are immaculate. The food is incredible and the service is superb. We stayed in the Rosemary room and enjoyed watching the beautiful sunset out on the deck. Steven and KImberli Templer

1 Thank Steven and Kimb... T
chocolatewoman, Owner at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
We thank you for your kind words and are glad you enjoyed your stay here at Rose Hill Manor. Our staff work very hard to keep everything clean and well-maintained so that our guests can just enjoy the peace and quiet of the country. We appreciate your choosing Rose Hill Manor
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My friend (female) and I arrived this past Sunday morning to look at the property because she and her husband were planning a stay there the following month for a romantic getaway and he suggested we check it out since we were going to be in Fredericksburg which is only about 15 minutes away. We were very excited when we pulled up to the gorgeous front porch and proceeded to enter the check-in area. We were met with a scowling sourpuss who was on the phone and glared at us as we walked in as if we were going to attack her and all the guests (of which there were none to be seen). As she hung up the phone she said some unpleasantry (so bad I can't even remember!) and proceeded to let us know that we could quickly look around downstairs but she could not show us a room and we needed to make it quick. We tried to make nice and start a pleasant conversation but she would have none of it. I asked her how long she had worked at the Inn and she said 16 months and it was clearly evident that she was "new" to the hospitality industry - maybe she worked in communist China prior to this job - I don't know - I only know that she was EXTREMELY RUDE and it was evident we were NOT welcome there. We went outside to leave and were looking around for about 10 seconds when she proceeded to come at us with her windex bottle in hand and asked us if we were parked out front. We said yes and she promptly asked us to get in our car and leave! We said we were just going to look at the pool and she said in a very ugly tone "there is no pool" and we had to leave right now because how would we feel if we were guests, spending all that money and someone was walking around the property." I told her I wouldn't care - I would just think it was two lovely gals, who were guests, were walking around the property during their stay. Well, she would have none of that and dismissed me and my friend and said we needed to leave NOW. We got in our car, gladly, and my friend and her husband will now be spending their large sum of money at a more welcoming B&B!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Christy Q
chocolatewoman, Owner at Rose Hill Manor, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
I'm sorry if one of our employees was rude to you. I will do some more training on that. Our employees are trained to be welcoming and hospitable to our guests at all times. However, we do indeed have a problem with non-guests driving up and wanting to see the property, walk the grounds, etc. Our guests started to complain and we had to change what we do. That is why there is a sign at the gate that says "Sorry, no tours or public restrooms" and a sign at the door that says "Only lodging and restaurant guests beyond this point".

In the old days, we used to let non-guests onto the property, let them go look at unoccupied rooms, etc. However, we had many problems arise, such as:

1. Non-guests going into un-occupied rooms and using the bathroom, resulting in us having to re-clean the bathrooms before check-in.
2. Non-guests going into un-occupied rooms and getting into the bed and doing things.
3. Non-guests walking into rooms occupied by guests, uninvited! I'm sure you don't want to pay for a room and have strangers walking into it!
4. Non-guests accosting our guests and asking our guests if they can go to their room with them because they want to see it. I am talking complete strangers here, yes!
5. Non-guests saying they "just want to look around" and taking bottles of wine off the wine rack and trying to walk out the door with them.
6. Non-guests saying they "just want to look around" and then going behind the bar and pouring themselves a drink.
7. Non-guests walking onto the porch or deck of an unoccupied room and sitting down - while our guests are either sitting on their porch or deck or in their room!
8. Non-guests saying they just want to "look around the grounds" and then publicly urinating on the landscaping - in front of guests.
9. Non-guests throwing their empty beer bottles in our landscaping.
10. Non-guests eating the refreshments we keep out for our guests.
11. Carloads of people driving up who "just want to look around", but really just want to use the restroom.
12. Non-guests who drive up and say that they want to see rooms, and when we tell them they are all occupied - start screaming and swearing at us.

I could go on and on, but I won't. For these and many other reasons, we do not give tours and we do not want non-guests walking around the grounds. Our guests have paid a lot of money for privacy and to escape from the world for a couple of days. We have to protect that privacy and security for them, and we can't do that if we have people on the property who are not guests. When you stay at a large hotel, you don't necessarily expect a lot of peace and quiet because you know there will be lots of other people there. That is not the case here. We spend a lot of money on our website and the pictures on that website are very representative of what is here. If someone really has to see our rooms before they book, they can call and schedule a small tour, but we can usually only do that on Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays - if we have rooms that are not booked. That would be a 5-10 minute tour of the rooms that you might be interested in.

Again, I'm sorry if the staff was rude to you and we'll work on that.
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My friend and I stopped by Rose Hill Manor today on a day trip upon the request of my husband. My husband and I have been researching inns for a weekend getaway before we bring our adopted son home from Haiti. We thought the inn looked lovely on the website and wanted to check it out before booking our weekend. When my friend and I entered the lobby, the clerk was on the phone and scowled at us. She then place the phone call on hold and said, "what do you want?!" I explained the above request, which was to see the inn and a room because my husband and I would be booking a weekend trip soon. The desk clerk VERY rudely said that they DO NOT show rooms and was very clear that we were intruding. She said VERY RUDELY that we could just "look around the lobby, but THAT WAS IT" . After doing so, we tried to engage in polite conversation and then proceeded to leave. When we exited the lobby, my friend thought she saw a garden or pool area, and we were going to peek at it before leaving. The clerk burst out of the lobby door and again, VERY RUDELY said " Where are you parked?!!!!!" I said, "In the parking lot". We said we were just taking a peek at the pool and she VERY RUDELY said, " WE DON'T HAVE A POOL, and then YOU NEED TO LEAVE OUR PROPERTY NOW!!!!!". Frankly, I have traveled around the world and stayed in WAY better places than this one, and I have never been treated like this. Usually, in an upscale hotel or inn, having a look around before you book a room is pretty common practice and a potential guest is shown around the premises with pride. I can even understand if all of the rooms were booked at this time, but the situation could have been handled like this..... We walk in the door and clerk is on phone. Clerk greets us with a smile and says, "Welcome to Rose Hill Manor, I'll be with you shortly." She then proceeds to finish her call, and then greets us again warmly. We make our request and she says ( again, with a smile and some sort of warmth) " Unfortunately, our rooms our all booked right now, or even our policy is too not show guest rooms, but I would love to show you around for a few minutes. She would then give us a two minute tour and graciously escort us toward the parking lot. She would then say that Rose Hill looks forward to our stay in the future and we leave a good feeling about the establishment. Sadly, this scenario did not happen today- and honestly, I'm glad I stopped by before booking a whole weekend here.... how sad to have booked a weekend and been greeted with a scowl!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank melissa r
Please see response on July 22, 2013 review above. Thanks!
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We had dinner and stayed in a room. This was our anniversary. The dinner was amazing. The filet maybe one of the best I have ever had! The extra attention to detail from the kitchen was amazing. The staff were nice but as said in another review, the gardners, and bartenders, etc. They were polite and nice. The serivce was nothing to write home about. The room was nice and comfortable. The winery next door was very nice, welll informed staff and the free wine tasting for guests was a nice treat. We had a problem with check in and check out. We voiced our concern to the owner and got a long email, essentially blaming us. Not very well handled. This was a few days after a big storm had knoced out a bunch of windows and done quite a bit of damage to the property, not that was obvious to us, but the place looked great. Great view of the hill country sitting on the veranda with a drink.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Drslowens
Thank you for your comments regarding Rose Hill Manor! We're sorry you had problems during checkin and checkout and have counseled and trained the applicable staff. We thank you for choosing Rose Hill Manor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stonewall
Inn on Barons Creek
#14 of 80 in Fredericksburg
Cat's Meow Bed & Breakfast
Cat's Meow Bed & Breakfast
#17 of 80 in Fredericksburg

Been to Rose Hill Manor? Share your experiences!