Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sugar Land
Newport News, Virginia
“Thanks”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The staff at this Extended stay is wonderful. The front desk personnel (Monique) was especially, friendly, professional, helpful and knowledgeable regarding everything you could need in their area. Thank You again Ms. Monique!!! The management was also friendly, professional, and helpful as well. The housekeeping staff did a fantastic job for me during my stay ay Extended Stay Sugar Land, TX. Thanks Y'all !!!!!!!!!!! Hope to see you in the future

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Keith - Thank you for posting a glowing review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and our friendly staff, especially Monique. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kisumu, Kenya
Reviewed 9 March 2014

First, I'd like to say that the afternoon and evening staff are friendly and helpful. I can't fault the front desk employees for lack of support from management. How bad is this hotel? Let me count the ways. The first time that I stayed here, my room wreaked of stale cigarette smoke. All the bed linens were completely saturated with cigarette smoke. I began to become ill after two days, and had trouble sleeping due to the smell. Luckily, my stay was short and I left. During my second stay (note: my work puts me up here, so I don't have a choice about where I stay), my room didn't smell of smoke but it was more of the same from my first impression. The breakfast is poorly executed. The offerings are fine, but the staff is poor at putting the coffee out beginning at 6am. Sometimes its 6am, sometimes it is much later. Also, once the coffee runs out, it takes too long for the attendant to replace it. I'm not sure why management doesn't anticipate this and provide more containers to put coffee in. If you're not first in line for the coffee, then you have to wait until subsequent batches are brewed, which is annoying when you are staying there long term b/c you can't count on the coffee being there in the morning as you're trying to leave for work

However, the breakfast is trivial compared to the lack of cleanliness throughout the hotel. There is old, moldy, stinky water in one of the washing machines in the laundry room. The exercise room is a joke with broken (I daresay dangerous) equipment and dirty floors. When I checked in, I found broken gel capsules on the floor around my room and the dishes in the cupboards were dirty. Clearly, the cleaning staff are lax on their efforts. What I found to be most worrisome is the tendency to leave the large garbage containers in the hall way overflowing for days. Since this is an extended stay, there is not daily service in the rooms, which is fine by me. As a result, guests empty their trash into the cans in the hallway. The staff do not empty this containers regularly enough, and often the hallways have the warm aroma of a leaky dumpster. Also, this amount of trash creates roach infestations. I had a large, approx 2 inch roach running through my bathroom one morning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank aventouring
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of our hotel did not meet your expectations. As well, I am sorry that your room smelled so strongly of cigarette smoke. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review your comments and work to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Lastly, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast was not always available at the posted times. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.

Travellers are raving about these Sugar Land hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to give this hotel a chance. I have stayed here for a month and twice I have had security concerns within the hotel. On the first occasion, I accidentally discovered that my door was opening without any key activation. That was resolved later after my complain. The excuse was the door battery was weak.

The second occasion was during the general AC servicing. I left my room locked by 3pm, only to come back before 12am and discover my door opened. I immediately called the reception, nobody answered the phone, I had to walk down, nobody was there. I waited a while and someone finally comes. I made the report, the response was the manager would be available in the morning and a note would be dropped for the manager.

In the morning, I expected a call, nobody called. So I called to speak to the manager, and I was told he wouldn't be around till the next day. I should wait to speak to either the manager or Monique the next day. I really expected much more as regards security in this hotel.

Other observations are dirty toaster and coffee maker. Under the bed was also very dirty. From the staff, expect average service. The positive experience I have had is with Monique ( she's excellent), the manager is pretty great also, Bertha's cleaning is also impressive.

I would still be staying here for a while so would definitely by writing a final review at the end of my stay. Hopefully things would get better.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ngozi A
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am very sorry for the issues you experienced at our hotel. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that we take guest safety very seriously and are currently addressing the issues you outlined. It is our hope to rectify the situation and ensure that future guests are not affected.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with better service in the future.
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel is kinda like most Extended Stay hotels. The room has a full size fridge, burners, a microwave, a coffee pot and all the utensils to make a meal. My room was missing a toaster. The cleanliness was ok. Our carpet was badly stained with something blue. My reason for staying here vs a closer Extended Stay to where I am working was the exercise room. Unfortunatly, that is a let down. The treadmill is dying (need to have bed replaced or lubed) and frequently stops as it heats up when used for more than 10 minutes. The stair master controls are not working rendering it useless. The weights do work but need lubed also.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James7979
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
James - Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had issues with the exercise equipment. In response, I have contacted our vendor to come and provide service so this is not an issue in the future. Also, I apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. This is something we are working to improve so that our rooms are cleaned properly prior to guests arrival in the future.

Again, I really appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better service the next time you are in the area.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The staff was great! The hotel is clean and spacious. House keeping comes every day regardless if you are staying or not. I felt very safe and comfortable here. I had company from some work friends and they were attended to with the same customer care.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I moved across country and stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites (Texas must be known for big bugs - had the same issue in South Carolina). While exploring the area and wanted to change hotels, I found this great hotel (Extended Stay America - Sugar Land TX) to call home. The staff was EXCELLENT from the moment that I arrived (Thank you Nick, Monique, Dilan, Elan, Quentin and the rest). For a older hotel, the rooms were clean and well maintained. The location is perfect! Close to Sugar Land Town Center where activity is going on at all times as well as close to the City of Houston. Great restaurants surround the hotel (one minute away is the closest to 12 minutes away); Walmart and Sam's Club within 3 miles; First Colony Mall for all your shopping needs within 4 or 5 miles. I would recommend this hotel to all who are passing through this area for a day or a year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - Sugar Land, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am very happy to read your feedback regarding our excellent staff and the cleanliness of your room. As well, it’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location.

Thank you for providing us with your comments. We hope to see you again soon.
Lake Jackson, Texas
Reviewed 19 January 2014

First, ask specific driving instructions because the location is difficult to get to. I called the night before our reservation to confirm & make sure they had a King size bed available since my husband & I are not small people. I was told by the person on the phone, that they had a "special priceline only room" & the bed was queen size. Upon arrival the next day at 2:45pm to check in, I waited at the desk for almost 20 minutes for the clerk to find my reservation & room assignment. I offered my copy of the booking receipt, but she didn't want to see it. She also had difficulty programming the room key. We went to the room which ended up being in a very stuffy, stinky part of the hotel & it was marked with a "Handicapped" symbol. Housekeeping hadn't even been there since the last occupants. The room smelled horrible! The room was a mess, bed linens obviously slept in, a wash rag next to the bed on the floor, along with a smelly, musty stench like the hallway. I called the front desk to let them know the condition of the room & to give them time to find another one for us. We waited at the front desk while the "manager" went to go check visibly another room was ready for us. He never came back & the lady left at the desk asked us if we needed help. My husband was pretty furious by this time but held his cool. He explained to her our situation & her response was about the key card issues. Not very nice or professional or even helpful staff. After 45 minutes went by from our 1st attempt to check in, we finally got a room which we were "upgraded" to. The hallway smelled fresh. The room seemed clean but blew musty air out of the ac unit. I went to put my personal items in the small drawers. THEY WERE OCCUPIED by about 8 different things, including a prescription drug for asthma & hair color for men, deodorant etc. We took a picture of them in the drawer & my husband brought the items to the front desk. A customer checking in, innocently asked if every room got those products too? They hadn't vacuumed under the bed wither where we found beer bottle tops. By this time we only had 30 minutes to get ready & drive to our evening commitment. Very stressful. If you took the time to read this review, please head my warning to NEVER STAY HERE! I gave this place a chance knowing the express booking was inexpensive, but never imagined the level of incompetence & filth we experience. I also took the time to email corporate & tell them about this much over looked, mismanaged location.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here until this place has been restaffed, cleaned with a fine tooth comb &am...