“Disappointed. Not very professional”

Ocean Village Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been trying to call and cancel my reservation. They have been having problems with their phones and if you do get thru to a voicemail, they do not return the phone calls. My sister and I have both left messages and made several other attempts to call. By the time I was finally able to get thru to someone, I only had 6 days until my reservation. Their policy states that you must cancel within 7 days of your reservation. Which normally I would be fine with. However, If they would have answered the phone all the other times we called I would have cancelled with more than 7 days to spare. I even asked the staff to please go back and check messages to see that I called before 7 days and they never returned the call. The girl puts me on hold and says she is going to talk to the manager. When she comes back to the phone she says the manager said no refund sorry. I said ok can I speak to the manager and she said well he is not here. I said ok well you said you just spoke to him. I just feel like they know they were having problems with the phone and they should refund the charge because I did try to reach them in time. I am sorry they were having phone issues but please dont make me suffer because of them. Not very professional.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jamie B
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

I want to apologize for the issues you had with contacting us, as well as the less than professional service you received. We are still having issues with our phone and internet service, and we are waiting for new lines to be run to our front desk. In the meantime, the phone system has been intermittent at best.

This however is our problem, and should not have translated into problems with your cancellation. Our front desk employee you spoke with, should have transferred you to management to handle your cancellation, due to the problems you had contacting us.

I have asked our Front-Desk Supervisor to contact you to address these issues. We would like to make things right, and would love for you to give our hotel another try.

There are newer reviews for Ocean Village Hotel

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This was a very nice clean hotel at a reasonable price. This is not a 5 star resort so expect that. This a good place for a few days. Easy beach access. The mattress was a memory foam and it was super comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank jgpurgason
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback. We hope to see you again for your next beach vacation.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ocean Village for 2 nights on a last minute beach weekend trip from Houston. We booked a 2 queen-bed room that had a fridge and microwave. The room was clean and had a great view of the ocean from our balcony. The Pirates Alley cafe has great food and great service! We'd recommend staying in one of their smaller properties (3 different buildings on site) if you're looking for a quieter place as the noise level was a bit loud in their largest building at night time with door slamming and kids having summer fun. We also were able to take our dog for a small pet fee as many of their rooms are pet friendly!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JVento2013
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback and your recommendations. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I went to ocean village just to ask questions and the lady at front desk (Anna) was so wonderful which made me decide to host my little family reunion there this year the set up is wonderful has rooms,suites. Kitchen if you wanna cook r a restaurant n ocean view all over the place clean n better then renting a beach house because everyone can get their own rooms and enjoy the feeling of a beach house rooms sleep 1-8 ,single rooms up to suites that sleep 8 love love love this place

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna F

It is wonderful to hear such positive revives about our staff and our facility. We look forward to your little family reunion coming up.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed two nights...was very pleased. The rooms are nice and clean. The view from our room (#409) was amazing. Their beach area was clean. The restraunt has great food. The bar makes good drinks. The staff are all very helpful. Many sitting areas to enjoy the view. Outside showers to use are all around.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank TishaFergeson
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. the seaweed is gone and the beaches are back to normal. I am glad you are enjoying our hotel and beaches, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was a nice hotel located on the beach. While your balcony will not face the beach directly, you can easily see the gulf. I have stayed a few times in both the main hotel as well as the rooms over the office. All are nice. Conveniently located near the beach. There are also good restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Romance23

Thank you for your positive feedback. We always enjoy hearing from our return guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and i decided to take a last minute weekend trip for our 17th wedding anniversary and were able to get a room at the Ocean Village Hotel. It was a major disappointment for the money. The rooms are definatly on the beach and that is about the extent of the good things. As others have stated the beach is horrible, that is not something that they can control. The room was more like something i would expect for a fishing trip, not a nice get a way. We were suppose to stay two nights but after one, decided to cut our loses. The refund policy wouldnt allow for us to get our money back for the second night but we'd just as soon stay in our own bed then spend another night there. The room had a musty odor, there was hair all in the shower stuck on the shower walls etc. Just not what i wanted for my anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank carol s

I am very sorry to hear that your vacation did not live up to your expectations. Wile we have had an extreme amount of seaweed this year affecting the beaches, this is not typically the norm. We generally have some of the nicest beaches on the coast. I am sorry that this affected your stay with us and we hope that you will give our hotel another try when the seaweed is not such a problem.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson
Baymont Inn & Suites Clute

Been to Ocean Village Hotel? Share your experiences!