“Good property - nice stay”

La Quinta Inn Sweetwater
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sweetwater
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I found the property to be fine for my needs. Based on reviews this year compared to last the property has appeared to have gone through a renovation (and may still be going through it). Where I stayed (Southeast end of the buildings) the rooms had been renovated and the AC in my room provided a refrigerator like environment if I let it.

The good:

1) Breakfast (for a LaQuinta) was huge, basically a full breakfast. Eggs, one or two meats, grits, biscuits plus the traditional LaQuinta offerings. I had read many reviews talking about the breakfast and they were for the most part accurate. The breakfast was usually set up well before the 6 AM scheduled start time. The staff working the breakfast was always checking to see if anything was needed. Work of warning to first time guests - at 6 AM there are a number of people in the breakfast area - you will not have a quiet intimate meal at 610 AM (it ain't going to happen).
2) Convenience - It's close to I-20 with easy access.
3) Quiet - Getting to sleep at 10 PM was not an issue.
4) Service - I found the staff to be very nice with one exception (see the not so good).
5) Value - Good value for the money.

Not so good.

1) Spotty Housekeeping. My room was clean and well taken care of except for 1 day when it wasn't (and a left a nice tip in the room each day). I basically was left with no soap and shampoo (good thing I have back ups).
2) Parking - I wish there was more parking on the east side of the property.
3) Wifi - I had good wifi access, others I traveled with, not so much. I saw the spotty service and I can understand other people's comments about the service.

The comments about the "pull-down on the faucet to start the shower" are correct and the front desk did tell me about it. Since I had encountered this "feature" before at other hotels, I was prepared. I would also wonder if there are "dog rooms" versus "non-dog rooms"......

All in all, this is a good property and I would return to it again.

Room Tip: Top floor, southeast end of the property.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

This place was awful. Initially upon check in the lobby was nice and modern and staff was friendly. The good stops there. I was gone a room in a separate building on the backside of the property. When we walked in the hallway smelled - and the room stunk! It was only for an overnight and I had just lugged my two dogs and all our gear in so figured I could deal with it. The room was also very humid and despite the wall A/C (yes it is a wall unit) on 70 degrees I still sweated all night. The toilet was not secured into the ground and I almost fell off the first time I used it. The rest of the time it would shake and slam into the wall when used. There were not covers on the electrical outlets. Then I tried to get online to do some work and couldn't get a signal. It kept saying the signal was "poor" and would time out before any pages opened. If that wasn't enough, the fire alarm went off in our hallway between 1 and 2 am. Then to add icing on the cake, they construction directly outside my window at 7:30 am. Literally, two feet from my window (pictures are provided). I've never been so disappointed In a hotel. Be ashamed La Quinta, be ashamed.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank AmyLoverOfSun
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My family stayed here on a road trip from TX to CO. The lobby and the breakfast area are clean and bright. The rooms have been redone but do need a bit of work. The orders in the halls are not good. The room needed a deep clean. Overall ok but found corners and some things not 100% clean. Something sticky on our desk. Rooms have a mini refrigerator. Staff was friendly and made me laugh showing us how to use the shower at check in. Breakfast is better than most hotels. We stayed here mainly because we were traveling with our pet. A few hours after we checked out front desk called to say we left a check book in one of the rooms. They were nice enough to say they would hold it for us until we headed back that way on our return trip. That night we found our check book but thought maybe it was part of our etc. On our way back we stopped by. It wasn't ours. It must have been the people that stayed in the room before us. Nice either way to be so concerned. If back in the area would probably stay. I hope they clean the rooms a bit deeper. Good for one night with a pet. Breakfast really good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Everything about hotel is fine. If traveling with dogs, there is a good amount of grass for dog walking. I would stay here again if traveling on I-20 and needing and needing accommodation overnight. I always look for LaQuinta when traveling since they take dogs and I often travel with my dogs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Another Former Holiday. Working a few months in Texas So tried a few Different area hotels. I liked this one the best. The beds were very comfy and I slept very well. Good breakfast and a handy little store area for when you need a little snake but did not want to go out. Staff was helpful with directions, faxing and restaurant suggestions. If in Sweetwater I will stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is AMAZING! I found them via Trip Advisor and called to book a room about 1 hr out of town. We've heard that La Quinta had a great pet policy so was the main reason we choose this hotel chain. My husband checked us in and didn't verify any rates so when we got to our room and saw how nice the rooms were and after coming through the lobby ... I began to worry that we had seen a wrong quote on Trip Advisor (which happens quite often) and wondered what we were going to end up paying for such a NICE room. Turns out the $114 was exactly what we paid.... it was actually cheaper b/c they gave us a military discount. The Bathroom was gorgeous and spacious. Towels were fresh, white and soft. Breakfast.... OMG breakfast was outstanding!!! The staff working breakfast was very attentive and chatty. :) I would 100%, two thumbs up, recommend this place to anyone passing through. If I had to give this hotel any critiques it would be that it's very spread out... lots of buildings that are not connected so when you go from your room to the lobby/breakfast on a morning that it's raining.. you have to enter and exit 3-4 buildings, each time using a room key to gain entrance, to get where you are going...at one point going through the "smoking" building that reeks of you guessed it smoke. But it was better than getting soaked :) and I did notice that they had a nice and clean courtyard with sidewalk that went around outside. Also noticed that nearly every building had it's own laundry room!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ladydodger15
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed one night while passing through Texas. I had never stayed at a La Quinta before, we did not do a lot of research, but nothing in Sweetwater caught our attention as a good deal, so we decided to try the La Quinta. The person at the desk at 9:00 pm was very friendly and got us checked in with no problem. Other staff members were very friendly and helpful. The lobby and the breakfast area were very nice, the room less so. Nothing in particular was wrong with the room, just seemed old and tired. The bathroom only had soap and shampoo, none of the extras that come with other chains at a similar price point. The room did have a microwave fridge, and complimentary internet. The rooms seemed more like a budget hotel while the lobby and breakfast area were much nicer. We stayed at much nicer hotels at significantly less money both the night before in Arkansas and the night after in Arizona. For the price, we were disappointed in the room. The breakfast on the other hand was excellent. A nice variety of items to chose from with good quality and well stocked. The breakfast area was clean and pleasant. Other than the Embassy Suites, this may have been the best complimentary breakfast I have had.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family