“Terrible doesn't do it justice...”

Candlewood Suites Temple
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Temple
Jacksonville, Florida
“Terrible doesn't do it justice...”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This was without a doubt the worst hotel experience of my life. The elevator reeked of cigarette smoke, the walls were paper thin and I could hear the televisions from across the hall. Everytime the room above us moved, we could hear it. Full Kitchen? No. They gave us one bowl, two plates, two forks, and two knives. I've never stayed in a hotel that doesn't take our trash and their "once a week room service" was nothing more than them making the bed. We had to stay here for 15 DAYS...There was a dead roach belly up in our closet from the first day, until this morning when we checked out. I asked for towels and was told I need to bring my dirty ones down in order to get new ones, and could not be given an extra bowl for my husband, without turning in the other one. To top it off, NO BREAKFAST!? Even the Days Inn provides breakfast. Not to mention, they looked at me like I was asking them to do rocket science when I needed my bill split between two company credit cards.Ten of us will be returning to Temple next week for two more weeks and we WILL NOT be staying here again...EVER.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Temple, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear cewebb4211,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. We highly value your views and feedback, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. It is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I deeply apologize that your experience with the unusual smell, condition of the room, kitchen amenities and housekeeping services and hotel staff services received has caused inconveniences. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have never stayed in a hotel that did not empty the trash at least every third day. I have stayed at extended stay hotels that did not change the sheets or towels every day, but the trash was always emptied. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around this fact. The trash bags used in the trash cans are much smaller than the trash can itself, so not only is the trash not removed, the trash cans cannot hold very much because of the size of the trash bags.
Towels can be replaced at the front desk as well as sheets, but if you request clean sheets, you are responsible for making the bed. Perhaps if the rooms were say $30 or $40 a night this would be acceptable, but these rooms are $85 a night with the medical discount. That is quite a bit of money for absolutely no room service. The only room service that is provided is weekly. The hotel does not have a pool and does not have breakfast and the walls are so thin conversations from other rooms are easily heard.
It must be very easy for Candlewood Suits to make money, their staff is almost nonexistent. The employees were very kind and polite. It is not their fault that the company is too cheap to provide any kind of service for those who stay at their hotel.
Scott and White Medical Facility is located in Temple, Texas. Many hotels in Temple give discounts for those staying in Temple for medical appointments. A traveler to Temple can find a hotel room for under $100 a night and expect to have their trash emptied and perhaps even a little orange juice in the morning.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the Hilton Garden Inn with is just up the road from this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Grapeland, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Seeking medical treatment in Temple, Texas for eye surgery, I discovered Candlewood Suites within a mile radius of the medical centers and plenty of access to food and shopping.
A priority club member for years, I have plenty of hotel experience.
The desk staff was excellent, the room was very nice, expansive, and included excellent business center access for my job.
Only one sad note...housekeeping was slow and had a disturbing habit of propping my door ajar in my absence, exposing my room to uninvited entry.
Desk personnel was quick to respond to my snarling about that and all was well thereafter.

Room Tip: No noise issues noted on ground level rooms to rear facing rooms. View of lush timber and little civ...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Decent facility overall - nothing special - nothing really negative either - thus the "average" title. I would probably stay again...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The hotel looked very clean and the staff was very friendly.The only draw back was the roach I saw in the kitchen cabnet in my room

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank burninguptheroads
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Sorry but our studio suite was not so clean...
We think they change the bed to a queen one and therefore the lights did not fit and you can reach the bed only from one side.

Room Tip: Avoid suite 107
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The location was right across the street from the Hospital. The suite was clean and comfortable. Everyone was helpful and polite. The manager went the extra mile to ensure we felt welcome. We will stay here again when visiting Temple.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Carol M, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Temple, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Welcome to the Candlewood Suites family. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to seeing you again.