“Best of the outdoors without the camping”
Review of Ten Bits Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Terlingua
Ten Bits Ranch
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Jennifer and Steve run a unique operation that our family enjoyed between Christmas and New Year's Day. What is most impressive to me is that they have managed to extract the best parts of camping (the stars, the campfire, the wilderness) while at the same time providing the civilized luxuries that my wife demands and I appreciate (warm comfortable bed, hot shower, modern dining facility). Icing on the cake is Steve's telescope, his help with our telescope that we brought along, and his knowledge of local dinosaur bones and Indian ruins. We would repeat our experience at Ten Bits any time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TexasTravel59

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This is my first Tripadvisor review but I had such an unpleasant experience after booking at Ten Bits Ranch that I wanted to record it here.

I booked (about two mths in advance) for 2 nights during the Thanksgiving week for my family - my husband and I and our three small children (aged 6, 4 and 2). I was told we had to take two rooms, meaning the total per night was $450 and on booking, I had to pay for the first night. I thought this was expensive at the time, but stupidly went ahead and booked without researching the alternatives.

About one month before our stay, our financial circumstances had changed, meaning that $900 for a two night stay at this hotel now seemed a ridiculous amount of money. I emailed the owner, Jennifer, and asked if we could a) all share one room, b) only stay one night, or c) she could try and re-sell the rooms. Unfortunately I had just missed the 30 cancellation policy.

She would not let us share one room or only stay one night but agreed (rather grudgingly, it seemed) to try and re-sell the rooms.

We waited until the last few days before the booking hoping that someone would book the rooms, and told her that we would come if not (as we did not want to waste the $450 already paid). We also researched other hotels in the area and realised how much better value they were for us, especially given that we could all share one room.

We continued with our trip down to Big Bend (staying in the wonderful Indian Lodge on the way) but received extremely unfriendly emails from Jennifer, when I tried to enquire about whether the rooms had been taken, and if not, about us coming as planned. I was worried about staying in a place where the owner was being so hostile to me.

However, staggeringly, I received an email the day before our original arrival date saying simply 'your reservation is considered cancelled', on the basis that when we asked her to try and re-sell the rooms, we then had no right to them if they were not resold.

My husband and I have made numerous trips to all corners of the world but have never experienced such an unreasonable attitude.

Luckily we were able to book at last minute into the Lajitas Resort near Terlingua, which was absolutely wonderful and at $199 for a superior room, was far better value than $450 at Ten Bits. And the service there was friendly and accommodating - highly welcome after such an unpleasant experience dealing with Ten Bits.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank Emily W
Tenbitsranch, Owner at Ten Bits Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

First off, we have a strict cancellation policy because we are a small inn (4 rooms total), not a corporate property. When we take a booking we are committed to honoring it. In fact, just after taking this reviewer’s high-season reservation, another larger party wanted to book our entire facility, however we turned them down (as well as a lot more money) because we already had this guest's reservation on the books (and we will not unfairly cancel a reservation simply to make more money from a bigger group). We simply ask our guests to make a similar commitment to us.

The reviewer was informed of the cancellation policy when making the reservation and was asked for the final payment 30 days before their stay. The reviewer neglected to get back with us until within the 30 day time frame, when they chose to cancel their reservations. Again, they were informed of the cancellation policy. At this point we made the offer of a full refund IF we could rebook the rooms. In an email dated October 28th, 2011 this guest responded to our offer as follows...

"That sounds completely reasonable! Many thanks indeed, and have a great weekend".

Well...we were unable to re-book the rooms. The larger party had made reservations elsewhere so...we informed the guest that the cancellation policy would apply (at which point they became unhappy). So... why is our policy not reasonable now if it was completely reasonable just a couple weeks before?

Regarding our booking policy, the reviewer was never told they had to take two rooms. The reviewer was given the choice of paying for two rooms or paying an additional fee for putting 5 people in one room. They elected to take the two rooms. When we asked for the final payment, they decided to cancel not wanting to pay any additional amount.

Within 24 hours of their now cancelled reservation date, we received an email from them stating they were coming to stay in one room (and not pay any additional amount for the two nights they booked and then cancelled). At this point we had not bought food and supplies for 5 people we did not expect to show up so we informed them that we considered the reservation to be cancelled. Not knowing if they were coming or not, we went to Alpine (60 miles away) to buy additional food and supplies just in case. Well, they never showed up. Very confusing.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

The Ten Bits Ranch was a perfect place to stay while on vacation in a place like the Big Bend. The service provided by Jennifer was excellent. She was available when needed and in the back ground when not. The knowledge and experience that Jennifer and Steve can offer about the area is worth the price. Thanks for a great time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I'll agree with the vast majority of the other reviewers that TBR is a terrific place to stay - unforgettably beautiful setting, caring owners, very comfortable atmosphere. The 2.5 mi drive from the "highway" sets the mood, and the last turn into the "ranch" made my wife and me both smile with ear-to-ear grins. The buildings themselves were both whimsical and completely appropriate for the setting - our Schoolhouse was spotless, smelled fresh and clean, had a big, comfortable bed, and windows that let us see sunrises AND sunsets. Our early-September timing meant we had some heat to deal with, and the combination of a ceiling fan and 2 small desk fans did the trick (although my wife thinks she'd have preferred a hammock on the back porch to capture the night breezes). Jennifer did a great job coordinating our Rio Grande canoe trip, and our afternoon SUV tour ("Double Duece") which gave us access to private property not available to most tourists. We appreciated the variety at breakfast - fresh fruit, strong coffee, cereals, bread, warm quiche, yogurt. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting next time we're near Big Bend!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NRoePDX
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We spent two nights here. Ten bits is off the beaten track and completely peaceful. The cabins are really well made and quirky. Rooms were comfortable and well equipped. The owner was really friendly and Sophie the dog was a real character. Only one down side was the food was out of date but as we were there off season I understand how this can happen.

Room Tip: We stayed in the school house