“Anniversary Dinner”

Kirby's Prime Steakhouse - The Woodlands
Reserve with OpenTable
Kirby's Prime Steakhouse - The Woodlands is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 216 Restaurants in The Woodlands
Price range: US$50 - US$65
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Interstate 45
Description: Continuing the legacy of Dallas' Original Steakhouse, Est. 1954, Kirby's Prime Steakhouse in The Woodlands, Est. 2004, is an award winning restaurant featuring Mid-Western, grain fed, aged prime beef. Kirby's also offers fresh seafood, daily features, and a spectacular collection of New and Old World wine housed in an impressive cellar of over 4,000 bottles. Kirby's boasts a trendy jazz bar and lounge featuring live music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. To compliment their excellent wine selection is classically trained Corporate Executive Chef Daniel Nemec. Chef Nemec seeks to introduce the culinary versatility of Kirby's cuisine to any and all diners. Guests can choose to dine lakeside or enjoy one of Kirby's imported cigars in the lounge while partaking in a glass of wine selected by certified Sommelier, Scott Griffin. Be sure to join us from 11am to 3pm for Friday lunches. Kirby’s offers the perfect atmosphere, and menu, for a business lunch or casual dining.
Houston, Texas, USA
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent steaks! We enjoyed celebrating our 40th anniversary at this restaurant. Service was superb. The only problem I had was that I like my steak well done and it had to be sent back a second time. This of course puts a damper on the meal because then my husband was finished before my steak came back. Management did apologize.

Visited March 2014

“Probably the best steak in town”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Had a good times with good friends in this restaurant. Very attentive and superbly friendly service. I ate seafood due to my diet restriction but the rest of my friends had steak and they really enjoyed it. As they said, it's probably the best steak, at least in the woodlands

The Woodlands, Texas
“Great Specials”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Good food, spirits, and menu choices. Seating is made for small frame bodies in booth, get table. Choice of chef specials were great as was service. I would recommend to all.

• Visited March 2014
Houston, Texas
“Not great, and for the price it's a real bummer”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I want to like Kirby's- I really do. It's a nice looking establishment, it has a neat back story, and although it's a chain, it's a very small chain. And yet, I have found my sky-high expectations dashed a couple of times now. Maybe I should expect less, but in this price range I think I have the right to shoot for the moon...

I want to start with the positives: first, Kirby's has one of the best views in The Woodlands, if you're lucky enough to be seated by the window overlooking the pond. Unlike most other restaurants in town, Kirby's is not jammed into a strip mall and is instead an actual stand-alone structure with property. It's a nice change! Second, our server did a very nice job. He was attententive and available but not overbearing. I could tell he was genuinely concerned that we have a good time. He was also funny!

Now for the (unfortunately) more lengthy list of negatives. Did you know that smoking is still allowed indoors in some restaurants? I didn't. I guess they have a special exemption for "lounges" or something. Anyways, it's not cigarrettes that they allow- those I can handle in limited quantities. It's their big, reeking cousins we're talking about: cigars. The whole restaurant smells. That's a smell you can't get out of your nose or your clothes, and I think it actually curbs my appetite (and why wouldn't it? It smells like someone died while eating an ashtray...). So right away you have to ding the restaurant on atmosphere. Can't they send the stink-sticks outside?

And the food? Meh. My steak was good, but I want a $60 cut of meat to be more than good. The sides were below average- the mac n' cheese was not very cheesy (at this place, at these prices, I was expecting "decadent"). Grilled zuccini? It was just a salty hot squash. Come on, these sides are almost $10 each. Can't they do something special with them?

Finally, I don't like to ding places for what are probably one-off experiences. But this one bugs me: my date and I arrived at 4:55pm (we were super early so as to make it to a movie later!). I'm assuming that the restaurant has a strict policy of "no one may sit down until after 5pm and must be ignored until then" because that's what happened. The hostess told us "ummm.... you know we don't open until 5, right?". I check my watch- 4:55. Are you kidding me? So she then ignores us and goes back to a conversation with a co-worker. There aren't benches in the entryway for some reason, so my date and I had to just stand there in front of the podium being ignored until 5:05. Could we not have sat at a nearby table? Taken a seat at the bar (cigar reek and all...)? No one acknowledged us, offered us a menu, looked in our direction or anything until after 5pm. I thought it was ridiculous and insulting. But that's just me.

So yeah- it's average. If it were cheaper, I'd rate it higher, because hey- at least you get a good steak. But it's not, and I can't. I've had better for cheaper, and I can't be enthusiastic about that.

Cheers and Safe Travels,
Patty

• Visited February 2014
Spring, Texas
“Still the best steaks in The Woodlands”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Not sure why its not rated higher in Trip Advisor; I have had nothing but excellent food and service at this Kirby's. Crab cake appetizer is fresh and delicious. Steaks are the best - good flavor to the beef and cooked to perfection. Nice wine selection. Yes, there is smoking in the bar which is where we ate on this visit. I don't smoke, but it seems to be well ventilated in there with high ceilings, so I don't find it unacceptable. Service was outstanding!!!

• Visited February 2014