“Great value for money”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
Lagos, Nigeria
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I loved my one night stay in Candlewood Suites, The Woodlands Tx. I definitely got great value for my money. The bedroom was beautiful with good ambience. The staff were top notch in making my stay as comfortable as possible. I got an early check-in (8am) which I am truly grateful for after a long transatlantic flight.

The hotel is about 7 minutes drive from The Woodlands Mall.

I didn't use the gym but checked it out and it has all the necessary equipment. I will definitely use the hotel again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Poor Value/Service: I stayed this past week/weekend at the Candlewood Suites, The Woodlands. When I booked my reservation I was confirmed with my companies corporate rate. When I arrived for check-in I was informed by the lady at the front desk that since there was a special event going on that weekend (Ironman), company rates were not honored. When I questioned the employee's comment, the Manager (Richard S. ?) swooped into the conversation and stated that special events are typically not honored. I have never had this issue in the past at other Intercontinental properties.

The driver of the poor value comes from what I was charged per night ($209.00) and what I received, (small room, broken dishwasher, thin walls, and loud air conditioning window unit). Honestly I received better value while staying at a hotel in a 3rd world country. I have stayed at Holiday Inn with nicer standard rooms than the "suite" I was assigned. The room was worth $70-80 at most.

The driver for the poor service is how the manager handled the situation. Instead of making an exception for one customer who travels frequently to the area and who's employer has many employees staying in the area (consultants), he insisted on the higher rate which was not known when I first booked.

So why did I stay at the Candlewood and not go to the Hilton property down the street? I called the IC Ambassador Support line and was informed that the rate would be adjusted during check-out. Ok, no problem. During check-out I informed the lady at the front desk of the company rate not being applied. She checked my profile and notified me that the manager left a note saying not to change the rate.

If that is how Candlewood does business, lesson learned. I will ask the 45 other consultants working down there to only go to the Hilton properties. After all, when I called Hilton down the street, they said they would honor my company's rate.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan B
Melissa_W55667, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Houston, The Woodlands, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding concerning your rate. As most hotels, we have the special event exclusion in our corporate rate contracts. Your stay fell into the Ironman Triathalon race which is the largest event in the area and all hotels were sold out. We actually help open rooms for our wonderful priority club guest such as yourself but we were not able to honor corporate rates at this time. At any other time this would not be an issue. Again I apologize and hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn your business. We truely love our guests.

Melissa Williams
Director of Sales
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I stayed here for one night in Decemeber 2011. The rate was fantastic for a Friday night (I think it was in the $70-80 range) and for an in-suite room. The hotel is situated back about 1/4 mile from I-45 - so the noise level is slightly less than those right on the highway.

Overall - great place to stay! We'll be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed with my partner at the Candlewood Suits the woodlands for over a month. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived untill the day we left. The staff were neither intrusive or not attentive but just relaxed, friendly and happy to help at all times. We had to leave at short notice and I was very sad to leave here. Keep up the excellent work.

Room Tip: A room on the ground floor is best as the lift is a little slow
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stay at Candlewood Suites whenever I can. This property is great. Friendly staff, easy to find, and several restaurants nearby. I would recommend this location to anyone staying in The Woodlands area of Houston.

• Stayed December 2011
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Great overall value, but no breakfast available. I have stayed a few nights every week for the last few months.

• Stayed December 2011
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 December 2011

This hotel was new, clean, very nicely decorated, and conveniently located right off the interstate. Hotel staff was helpful and friendly. We were in Houston for a sporting event for our daughter and it was delayed due to rain. We requested a late check-out and appreciated being allowed to stay a little later than noon. The warm hospitality was impressive. The rooms were quiet as walls are not paper-thin as in some hotel chains. The only negative was that there was no hotel sign posted at the road. The road was marked with a street sign, but there was not hotel sign visible and we had to make the loop around the interstate to circle back. Can't blame the hotel though. It was worth the extra driving once we got there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family