“Waterway Delight”

Woodlands Waterway Trolley
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Travelling from Canada I was very impressed with the trolley (free) and its great service to the people working, living & visiting The Woodlands. How can you complain about a free service that takes you on a loop to all the shopping and restaurants in the center of The Woodlands? You can hop on and off at your leisure in one of the most condensed shopping and restaurant districts in North America...... what more can you ask? Boarding the Waterway Cruiser boat at dusk and exploring the canal in all its lit splendid glory at night was very relaxing. Our boat captain was very knowledgeable and personable explaining many facts about the area along our journey of the entire loop. $5 per adult for the entire day is a bargain too ($2/child). Can't wait to go back & utilize this great service!

3  Thank Roo55

Reviewed 30 December 2013

As a long-time Woodlands resident, I was excited to take my family, visiting from out of state, on an evening Waterway boat tour on December 29, 2013. Though I have not taken the boat ride in about 4 to 5 years, I was shockingly disappointed (and embarrassed). In years past, the boat tour was a real tour--a welcoming boat 'captain' would talk almost the entire time about The Woodlands in general, the heritage of George Mitchell, and fun tidbits of Woodlands trivia. First going in one direction points of interest were explained on one side of the waterway, then after turning around, again the tour captain pointed out, with embellishments, points of interest on the other side. He/she was pleasant and upbeat telling us all about the wonders of The Woodlands.
My disappointment and embarrassment began almost immediately. When the tour boat pulled around to the main Woodlands Mall stop, the boat operator opened the doo,r, lowered the walkway, and shouted to the fairly large crowd, "Everyone get on board and when it is full I am closing the door and no one else will get on. This is the last boat of the evening, so good luck." You can imagine the pushing and shoving that ensued as people made sure they got on the boat.
The next step was for the boat operator to collect the fares. Not only was this process slow, laborious, and confusing, but also unprofessional. He shouted out to each group to find out how many were to pay, then a representative from the group had to carefully walk up to the front stepping over passenger's feet and slipping past children in the aisle way. Geez, could not tickets be purchased before the boat arrived to the dock? (That was how it used to be handled.) This awkward process took at least 10 minutes.
When this was finally done, the boat operator shouted, "This boat is to leave at 7:00, it is now 6:40, and I am only going to wait 5 minutes and then leave." As he was speaking, people were descending the steps to the dock to wait for the 7:00 boat (as per the website). They would be out of luck, I guess. My feeling about this is that since this is the busy Christmas holiday time period with many making The Woodlands their Christmas destination, more boats should have been available to handle all who wanted to ride.
So the tour began. The silence was deafening. The boat operator said absolutely NOTHING for the first half of the ride, we just slowly moved along to the turning pool. I could hear people mumble things like "Man, this is boring!" Once he turned the boat turned around, he shouted "I never say anything until we turn around because I only have things to say for one way-not both ways." Lovely.
And guess what? He did not use the speaker system! Really? We were sitting about 3/4 of the way from the front and we could hardly hear him. Furthermore, by the time he did start to talk, the general noise level of the passengers was quite high because there was nothing else to do but to talk to each other. We could only catch, with straining, about 1/2 of what he said. Even so, he did not even talk the whole way back--only from the turning pool to the Marriott, then he was silent again.
What is wrong with you, Woodlands? Here is a prime opportunity to showcase The Woodlands to a willing captive audience. This event is NOT up to par with what The Woodlands is trying to represent. Sloppy boat operator with a poor attitude, wasting time collecting money on board, limited tour talk/ NO speaker system.
This is an absolute waste of money. This is not how it was in the past. I cannot recommend this AT ALL.

9  Thank Beverly S
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Even though the cost is not much, the boat ride was short and everything we saw could have been better seen by walking the waterway.

1  Thank jonboy41
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My review of The Woodlands Waterway Trolley will be somewhat biased because I lived in The Woodlands for 38 years and love everything about the city. I am now living in Geneva, Switzerland and think of the wonderful waterway in The Woodlands often. I have ridden the trolley several times just for the fun of it. As a local, many friends would take the trolley up and down the waterway to visit different restaurant and bars. Great fun. The group of us would always encounter tourists and they were happy to see that locals were riding the trolley too. Many great evenings on the waterway.

3  Thank DizzyTravel
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The kids loved the boat ride and seeing the sights of the Woodlands. We have been out there many times and always talked about doing it and never had. The tickets are inexpensive and good for the entire day. My reservation with doing it was the heat, I did not realize they were enclosed and air conditioned...game changer! The ride is fairly short, but kids love it, fun way to spend a family afternoon.

2  Thank TravelinSchuls