“Great food, good value”

Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Seating, Waitstaff
“Great food, good value”
Reviewed 15 March 2012 via mobile

Don't go to Kita for great service, because you won't get it. But do go for some of the best Japanese cuisine in the Houston area. Great sushi, veggie rice, and extravagant fish dishes!

Guaymas,Sonora
“Lunch !!”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The food was good but the service slow even though there were not much people in the restaurant.

Visited February 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Good food, good ambiance, neat interiors”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We sat on a booth, the four of us. Service was cordial, well informed and genuine. Not one of those experiences where the server becomes your best buddy right before presenting the check. I have always wondered why this restaurant is not as busy as the rest of its neighbors for lunch, weeknights and even weekend nights.
The interior design is modern Zen like with lighting dispersed well. I could not hear the music.
The Mussels were excellent, with a slight heat and coconut after-taste. We ordered the hot veersion of Edamame which was really dumb as our palate was numb for a while.
The sushi/sashimi plates were well presented. Most of the fish was of a very good quality, especially the salmon. The dissapoinment had two faces; one the octopus was water logged and the calamary sashimi had the fake "sea-legs" that appears like a crab leg, as a garnish.
I must mention to the readers that this is my first time and I certainly would go back for more of the same minus the hot Edamame.
I hope this restaurant does better with volume as the highly perishable fresh seafood requires a certain turn over to keep the ingredients fresh.
I hope the bujsiness

• Visited January 2012
Houston, Texas
“Terrible serivce to the point I left before being served...”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I went to Kita for the first time that night with high expectations. Not only were my expectations not exceeded, they were not met. My concerns revolve around a complete lack of customer service.

On December 27, 2011, my wife and I were both excited about trying Kita for the first time. We arrived at the restaurant at 7:50 PM. Upon entering we stood at the hostess station, which was unattended, for several minutes before a hostess approached us. I do not know the name of the hostess but she was a younger Asian girl. We told the hostess that there would be two of us and she immediately took us to a table, which was a booth on the wall of the main dining room. It was 7:57 PM when we were seated as I looked at my phone.

My wife and I reviewed the menus and continued to sit at the table without any of the wait staff acknowledging our presence. At 8:12 PM and after being at our table for 15 minutes without anyone taking our drink order or even saying that they would be with us, I caught the attention of the same hostess that sat us as she walked by. I explained to her that no one had come to our table as of yet, and she told me that she would go and find us a waiter/waitress. I saw the hostess walk over to another waiter in the dining room and the two engaged in conversation and looked and pointed our direction.

Even after telling the hostess, another 10 minutes passed and still no one had come to our table. At this point we had been seated for nearly 25 minutes and not one person had come to our table.

I then went to the front of the restaurant to speak with a manager regarding the service, when I was approached by the hostess. I explained to her that no one had yet come to our table. The hostess apologized and told me that they were short staffed. I then asked her to speak with a manager. She told me that the manager was in the back and that she would go and get him.

Several minutes later, a white male who appeared to be in his late 20’s and wearing a brown shirt came to me. I explained to the manager the fact that we had been sitting at the table for nearly 25 minutes with no one acknowledging our presence. The manager apologized and again told me that the restaurant was short staffed and there was a lot of training taking place. I explained to the manager that if they did not have the wait staff to handle the tables, then they should not be seating customers at the tables until there was adequate staff. The manager did not encourage me to stay nor explain that he would make sure the problems were resolved. I told the manager that based on the lack of service to that point that I was concerned that it would take another hour and a half to eat. The manager then told me that it was likely that it would take quite a while particularly with any sushi orders because the sushi bar was “backed up” because of training that was taking place there. I told the manager that I did not want to wait that long, returned to the table, got my wife, and left the restaurant.

From the moment I entered the restaurant to the moment I walked out after speaking with the manager, I was completely disappointed. I feel that the manager did not even attempt to resolve the matter in any way, but so easily let me walk away. While I can understand staffing issues, that should no way impact my dining experience as a customer as the pricing and my expectation remain the same.

I submitted this information as well as other to the manager/owner the following day. I received an email from the bar manager who apologized and offered some explanations, but not excuses for the complete lack of service. I was told that she was going to discuss the issue with the manager and see how she wanted to resolve the issue. To this date, two weeks later, I have heard no more.

• Visited December 2011