“Extremely loud and incredibly icky”

Residence Inn Houston The Woodlands/Market Street
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
Austin, Texas
“Extremely loud and incredibly icky”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We usually stay at the Marriott Waterway but couldn't get a reservation this particular night. Hotel rooms were scarce because of a concert at the Pavillion. We decided to give the Marriott Residence Inn on Six Pines a try, based in part on the reviews on this site, and boy did we regret it. First, the pros: a good location close to the mall, restaurants and all the other fun stuff in The Woodlands. The room was clean, the grounds were neatly manicured and the desk staff was polite. Now for the cons: We asked only for a quiet room. We were put in Room 113, which seemed okay at first, early in the stay when we were only in the living room part of the one-bedroom suite. Later that evening, when we were trying to sleep, we realized the bedroom was near a huge battery of outdoor AC units, which gave off a loud constant roar (when I looked outside the next morning, I realized they were built in a courtyard surrounded by 3 stories of rooms--chances are those loud AC units disturbed a lot of people). It got worse, however. Near midnight, a loud and very strange racket started up in the wall behind the headboard of our bed. I have no idea what it was--I've never heard anything remotely like it in a hotel room--but it was comparable to a large diesel engine, an airplane motor or a chain saw--LOUD! This went on for some 15-20 minutes. To make matters worse, the supposedly queen-sized bed was too small, the mattress was hard and uncomfortable and the pillows were flat and miserable. The tub drain was clogged, resulting in several inches of dirty water pooling during a short shower. It didn't surprise us at all the next morning, as we wearily resumed our road trip, to overhear several people complaining to the desk staff about various matters. All in all, not a pleasant or restful stay and we won't ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 113 at all costs. Even better, just stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TexasLawCat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stayed here while in town during a concert at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in June. It IS within walking distance, however I did not walk it so I have no opinion there.
The place is clean, the beds are comfy, the rooms are roomy and the staff is friendly. PLUS, it is far more affordable than the ridiculous (IMHO) prices of other hotels in the area. I would hands down stay here again, and I would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 30 May 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! The bed was firm enough to give my husband and me a wonderful night's rest, the bedding was light instead of having a large, heavy duvet that makes you sweat at night, and the amenities go beyond what is expected. I didn't stay long enough to take advantage of all they have to offer, but I did notice that if you make a grocery list, they will get your items for you. The staff treated us like family the moment we arrived, and I was extremely impressed when they gave my 18-month-old son a book that was age appropriate for him. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in The Woodlands' area, and hope that my family will have the fortune of staying there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My Husband and I recently stayed here during the Memorial Day Weekend. The service was great; the room was clean and comfy. I really enjoyed the personal touch. The nice ladies at the front desk brought us a few snacks with a bottle of wine to help celebrate our honeymoon. I would stay here again when I’m in the woodlands. It’s like a home away from home. Oh Yeah….the breakfast was pretty nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Bergen
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I felt at home from the moment I stepped into the hotel.

Friendly staff, relatively large and very clean apartments. Nice pool and a cosy fireplace outside. Walking distance from good restaurants and the mall. A tennis and basketball court.

Lots of storage space in the room, no noise...I loved the fact that they offer to shop you groceries at no extra cost.

Top this off with a simple but good breakfast and you have all you need really.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Johannesburg
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Adequate, if you're on a business trip. Relatively expensive for what's on offer.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed for a few nights with 5 person family. Very comfortable, free breakfast, quiet, indoor pool, very friendly and helpful service. Bed was not quite up to Marriott standard, but this is a residence inn, so no complaints. We plan to stay again for several nights soon.

Room Tip: I didn't see any poor room options