“Excellent Traditional Mexican”
Review of Viva Itacate - CLOSED

Viva Itacate
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I absolutely love Viva Itacate. Some of the dishes may have familiar names - tacos, enchiladas - but they will not be what you expect. This is not Tex-Mex. The surprise is always good, though, with thoughtfully prepared, balanced dishes that leave you feeling refreshed afterward, not leaden or heavy.

I've fallen in love with bocoles, which are small, very thick corn tortillas that are halved like a bun and filled with meat and vegetables. Kind of like the bread rounds you find at the store, except they're awesome corn tortillas instead of mediocre sandwich bread. A bit messy, but totally worth it. Tortas (Mexican sandwiches) are also on the menu, and definitely worth a try. Get the lunch special, which includes a cup of soup.

This is a bakery cafe, so there are plenty of baked goods to choose from. I prefer the savory empanadas to the sweet ones, but the cheese danish, croissants, conches, etc, are all terrific. In fact, this is the only place where I've had a Mexican baked good that actually tasted good. Usually, it just tastes like dry bread with a little sugar sprinkled on it; not at Viva Itacate.

They've also got a selection of coffee drinks, but I haven't tried them.

Counter service, reasonable prices, clean and comfortable dining room round things out.

2  Thank Chris B

Reviewed 29 May 2014

An unassuming little restaurant in the corner of a strip center turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise! Some of the best pan dulce I have ever had - empanadas, cronuts (croissant donuts), chocolate and almond filled croissants and much, much more!

Our lunch consisted of a torta with cochinita pibil and a cup of pozole. Both were absolutely delicious! The owner also gave us a little sample of their tres leches cake with caramel filling. It was so good we ordered a whole cake for an upcoming event. I can't wait to go back and try more of the menu. It's so refreshing to find a restaurant that offers authentic Mexican dishes.

1  Thank jealvear
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great food and wonderful people. Yummy introduction to tamales and migas for our Canadian friend! We will go back.

1  Thank J X
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Perry solid. Reminds me of a tearoom type place. More of a pastry place than restaurant it seems. It was a little awkward ordering. You order up front and get your own drink. Just a little differet. Overall very good food but didn't love the environment or service. I believe our waitress was new.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend is in town and we wanted coffee and small pastry before heading over to stand in line at Corksrew BBQ. Walking in we were greeted by the owner who described every item in detail to us. From there we choose to split the cream cheese croissant and sausage and pepper quiche. After a delightful latte and breakfast treat we made decided to come back tomorrow for lunch...more to come!

3  Thank TexasSunshine23