“Authentic is not always best”
Review of Viva Itacate - CLOSED

Viva Itacate
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This restaurant purports to be "authentic Mexican food," but that doesn't tell us much. After all, not all authentic American, French, or Chinese food is necessarily good. I have eaten in some 20 countries, and the food varies in quality just as it does here at home. I found the offerings to be both very good and somewhat disappointing. It is absurd that this place would be rated # 1 or in the top ten in The Woodlands. Not many discerning people would rate it that high, even if they think it's a good place to eat. I do want to try their bakery. Viva Itacate does have merit.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Looked this place up, saw that they had limited hours so I called and asked if they were open on a Sunday. I told the lady who answered we were headed that way and she said, "Awesome, come on!"

When we arrived, we found this place to be homey and the staff very friendly. We got the food and had to get back on the road. Food was amazing, bakery authentic Mexican food. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Chilaquiles definitely are delicious!!!The bakery is very tasty!! The empanadas are so good and tamales are definitely homemade!!!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great food. Friendly people. You wouldn't know it from the little ship mall they are located it, but this is a gem of a restaurant. Everything on the menu is tasty. The coffee is great, thick and creamy.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I absolutely love Viva Itacate. Some of the dishes may have familiar names - tacos, enchiladas - but they will not be what you expect. This is not Tex-Mex. The surprise is always good, though, with thoughtfully prepared, balanced dishes that leave you feeling refreshed afterward, not leaden or heavy.

I've fallen in love with bocoles, which are small, very thick corn tortillas that are halved like a bun and filled with meat and vegetables. Kind of like the bread rounds you find at the store, except they're awesome corn tortillas instead of mediocre sandwich bread. A bit messy, but totally worth it. Tortas (Mexican sandwiches) are also on the menu, and definitely worth a try. Get the lunch special, which includes a cup of soup.

This is a bakery cafe, so there are plenty of baked goods to choose from. I prefer the savory empanadas to the sweet ones, but the cheese danish, croissants, conches, etc, are all terrific. In fact, this is the only place where I've had a Mexican baked good that actually tasted good. Usually, it just tastes like dry bread with a little sugar sprinkled on it; not at Viva Itacate.

They've also got a selection of coffee drinks, but I haven't tried them.

Counter service, reasonable prices, clean and comfortable dining room round things out.

2  Thank Chris B