“Nice but over-priced for what you get”

The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Nice place and adequate room, but for $200 a night you will expect more. These guys nickel and dime you for every little thing. If you're going to a concert at the pavillion, you can't beat this location though; everything is in walking distance. I continue to stay here over and over again for the location only. If I find another hotel with a convenient shuttle to and from the concerts, I'll be done with the Marriott. Staff is nice. Food is average and of course over-priced.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center

Reviewed 8 May 2010

Was home for my R&R with the US Army from Afghanistan. Being from the North Houston Area my wife and I decided to stay in the Woodlands a few days and nights to enjoy the great shopping, restaurants, and the new bars springing up in the area. Travel is our passion and we have been all over the world.

Even in parts of the world where Anti-American Sentiment is prevalent I have received better service and more polite treatment. The location is great, the bar is good, but the rooms are nothing amazing and can be found at any Comfort Suites. Two major incidents stick out in our two night stay here.

The first was one evening we had a few friends visiting with us on the back terrace late in the evening. Hotel security stood twenty feet away and continually walked by and eyed us. Finally, they converged and began harassing and interrogating the small group of us. After several minutes of needless questions they verified my room number and left us alone. Simply walking up to us and asking my name and what room we were in would have been sufficient.

The second incident was because we returned to retrieve from room service a necklace that had been left in the room. Upon parking out front I was accosted by the valet boy, he had a hint of Russian or eastern bloc accent, who demanded I pay to park for an hour or go to the free parking a quarter mile away. I informed him I had been a guest, would be five minutes picking up an item. He proceeded to follow me in, almost acting as if he would put hands on me, and we found the manager at the same time. He was of slight build, average height, and wore glasses. I explained the situation and instead of getting the item he agreed with the punk valet and told me to go park down the street and come back. After walking back from the lot I received my item in just minutes, but the whole ordeal took more than half an hour. As I was leaving the valet yelled behind me, "Take your *** back to where you came from."

I would have written this sooner but I had to return to duty. Obviously this event has stuck with me and I am reminded of it as I review The Grand on Trafalgar Square we will soon be staying at. There are too many quality hotels that provide top quality service, relaxation, and amenities for a establishment to act in such a manner.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wicked0wild
HotelManagement002, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us back in January 2008. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get because we are always looking for ways to improve our service. I apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused you during your stay. I have shared your comments with our management staff. Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Hotel Management

Reviewed 28 February 2010

I thought this place would be out in the middle of nowhere and was pleasantly surprised to find it within walking distance to shops (an entire mall, plus a "market street" with more eclectic shops) and as many restaurants as one needs for a 4 day stay. Love the beds, love the rooms, and the hotel is very clean and efficient. A trolley runs between the hotel and the shops, the library, etc. so getting around is really easy. There is also a boat taxi!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bon23
HotelManagement002, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers, and for your comments on easy access to shopping and entertainment, and our comfortable beds. Being the only hotel located on The Woodlands Waterway, we offer travelers many dining, shopping and entertainment options within walking distance. We were happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

Stayed here for a family wedding. The rooms were lovely, great view over the waterway. Good AC, comfy beds and pillows. We booked the senior rate which was a great deal. The food and decor at the wedding reception were one of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and VERY deliciious too. Great service. There is a huge mall just across the street and a number of little shops and boutiques in walking distance. Great paths for walking and jogging too. Pool was attractive but little shade.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Just spent a week there in conference. Not once did I see the ubiquitous baked chicken meal ...Chicken, yes but WOW! Not only was the conference food terrific, but the restaurants in walking distance were top notch. The Hummel market right next door carries all kinds of fresh foods to take back up to your room. Shopping is convenient and great stores all close by. Beautiful waterway you can enjoy from your room or by water taxi. Typical Marriott customer service and rooms which have always been exceptional for me. Definitely will go back and not for work!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank butterfly060
Reviewed 27 March 2009

This hotel is a typical Marriott with all the bells and whistles. The location is great, located directly on the waterway and trolley service with the rooms having views of the water or the mall. At check in the women was curt and almost rude, she never informed us that we had been put on the concierge level with access to this service. She pretty much just gave us a key, no smile or information and sent us on our way. The next day the front desk was helpful and faxed something for my husband. The bar/resturant was very pricey but we did find te bar staff very friendly. The bar was "the happening place" every evening and was packed from about 5pm-9pm. Our room was kept very clean and had the usual amenities in the bathroom plus there was a fridge and coffee maker which made mornings go smoothly.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2009

Visited the Hotel over night during spring break week. Nice place,,,very clean...room was a little small. Nothing much to do in the area expect shop and eat. The hotel was empty so they didn't offer the breakfast buffet but it was included in my rate..... The pool was not heated, the spa very small. The gym was nice. My kids were bored so we packed up and left after one night......

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family