“Wonderful stay but way too pricey!”

The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
San Antonio, Texas
“Wonderful stay but way too pricey!”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I recently stayed at the Woodlands Waterway Marriott for a convention. We had trouble at check in because my colleague had booked the room under her credit card but her husband's rewards points. They would not allow us to check in until her husband arrived (he wasn't going to be there) or he called the reservation line and gave them the okay to let us check in. The receptionist who explained this to us was not pleasant at all. Even though my colleague had her card with her and it was in her name, we waited over an hour for her husband to complete the call with the reservation department. They told him that he could check in but when we went to the desk, they said the info had not been changed in the computer. Luckily, we were dealing with another receptionist this time and she had some common sense and allowed us to check in. She also allowed us to split the cost of the room without any hassle. With the exception of the first check in receptionist, all employees we encountered during the entire stay were very polite and helpful.

We paid a discounted convention rate of $150 a night. That's the most I've ever paid for a room so I expected the room to be spectacular, much better than the Gaylord Grapevine where I stayed a few years ago. The room was nice, but other than the bed, the room wasn't anything special. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on.

The area outside the back of the hotel is beautiful. I jogged every morning along the pathway that runs behind the hotel. The parking fee was outrageous so we used the free lot. We had to walk farther to get there, but at least we didn't have to pay way too much every day. The free Internet was only available in the common areas, not the room.

I'm sure the price has a lot to do with the hotel's central location to all the stores and places to eat. You can walk across the street and down one block and you are at the mall. If you go to The Woodlands to shop and eat and are okay with paying over $200 a night, then this is where you want to stay. However, there are several hotels a mile or two away that are much less expensive. Several colleagues stayed at these other hotels and said they were fine.

One note about the convention which was held at the hotel: We had two luncheons during our convention. The wait staff was wonderful and the food on both days was the most delicious food I've ever had at a convention. It was chicken on Friday, but it wasn't your typical too-dry convention chicken. On Saturday, it was NY Strip. That's the first time I've ever had beef at a convention and it was wonderful. So if you have a convention there, definitely attend. If you are going to The Woodlands for another reason other than shopping, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed at the Marriott for a seminar I was attending. The hotel itself was nicely furnished. Cleanliness was not a problem. But for goodness sakes, you're in Texas -- AND IT IS HOT!! My room stayed warm the entire stay. I was absolutely miserable trying to sleep. And other attendees had the same gripe. For as much as they charge per night, you'd think the AC would work!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed at the Woodlands Waterway a couple of time in the Fall of 2009 for conferences. I can say that the customer service was outstanding; they made me feel at home.

The room I was provided had ample room and even a mini bar fridge.

Rooms were clean and trendy. The carpet was also clean and did not have the residual wear like some of the other hotels.

Beds were above average and were positioned such that the individual air conditioning was not blowing over the top of one's head as they sleep... An often common trend found in hotels trying to conserve space. Some of my other colleagues stayed at another hotel and that was their one complaint and they ended up catching a cold!

The Woodlands Waterway is close to many eateries, markets, pubs, and a large mall. All within walking distance. Further, they do have some restaurants and room service in the hotel but never had the opportunity to use as it was closed for the night when I returned.

The view from the hotel is fantastic as it backs onto the marina. However, try to get a high floor room as you can sometimes hear the night noise of the outdoor bar/lounge below, and it seems quieter within the hotel on the higher floors (i.e., you don't hear other patrons as much).

Parking was available for a fee at the main hotel lot; a further lot away was free but not as secure.

Wireless and broadband internet is available in the guestrooms for a fee, plus applicable taxes. Also, there is a business centre available to print electronic boarding tickets on the main floor.

The rooms do not have an in-room safe but you could store valuables with the front desk.... Also, hair dryer, iron, and ironing board were available in the rooms I stayed in.

They also have a fitness centre, outdoor pool, and guest laundry room. They also do have full laundry service too.

Couple of things I found different from the two stays at this resort was the parkade and the bedding smelling of heavy perfume the second stay. With regards to the parkade, my colleagues and I had entry/exit passes to use for the duration of the stay. The first stay I used it with no problems. The second stay, each time we exited we were asked by the attendant if we were leaving/ concluding our stay with the hotel before our pass was returned. My only suspect of this was that they were trying to curb parking for patrons as a concert was being held later on in the week...?

For the value, location, and cleanliness, I would recommend this hotel to other if they have an extended stay in The Woodlands.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
HotelManagement002, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for being our guest and for your comments on the hotel and service you received during your recent stay at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel. We take all comments very serious as we strive to make each stay as comfortable as possible. I did make note on your comments regarding parking and have passed this information on to the appropriate manager to review.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2010

The reception for our wedding was great. The food was excellent (in fact the brunch the next morning was amazing). The room was incredible! However, the staff minus our wedding coordinator was less than par. It seemed that we were more of an inconvenience to the restaurant manager more than we were a valued guest who was spending 15000 plus to have our reception there. He was rude to several people in our wedding party.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Lsh0058
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Nice place and adequate room, but for $200 a night you will expect more. These guys nickel and dime you for every little thing. If you're going to a concert at the pavillion, you can't beat this location though; everything is in walking distance. I continue to stay here over and over again for the location only. If I find another hotel with a convenient shuttle to and from the concerts, I'll be done with the Marriott. Staff is nice. Food is average and of course over-priced.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Was home for my R&R with the US Army from Afghanistan. Being from the North Houston Area my wife and I decided to stay in the Woodlands a few days and nights to enjoy the great shopping, restaurants, and the new bars springing up in the area. Travel is our passion and we have been all over the world.

Even in parts of the world where Anti-American Sentiment is prevalent I have received better service and more polite treatment. The location is great, the bar is good, but the rooms are nothing amazing and can be found at any Comfort Suites. Two major incidents stick out in our two night stay here.

The first was one evening we had a few friends visiting with us on the back terrace late in the evening. Hotel security stood twenty feet away and continually walked by and eyed us. Finally, they converged and began harassing and interrogating the small group of us. After several minutes of needless questions they verified my room number and left us alone. Simply walking up to us and asking my name and what room we were in would have been sufficient.

The second incident was because we returned to retrieve from room service a necklace that had been left in the room. Upon parking out front I was accosted by the valet boy, he had a hint of Russian or eastern bloc accent, who demanded I pay to park for an hour or go to the free parking a quarter mile away. I informed him I had been a guest, would be five minutes picking up an item. He proceeded to follow me in, almost acting as if he would put hands on me, and we found the manager at the same time. He was of slight build, average height, and wore glasses. I explained the situation and instead of getting the item he agreed with the punk valet and told me to go park down the street and come back. After walking back from the lot I received my item in just minutes, but the whole ordeal took more than half an hour. As I was leaving the valet yelled behind me, "Take your *** back to where you came from."

I would have written this sooner but I had to return to duty. Obviously this event has stuck with me and I am reminded of it as I review The Grand on Trafalgar Square we will soon be staying at. There are too many quality hotels that provide top quality service, relaxation, and amenities for a establishment to act in such a manner.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wicked0wild
HotelManagement002, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2010
Dear Guest,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us back in January 2008. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get because we are always looking for ways to improve our service. I apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused you during your stay. I have shared your comments with our management staff. Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns.

Hotel Management
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I thought this place would be out in the middle of nowhere and was pleasantly surprised to find it within walking distance to shops (an entire mall, plus a "market street" with more eclectic shops) and as many restaurants as one needs for a 4 day stay. Love the beds, love the rooms, and the hotel is very clean and efficient. A trolley runs between the hotel and the shops, the library, etc. so getting around is really easy. There is also a boat taxi!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bon23
HotelManagement002, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers, and for your comments on easy access to shopping and entertainment, and our comfortable beds. Being the only hotel located on The Woodlands Waterway, we offer travelers many dining, shopping and entertainment options within walking distance. We were happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.