“Nice getaway”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
The Woodlands, Texas
“Nice getaway”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I went there to celebrate our anniversary. The resort is under renovation but they work hard to minimize disruption. The shuttle to take you back and forth between buildings runs frequently. The pool is a kid's paradise. Water slides, lazy river, zero entry pool. Sprayers are used to keep you cool as you sit poolside.
Our room was beautiful. The room was recently remodeled and done with beautiful, upscale taste. Robes in the closet, beautiful bedding, electrical plugs on bedside table, lovely bathroom. The only negative was our room was one that had a connecting door to the room next to it. Soundproofing seemed nonexistent which I am guessing was due to the gap between the door and carpeting between the two doors. Unfortunately, it was very difficult to sleep due to the loud, rambunctious, very full room of people next to us. To the credit of the hotel, they sent someone to talk to them as soon as we called down to the desk. It did take some subsequent pounding on the wall and asking them to keep it down to get them to finally settle down.
We stayed on a bed and breakfast package and the breakfast buffet was amazing. Made to order omelets, pancakes, waffles, fruits, yogurts. Also has a number of breakfast items appealing to a number of nationalities (cheeses, olives, etc). View outside the restaurant was beautiful.
Unfortunately, I had a broken ankle so could not partake in the price included activities of bike riding, pool, etc. Beautiful setting in the woods.
Great getaway. I would say it appeals more to families than a romantic getaway due to the number of young children. Would highly recommend. Little surprised by the daily $20 resort fee added on to the bill. Have to read the fine print on the website to see it mentioned.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Tracey Y,

Happy anniversary to you and your husband! Thank you for choosing to celebrate at our Resort. We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your staycation and our newly renovated guest rooms. We do apologize for the noisy neighbors and are glad to hear it was handled quickly. Our $20 resort fee is from Memorial Day through Labor Day for the added summer amenities and is listed on our website as well as all reservation calls. We look forward to having you stay with us again once your ankle heals so you can enjoy our pool, bicycle rentals and all the onsite amenities we have to offer.

Jasmine Avery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Lake Charles, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

With a 5 year old and a toddler, this resort was perfect! The daily activities gave us something to look forward to each day. The rooms on the ground level with pool access are brilliant! There was a lot of construction during our stay; which none of it bothered us. I hope to see another check in desk near the pool side when we return. We had to check in at one spot then drive back to the area which we were staying. Staff was very efficient.

Room Tip: Ground level with Pool Scape access!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Jessica P.,

So glad to hear how much fun your family had with us! We are the perfect getaway for a family with children and definitely recommend our first floor poolside rooms for closest access to our award wining Forest Oasis Waterscape. The renovation will be complete this fall and we will take your suggestion for multiple check in locations into consideration. Look forward to having you all visit us again soon!

Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Once the renovation is complete, this will be an awesome resort. I stayed in the older part of the resort, but it didn't make a difference. There was a pool, volleyball court, and other amenities less than a two minute walk from my room. I do recommend staying more than one day if possible, in order to fully enjoy the resort style pool. I didn't use the other facilities in the resort, but I'm sure the golf was great, because there was a lot of people on the courses.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Diana V
dmnorthcutt,

Thanks for sharing your great feedback with us! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in our Forest Lake lodges and are looking forward to the renovation being completed this fall. You'll have to come visit us again soon to to enjoy all the fun you missed!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

It is not easy traveling with two young children and an infant, but the Woodlands resort made our stay exceptional. The rooms were great, the breakfast was wonderful and the pools were amazing! There was so much to do that our children were entertained all weekend and did not want to leave. The lazy river was so much fun. They loved riding around the resort on the golf carts. The customer service that we received was incredible, everybody was so nice to us (always greeting us and holding doors). I would highly recommend the Woodlands resort to anybody looking for a great place to stay. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank AshSwapp
AshSwapp,

We are so happy to hear your family had a great weekend with us! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Sounds like you got to enjoy all the wonderful amenities we have to offer. We look forward to having you all stay with us again soon!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

So, here's the story. My daughter wanted to take a last minute trip to a resort with her friend. When she suggested this one, I wasn't hesitant because I'd stayed here before on business retreats years ago. I booked with reading the reviews. My mistake! It took 30 minutes to book by phone. I was put on hold multiple times which didn't start the weekend on the right foot.

After reading the reviews, I got nervous. I immediately called to speak to a manager. She was great! Totally reassuring and told me that if I wasn't happy I could cancel without penalty.

We arrived early and were told our room wasn't ready till 4. They gave us pool passes to pass the time. Nice touch! Four o'clock came and went. I checked back multiple times, but the front desk staff was unconcerned or apologetic. We got in our room around 5. It was the cedar building in the older section. Not nearly as bad I as expected. It did smell woodsy but it backed up to the lake which was nice. I'd compare it to glamping. Glamour camping!

The guys in the golf carts were the highlight of our experience. Really nice, helpful and friendly. Always holding doors open and asking if they could assist. Honestly they should run the front desk!

Not sure if I'd return or not. Pretty pricey for what they deliver. But the girls 12-16 yrs old had a blast!

Woodlands, pls step up your customer service!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Nicole S
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Nicole S.,

We apologize your recent stay with us didn't exceed your expectations. Customer service is our first priority and we take pride in offering the best experience to all our guests. Please contact us directly at 281-367-1100 so we can have the opportunity to overcome our short comings. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Love the setting of the Forest rooms but they need some work! Like another person said....the carpet is very dirty. We had to wear our shoes all the time and the sleeper sofa was so worn out that it needed to be thrown away. The rooms were clean otherwise. Check in was a complete disaster. We arrived with our 4 yr old and 18 month grandchildren. There were approximately 60 people ahead of us. A large conference was checking in also. Seems like they would have had a separate area for them. The staff offered us a pass to the pool area to wait for the line to dwindle but it was 98 degrees and swimsuits were packed in a fully loaded car. We didn't get in our room until 5 pm after an hour and a half wait. The pool area is beautiful and the staff very friendly and helpful. Also, the pool cafe has good food.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Donnats
woodlandsresort, Public Relations Manager at The Woodlands Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Donnats,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. We do apologize for the delay in check in at our temporary location during the renovation process. Weekends are busy with the opening of our new lazy river and we are trying to check people in as quickly as possible. We look forward to having you stay with us again and get to experience the newly renovated property this fall.

Sachse, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Each year my family holds a reunion at a resort somewhere in Texas. We are a large Catholic family and generally book around 20 rooms to accommodate all of us. We have been to the Woodlands for many of these reunions going back to the early 80's. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and all of the luxuries that the Woodlands offers. This resort is focused on a large waterpark area and a very nice golf course. There were however some aspects that I felt were lacking given the resorts prices and reputation.

We booked the entire 3rd floor, which is a concierge level, although there is no concierge. It does provide several open areas for us to congregate and eat. Access to this floor is through an RFID card you use in the elevator. Unfortunately for me, I had a room on the 1st floor since the 3rd only has about 14 rooms. My room card was magnetic and could not be placed next to my 3rd floor access card or my phone otherwise it would be wiped. This did happen and I had to get new cards at the lobby building. Strangely, no other hotel I have stayed at with a magnetic card has been wiped by placing next to my phone, maybe I was lucky before.

Our room was not as nice as the 3rd floor rooms, though we paid the same price. We did not have the newer furniture or a refrigerator. Our room smelled like cat pee or something else foul, we didn't change rooms immediately as it wasn't worth it for the small amount of time we spent in my room, though we shouldn't have to worry about this at a resort of this level. One thing we thought was strange about all of the rooms was the lack of hooks or rods to hang up towels or swimsuits. This is especially true since the main feature is a waterpark and they place a card in the room (like many other hotels) that says hang up your towel if you would like to use it again. The room walls are very thin, we could easily hear the conversations of other partying guests into the early morning hours. We could also easily hear the extremely squeaky wheels of the luggage carts whenever they would come down the halls.

The golf course was expensive but probably appropriately priced, I am not a regular golfer but enjoyed my playing time and did not feel rushed. Beverage carts didn't come by as often as I would have like, but that might have been because it was 9:30 in the morning.

The waterpark area is a main feature and big enough to not be crowded. That is not to say that it isn't busy, but you don't feel like there are too many people. Many families are there and kids running around everywhere, but adults can still congregate in the pool and have a relaxing time. There are two large pools, a splash area for kids and a waterslide tower with two slides. The pools are clean and at a nice temperature, overall a good experience for relaxing in the water or lounging in the sun. The hot tub is constantly packed and often with children, we never considered getting in. Around the pools there are plenty of chairs, even for our family to be together in groups of 10-15. The pool area waitstaff is hit or miss, and this is where the service starts to fall apart. On the first day, a Friday, we got pretty decent service. The staff would come by often enough to not want for a drink. By Saturday, when the resort was full, that all changed. We couldn't get drinks within 20 minutes of placing an order, and then another 30 before the staff would return. Our orders were often wrong, like getting frozen drinks when you wanted rocks, or margaritas instead of mojitos. One cause could have been that there is only one bar, and bartender for the entire water park area. This seems like an extreme oversight that is not only leading to bad service, but lost revenue for the resort. Another concern at the pool area is the one outside bathroom. I never had to wait in line, but some did. Additionally, the bathroom has standard tile, which was soaking wet, disgusting and very slippery.

Food is important for our family get togethers and the Woodlands was both bad and good. First the good - when we were lounging around the pool during lunch many of us ate wraps and snacks from the pool bar. I had the Korean wrap and it was delicious, others enjoyed the Ahi tuna. We all continuously ordered their Garlic Fries and probably put on 5 pounds from that dish alone. They are indescribably phenomenal, perfectly crisp with some soggy so every one gets what they like, the flavor was outstanding and made a great snack at out lounge chair base stations. For our main family Dinner we ate from the buffet in the main dining room. In years past we had a prix fixe dinner, but always envied the buffet as well so we decided to keep it simple and everyone could have more choices. Our waitstaff that night was excellent, totally different caliber of service from the poolside. The dishes were varied - assorted salads, chicken parmigiana, potatoes, Cuban pizza. None really stood out as superb, but the chipotle sirloin that was served right out of the roaster was very good. Now the not so good - The breakfast provided for the concierge floor was continental breakfast -no eggs, no meat. This disappointed many of us, and so we added to that with salmon and bagels from on of our family members. You would think for that level of expenditure you could get tray of eggs or dish of bacon. We also ate food that we brought in, and could eat together in the common areas of the concierge floor. The staff did not provide plates, napkins or anything to help for those meals.

In summary, this place is very good, but not necessarily a good value. Too often you run into poor service, an uncaring attitude or a disappointing room feature. Surprisingly, the area we stayed in had just been remodeled, but it seems like they should take another shot at it to get it right. I will go back when we have another family event, but not otherwise, and I will be frustrated with paying so much. One tip I would share for other travelers is this, valet your car on the first night. It is very handy as there are many buildings and you will park further away. The valet charge is per day, so even if you don't use your car again, you will be charged each day. The way to get around this is to ask for your key back on the second day. The car stays in the same spot and you only pay for one day.

Room Tip: Not the first floor, rooms are not as nice and traffic is heavy from poolgoers.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TimShivers
TimShivers,

We are glad to hear you choose to celebrate your family reunion with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We take our guest feedback seriously and will share your suggestions with the correct departments to improve. We look forward to the opportunity to host your family reunion again in the future.