“Catfish on Friday 'cause it's Lent”
Review of Thorndale Downtown Cafe - CLOSED

Thorndale Downtown Cafe
Price range: US$4 - US$16
Cuisines: American
Description: Part of metropolitan Georgetown (Austin, Texas area)
Description: Part of metropolitan Georgetown (Austin, Texas area)
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I could not disagree more with the previous comment about bad pork whatever...

I have enjoyed several meals, including buffet meals, that do my heart and family good. Incredible food and nice people characterize both the City of Thorndale and the Downtown Cafe.

Don't believe me? Then read these other positive reviews when you google...

• brackenphotography p=86

• yelp downtown cafe

1  Thank C_Rod730

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Spent an hour doing hair & makeup, clean clothes. A rare night that the husband asks me out. Looking forward so much to a nice meal. Didn't happen. I got the Pork Chop Dinner. As soon as the kid set the plate down, I got a whiff of something nasty. I cut a piece & as the fork got close to my nose, there was little doubt the pork had gone bad. Kid came back & said he couldn't smell anything. I stood up & walked out, leaving my poor husband to eat his overpriced hamburger steak dinner alone. I sat in the truck. Great date, huh? I will never go back, not even if the meal were on the house. There is no way a Cook can stand over rotten pork chops & not know it. Terrible from start to abrupt finish. F Minus.

1  Thank mrssorell
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is one of those hidden gems we all like to find. Passing through Thorndale on the way back from an East Texas business trip, I saw a small sign on Hwy 79, and turned down main street. One thing lead to another, so I got to eat here three times in two weeks. First time, caught the Friday buffet, and can testify that their catfish is delicious. Dawn Morton spoiled me rotten, but she does that to all the customers, I'm sure. Sweet tea, mashed potatoes, homemade fruit salad, homemade bread, it was all wonderful. This building was originally the Forbes grocery store in beautiful downtown Thorndale (a Texas small town making a comeback, I'm happy to say), which is about 50 miles northeast of Austin, on Hwy 79, a major corridor to East Texas, about halfway between Taylor and Rockdale. They had the big screen TV going (with closed captioning), and the Satellite radio was playing Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, and the Beatles. Great music to eat by. Some fellow diners at the table next door volunteered they were actually from Georgetown (about 40 miles away), and regularly made the trip to the Downtown Cafe to eat their world class chicken salad. Another good tip, I'm sure. Second visit, I tried the "Colossal Chicken Fried Steak". Louis Alvarez, your host, is not kidding. Imagine a 14" pizza pan covered in chicken fried steak. Golden fried batter, and tenderized steak, just like your grandmother used to make on Sunday dinner. Outstanding. Last time around, I tried the ribeye. I'm not a big fan of ribeye, because usually they have too much fat, but they are always tender. This was the best of both worlds: tender, and lean (for a ribeye), and prepared to perfection. Anybody travelling in the Thorndale area should seek out this cafe. It's well worth the time and trouble. If you go, tell'em Catfish sentcha, and enjoy a world class Texas cafe. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank rangercatfish