“Lunch in Thorndale”

Thorndale Downtown Cafe
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Thorndale
Price range: US$4 - US$16
Cuisines: American
Description: Part of metropolitan Georgetown (Austin, Texas area)
Description: Part of metropolitan Georgetown (Austin, Texas area)
Los Angeles, California
“Lunch in Thorndale”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This Downtown Main Street Restaurant appears as it did some forty years ago outside, but as you enter, acquire seating the interior ambiance and decors are refreshed distinctive Texas environment.

Food servings are Texas servings, i.e. a little is a lot! I found this restaurant to be a very fine place to eat with friendly people.

Obviously off the beaten path but if you are on the road in Texas and passing through Thorndale, it won't be a problem to find a place to sit down and have lunch or dinner.

• Visited June 2013

Texas
“good find”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Out for a Sunday drive...we are heading to Salado...we love taking long drives...but it's past that time...we are hungry!...town after town...nothing is really open...we come into Thorndale and of course the town is closed up except this little cafe...and we think, why not...it's cute on the outside...very inviting...we walk in it's dark inside and very cool (temp)...there's good music playing...I'm happy..cause it's so hot and bright outside...and after driving for miles and miles, my eyes welcomed it all.

They had a huge Sunday only brunch buffet that is set up really cute...they have about 5 different salads, a mexican dish, lamb stew, crab cakes, roast on the cutting board, chicken, lots of veggies, and allot of desserts to choose from...my hubby was so happy...what a good find...I went for chicken fried chicken and onion rings...now you better be hungry cause it's a ton of food and it was so good...my husband had never had lamb and after his first serving, he said it grows on you and went for seconds...we sat and enjoyed our meal.

I could of used more time getting to look at the menu...I did feel rushed on that...but the lady waiting on us was so nice I couldn't get upset...she never let us want for anything...and my food was yummy...so no complaints...have to add in that the restroom was super clean.

We plan to visit again...I'll stick to the menu, cause I know my husband will make sure we only wind up this way on a Sunday.

There is Little Deb's Sweets, a shop next door that is part of this place...it seemed drab after the cafe...like it was an after thought...it could use some happiness...it's a walk up for some blue bell and pie...which they serve in the cafe.

The only thing that would of been better was if some of the other shops in town would of been open...but that's why we're going to Salado...Ok I have to throw this in...if your ever in Salado, make sure you stop at "Matters of the Heart"...it's a small jewelry store that has great prices...it was a Great find...take time to really look at the pieces and get the background...it's what really makes a small jewelry store stand out.

Downtown Cafe
118 South Main Street
Thorndale, Texas
www.thorndaledtc.com
(512) 898-4116

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Basques
Austin, Texas
“Good Stuff & Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

For the most part the food is really good. I would recommend the chicken fried chicken sandwich if your really hungry. I dare you to try to eat the whole thing in one sitting. It is the biggest Chicken Fried Chicken I have ever seen. I'm talking it would cover the whole plate. Sunday brunch is a little pricy but, its hard to beat for the amount of food you can eat. All in all I would say Two Thumbs Up.

• Visited July 2012
Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Catfish on Friday 'cause it's Lent”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I could not disagree more with the previous comment about bad pork whatever...

I have enjoyed several meals, including buffet meals, that do my heart and family good. Incredible food and nice people characterize both the City of Thorndale and the Downtown Cafe.

Don't believe me? Then read these other positive reviews when you google...

• brackenphotography p=86

• yelp downtown cafe

Visited March 2012
1 Thank C_Rod730
Kerrville, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrid Rotten Pork Chops”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Spent an hour doing hair & makeup, clean clothes. A rare night that the husband asks me out. Looking forward so much to a nice meal. Didn't happen. I got the Pork Chop Dinner. As soon as the kid set the plate down, I got a whiff of something nasty. I cut a piece & as the fork got close to my nose, there was little doubt the pork had gone bad. Kid came back & said he couldn't smell anything. I stood up & walked out, leaving my poor husband to eat his overpriced hamburger steak dinner alone. I sat in the truck. Great date, huh? I will never go back, not even if the meal were on the house. There is no way a Cook can stand over rotten pork chops & not know it. Terrible from start to abrupt finish. F Minus.

• Visited February 2012