“Fabulous find in West Texas”

Balmorhea State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Toyahvale
More attraction details
Owner description: A 48-acre park in the western desert fed by a special underground spring.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This park was highly recommended by a dear friend who has been here many times over the years for family reunions. I was told the pool was a must see. My husband and I stopped for a few days, unfortunately it was very cold at the time. Other than the park, the town has virtually no attractions unless you like to sight see old neighborhoods, seemingly from a forgotten era. We did take a ride out to the lake It's much bigger than we expected and I'm sure during fishing season the place can be quite busy.
The park itself is clean and well maintained. The cottages were being renovated while we were there.
On our last day there, my husband insisted that we take a swim. How can you not, he said. Anyway, it was 35 degrees outside as we walked over to the pool. Shedding my outer garments was a bit difficult, thinking about and feeling the freezing temperatures. However, after jumping in to the 70+ degree pool, I was transfixed! It felt great. I actually had to keep my head under water to warm it up. How cool! The water was crystal clear and fish and turtles and who knows what else was underneath me. Such a natural, clean, wonderful experience.

4  Thank plbbob

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed here cause of a ice storm that boxed us in while driving but wow what an amazing place. The wether was so cold but the steam from the spring really made the land scape magical. The rooms where very nice and spacious and they us tons of towels. The staff where super nice and extremely helpful.
Not far from i-10 this place was a great little hidden spot. We woke up to iced cars and roads but the steam from the spring looked so inviting we decided to take a dip. I highly recommend it!
The nearby town has a nice new gas stop and a few places to get food. All in all a great find!

6  Thank helio666
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stopped here when we were forced to stop in Fort Stockton on our way home from a family trip. There was snow on the ground (VERY unusual!) but my husband remembered stopping here in his youth. VERY cool! The kids really were fascinated by the scuba divers and the fish, turtles, etc. We planned on coming back this summer, but didn't make it. They have now closed their lodging with kitchenette (which seems necessary as not much else in area); I would suggest staying in Fort Stockton unless you are camping. But Fort Stockton isn't much of a town - but it is a town!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

my 2 gal friends went on a 2 day trip to the southwest we went to this park, nice springs saw deer in the cabin area and tested the waters. pretty, we went to the lake that was nearby about a mile. nice place to fish and see nature, many seagulls and was very quiet and tranquil.

1  Thank paddies2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stopped by Balmorhea State Park in far west Texas in late October.

Although it had been very cool in the morning it warmed up by mid afternoon and the water was amazingly warm. I know in the summer when it 105 I would be saying the water was amazing cool.

The swimming area is very large and deep, with depths up to 25 feet. There are low diving board and a high diving board with easy swim outs.

I swim about 1/2 mile a week and this is a great place for swimming distances. Use a snorkel as there is so much to enjoy underwater and the water is crystal clear. In fact you can stand on the sidewalk next to water that is 20 feet deep, see the bottom perfectly and it looks like its only 8-10 feet but it is a lot deeper.

The swimming area is also great for the disabled as it has a lift that can lift a person and genitally get them in and out of the pool. The low is is also real easy access for kids.

The only down side is there is a considerable amount of algae on the bottom, on rocks, and sides. I know they have to do this for all of the animal life and the endangered fish that are only found here but it can make it a bit tricky. They do allow scuba diving so that can also kick up a lot of algae.

To really enjoy the amazement of this spring you have to see the canals and wet land area. Gives you a real appreciation for how valuable a resource like this is. Then go into town and see the canals and the sheer amount of water flowing from the spring that far away.

Would I go to far west Texas to see just this? No. But if I were in the area I would make it a must stop.

Here is a tip, if you are visiting another Texas State Park your pass for that park works here as well. Simply take your pass to the check-in counter and you will not have to pay an entrance fee.

1  Thank Bob W