“Great place to relax (when the crowds aren't there).”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Toyahvale
Balmorhea State Park
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Spent three nights in April when the place was virtually deserted. Was too cold to swim except for one day. But still a great experience. Rooms are rustic. Rustic. Did I mention .. rooms are rustic. But I still enjoyed staying there very much.

Room Tip: Did I mention the rooms are rustic? I stayed in one of the end rooms -- there are only two? -- that...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Delightful architecture surrounds this historic swimming pool fed by the San Solomon Springs. The water is cool and the pool has a large three foot deep area for younger swimmers. The day we were there a dozen scuba divers were diving down in the 30 feet deep area to see the springs. Great little person diving board and big person diving board.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Burton B
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed in the smaller cabin (san Solomon). There was no grill but there was a picnic table. The room itself was very dated and the beds were pretty sunk in and definitely need to be replaced. No fridge or microwave, so if you take a cooler make sure it's going to keep your food and drinks cold for the entirety of your stay. We barely slept due to the amount of bugs hitting the windows once the sun went down. There were tarantulas right outside the door. Didn't see any bugs inside the cabin itself. They don't offer a lot in the room itself so bring you own towels, soaps, etc. it was rather expensive for the one night stay and I think if I went out again I would take an rv instead. The water was clear and you could see lots of small fish. I recommend water shoes as there is algae. There is amazing stars out there like I've never seem before in my life. Bring bug spray and anything you might need as the town doesn't offer much, a shell store and very few restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Lisap2300
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went on a birding trip and hadn't stayed at the State Park in awhile so I thought I'd try it again. my traveling companion made the reservationsand was told that we were getting the last room which was a much larger room then we needed. That night there were three cars in the parking lot so I know it wasn't full but we had to pay over $100 for the room. She was also told that they had recently remodeled. The only remodeling has been paint and taking carpet out. There might be some new furniture in there but it was hard to tell. To me it looks the same as when I stayed there 20 years ago minus the carpet. Walked around barefooted for about 10 minutes and then had to wash my feet they were so dirty. Our neighbor was grilling and the smell came in our room and made me think the building was on fire. There are much better hotels to stay in in town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Great location. Beautiful scenery. Balmorhea pool is amazing!
Parking was great, plenty of room.
Water clarity was 100 ft or better.
Park staff were friendly and helpful.
The camp grounds were well marked and nicely maintained.
THIS IS A GREAT PLACE BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE N OUTDOOR LOVER OF NATURE.

Cons:
Electricity went out for the folks staying in cabins, BUT no big issues because it seemed everyone had charcoal grills, Coleman stoves for cooking, and laterns for light.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

This is a great park. We are only here for two nights but happy we switched from the PA site in Balmorhea (basically a gas station parking lot) to this state park. We read that there were no shower facilities at the other place and that there are showers at the state park. So glad we did! No sewer hookups but for only two nights that's not a problem. There is a dump site if that was needed. There are wonderful little ramadas covering the picnic tables which are mounted on a cement slab at each campsite. There's also a fire pit and separate grill. It makes for a very comfortable and homey set-up. The best part for me is being able to use the opposite side for my workout area to practice yoga and use the wall. There are two bath houses - one at the campsite and one at the pool. Oh and this isn't just a pool- this is a TEXAN style pool! It gigantic! It's spring feed and includes minnows and catfish in the expansive 1.75 acre body of water. My photo was taken while standing on the diving board and shows only a third of the water hole. The water feels warmer than the 72-76 degrees that is maintained year round. The closest restaurant is 25 miles away so be sure to have some food in your camper. If we weren't on a timeline I could easily stay here longer. Fort Davis is just 30 miles away so that is where we will head for our mountain hiking as Balmorhea is pretty level. We bought an annual state park pass so we can hit a number of the Texan parks as we pass through the state - $70. Otherwise in addition to the $17/night camping fee there would be a $7/person daily park use fee. If the other 89 parks are as nice as this one it will be worth the investment. We camped here in a Class A motorhome.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank diedrekaye
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were between scuba trips and were itching to get back in the water. We found balmorhea on pinterest of all places and decided to make the 8 hour drive to dive it. Sounds crazy but the amazing dive we had made it all worth it! The water is beautiful, clear and warm! It's hard to believe that you can find such warm crystal clear water in November! The fish are amazing as well there are thousands in the spring and they are very friendly since they are used to being hand fed by divers! If you are thinking about making a trip to balmorhea we say do it! You won't regret this beautiful amazing natural wonder! Just make sure to call ahead to the dive shop next door they were not open to fill our tanks so we only had one dive.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelbaby23

Been to Balmorhea State Park? Share your experiences!