“Friendly, helpful front desk staff.”

Candlewood Suites Tyler
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Tyler
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Being unfamiliar with Tyler and here on business for one night only, I read many hotel reviews and decided Candlewood was the best value for the money. How surprised was I to be welcomed by Lizz on arrival. Lizz was helping another customer, but acknowledged me politely and said she would be right with me. It is not what she said, but how she said it. After she finished helping another customer, she checked me in efficiently and warmly and seemed genuinely glad I chose with Candlewood. I have NEVER written a review in my life, but this person deserves acknowledgement and her employer deserves acknowledgement for hiring employees who excel in customer service. Lizz also explained the amenities and their locations in detail. Just wow! I travel frequently and I rarely see good customer service, especially in the hotel chain business, but here the customer service is excellent. The rooms are clean. The amenities are plentiful. And you start your stay with a positive vibe. It is also the cheapest hotel on this side of town and several neighbors quoted me higher prices for similar amenities because their "prices changed based on number of rooms available". Win-win all around for me today!

• Stayed: April 2013
Lizz W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for your feedback! I am so glad that I was able to help you efficiently get checked in so you could just relax after traveling. I can assure you that I enjoy all of our guest and try and make the Candlewood experience just as if you were at home. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Tyler with a smile on my face.

Lizz W.
Director of Sales
Candlewood Suites-Tyler, TX

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was one of the worst hotesl I have ever stayed, and I travel a lot. This hotel started out as a disaster before we even got there. We booked the hotel about 1.5 weeks in advance, a day after we booked our hotel we realized that they allowed pets. We did not grow up with pets and we were bringing a baby and 2 toddlers who we were not sure if they were allergic. Once my sister saw the pet policy, we called to cancel our hotel because we did not want to deal with any allergic reactions since we have had them in the past. I was not aware that in their fine print it states that our payment was final, there's a box you check right before you pay. It is not clear so make sure you pay extra attention during payment. We called their corporate office and the local hotel over 1 week before we were supposed to check in but they refused to refund the money or move us to a sister hotel. They basically did not listen to us, it was obvious that all they wanted was our money. At a normal hotel you have up to 24 to 72 hours to cancel. We booked the hotel on their site just for flexibility alone. Their product is horrible if it weren't they would have given us the choice to cancel our stay as needed.

Needless to say, when we got there late Friday night, there was absolutely zero customer service. The whole hotel has a pretty nasty musty smell, it's a combination of old age, cigarette smoke, perfumes and air freshner all in one = disgusting. Our room was dingy, most hotels have white bedsheets, theirs was off white and ours had a nasty stain on it, it was either blood that couldn't get washed off or coffee stains, either way it was nasty. There was one trash can in the whole suite and they only clean your room once a week. If you need new towels, you need to bring your old towels downstairs to exchange them for new ones. I was not aware that this was an extended stay hotel.

All in all, I did not have a good experience. I was so disgusted that I checked out (I went to Holiday Inn Express on Loop 323 - so much better) the next day but forgot to call until that evening and they still charged me for two nights. I had no more energy to argue with them, they can keep my money for doing absolutely nothing for me. All I know is that I will never stay at another Candlewood Suite I don't care how affordable their rates seem to be, it's not worth it at all. Especially if you're used to staying at nice places with actual customer service...find another hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you're used to being treated well.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ijeoma_A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Ijeoma_A,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We called ahead of a rehearsal dinner / wedding we were coming out of town for. Hundreds of hotels in Tyler to choose from, but this one looked ok and was a food location choice for us. Got a queen bed suite w/ pullout couch so our two children could have done extra room. The bed was NOT a Queen bed by any stretch of the imagination. If you need one that has some size, it's not this place, go elsewhere.

Then, we could have really used a little extra time in the room, as the wedding started at 1:30. Ive been traveling for years, and NEVER been told that I couldn't have a little extra time or late checkout, until last night. They told us that unless we signed up for the priority club, we had to be out by noon. Hope it was worth it and they got someone else in our room, cause I won't be back. Nowadays, customer service is the key, we didn't ask for much, and received even less. Two thumbs down!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank coachphlieg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear coachphlieg,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Tyler.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Spacious room with a kitchenette. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. A better showerhead would make all of the difference. Comfortable bed, nice linens. The location is decent. Not much within walking distance, but a lot of restaurants and shopping within a short drive. Kitchen equipment is provided. The was equipped with a dishwasher as well. There is also free laundry.

This is an upscale extended stay hotel. Housekeeping is offered once a week. They do not clean daily. It is up to you to take out your own trash and keep clean towels. A lot of people don't seem to realize this when they check in.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank 86goodintentions
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great location - easy access to a major artery through Tyler (Highway 69/Broadway), but set back far enough that traffic noise isn't an issue. Also near a nice, shaded walking trail. Close to lots of restaurants and the mall.

The rooms are nice and well-equipped. One one occasion, I stayed in a studio - furnished with a queen-sized bed, full-sized refrigerator, stove, and microwave. Pans, plates, and eating utensils are also provided. Great value at around $63 dollars per night, before tax.

On the other occasion, I stayed in a suite, which was also nice, but obviously much more expensive.

Rooms are quiet - no traffic noise (as previously mentioned), and quiet AC units. Light sleepers will be happy here. No on-site restaurant, but they do have a "pantry" with common items (juice, eggs, etc.) available for purchase. Because this is an extended-stay property, the front desk keeps limited hours, but is staffed for most of the day/night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I decided to visit family for the weekend. Check in was quick. The clerk at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Upon entering our suite we discovered the room to be very clean, smelled fresh and roomy. The room had a nice recliner in it for relaxing and watching tv. The kitchenette was just the right size for warming up something on the cooktop or utilizing the microwave. The refrigerator was full size (standard apartment size) and came in handy for left overs. I did enjoy the ice maker option as well. No need to run down a hallway with a bucket for ice. Everything about the place seemed pretty secure and the hallways were quiet.
On Saturday evening I was unable to enter the building from the side entrance. We walked up to the front desk to have my card checked. Apparently, it made contact with my cell phone and it de-activated my card. The lady at the front fixed the issue and handed me an additional card. She did explain to me that I was fortunate to have come by at that hour due to the fact that they shut the front desk down at 11pm and do not return until 7am the next morning. Glad we were able to catch her before closing. We utilized their vending area or as they call it "Cupboard". You must have a hotel card in order to get in. It is run on an honor system where you fill out a card with what you take. You can either have it billed to your room or simply drop cash in the slot. I found these items to be very reasonably priced. Unlike the traditional vending machines found in hotel hallways. A can of Diet Coke was $0.50 and brownies were $0.75. Over all, we were comfortable and would most definitely stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JaxAdams
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had an extended stay(1 month). I was extremely pleased with my accomidatiolns. Over the hotel is clean, friendly helpful staff. My room was cleaned once a week. My room had a full size refrig, 2 burner stove, mircowave, and full size dish washer. Dishes, cookware, dish towels and dish soap all provided. ( much similar to my own quallity). They have a small movie library, free laundry units, weight room, and "cupboard" that has snacks and beverages at REASONABLE/FAIR prices. I can only think of 1 really complaint. The TV's are outdated. If they would invest money in their TV's I'm sure they woulld get better reviews. Thanks for reading my review. B Brown Joplin MO.

Room Tip: Spa in being remodeled for a business center. Spa Lift required by ordiance.Great location, close to...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business