“Probably won't be back.”

Candlewood Suites Tyler
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Tyler
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I liked the layout of the room, the well equipped kitchenette, and the bed was comfortable. The coffee was good and strong. But the front desk ladies need to work on their customer service. Information did not get transferred from one to another and the one that actually checked me in seemed put out that I was there. I did not get to check out the pool. There was a non-appealing smell throughout the hotel. It is conveniently located for shopping and Rose Rudman Park is right outside the back door. If there was a space between very good and average, I would choose that bubble.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sheri L

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The exterior and surrounding neighborhood are OK, but the room itself was great for a one night stopover in Tyler. Since we arrived late in the day and left early in the morning so I can't speak to the convenience of the location. Everything in the 2 room suite with a well laid out and equipped kitchen was very nice quality and worked. The staff was friendly when we checked in. We had

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The room was great. The hot tub & pool, was great. But the front desk is lazy. Make sure they bring down your luggage rack. That's their job! Other than that, breakfast was great. Coffee was strong. Check it out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Unfamiliar with Tyler Candlewood Suites was in the perfect location for dining and shopping. I enjoyed my stay and they even made sure I didn't have to walk a long way to enter and exit my room (circulation issue). The staff was friendly and the room was clean upon my arrival. I stayed 4 nights (Thursday - Sunday) and the linen was not changed, and I had to personally exchange the towels. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I was close to the elevator but did not hear it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Lizz W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you so much for the review! We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guest on how we are doing. Next time that you come to Tyler we will be glad to make you feel like you are at home again!

Lizz W.
Director of Sales
Candlewood Suites-Tyler, TX

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The linens on bed had not been changed....I rolled down covers to find used Kleenex and cookie crumbs in bed. Their front desk closes at 11:00 so I had to sleep on dirty linens. When I checked in as a Gold Club member I was not offered a drink on snack from cupboard. While my vehicle was in parking lot a nail was driven into the side of my tire. The man at Discount Tire said there was no way I drove over that, he said it was deliberate and on purpose. Horrible Horrible experience. Stay away at all cost!!!

Room Tip: Linens not changed. Rolled down covers to find a used Kleenex and cookie crumbs. Front desk closes...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank chattycathy526
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear chattycathy526,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold member and for leaving us a feedback.

i am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with teh level of cleanliness in your room and for the dissatisfaction you have encountered with our level of service. We deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay.

Your comments are very important to us as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Being unfamiliar with Tyler and here on business for one night only, I read many hotel reviews and decided Candlewood was the best value for the money. How surprised was I to be welcomed by Lizz on arrival. Lizz was helping another customer, but acknowledged me politely and said she would be right with me. It is not what she said, but how she said it. After she finished helping another customer, she checked me in efficiently and warmly and seemed genuinely glad I chose with Candlewood. I have NEVER written a review in my life, but this person deserves acknowledgement and her employer deserves acknowledgement for hiring employees who excel in customer service. Lizz also explained the amenities and their locations in detail. Just wow! I travel frequently and I rarely see good customer service, especially in the hotel chain business, but here the customer service is excellent. The rooms are clean. The amenities are plentiful. And you start your stay with a positive vibe. It is also the cheapest hotel on this side of town and several neighbors quoted me higher prices for similar amenities because their "prices changed based on number of rooms available". Win-win all around for me today!

• Stayed: April 2013

Just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for your feedback! I am so glad that I was able to help you efficiently get checked in so you could just relax after traveling. I can assure you that I enjoy all of our guest and try and make the Candlewood experience just as if you were at home. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Tyler with a smile on my face.

Lizz W.
Director of Sales
Candlewood Suites-Tyler, TX

Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was one of the worst hotesl I have ever stayed, and I travel a lot. This hotel started out as a disaster before we even got there. We booked the hotel about 1.5 weeks in advance, a day after we booked our hotel we realized that they allowed pets. We did not grow up with pets and we were bringing a baby and 2 toddlers who we were not sure if they were allergic. Once my sister saw the pet policy, we called to cancel our hotel because we did not want to deal with any allergic reactions since we have had them in the past. I was not aware that in their fine print it states that our payment was final, there's a box you check right before you pay. It is not clear so make sure you pay extra attention during payment. We called their corporate office and the local hotel over 1 week before we were supposed to check in but they refused to refund the money or move us to a sister hotel. They basically did not listen to us, it was obvious that all they wanted was our money. At a normal hotel you have up to 24 to 72 hours to cancel. We booked the hotel on their site just for flexibility alone. Their product is horrible if it weren't they would have given us the choice to cancel our stay as needed.

Needless to say, when we got there late Friday night, there was absolutely zero customer service. The whole hotel has a pretty nasty musty smell, it's a combination of old age, cigarette smoke, perfumes and air freshner all in one = disgusting. Our room was dingy, most hotels have white bedsheets, theirs was off white and ours had a nasty stain on it, it was either blood that couldn't get washed off or coffee stains, either way it was nasty. There was one trash can in the whole suite and they only clean your room once a week. If you need new towels, you need to bring your old towels downstairs to exchange them for new ones. I was not aware that this was an extended stay hotel.

All in all, I did not have a good experience. I was so disgusted that I checked out (I went to Holiday Inn Express on Loop 323 - so much better) the next day but forgot to call until that evening and they still charged me for two nights. I had no more energy to argue with them, they can keep my money for doing absolutely nothing for me. All I know is that I will never stay at another Candlewood Suite I don't care how affordable their rates seem to be, it's not worth it at all. Especially if you're used to staying at nice places with actual customer service...find another hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you're used to being treated well.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ijeoma_A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Tyler, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Ijeoma_A,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.