“FANTASTIC!”
Review of Villa Montez

Villa Montez
Ranked #5 of 364 Restaurants in Tyler
Cuisines: Central American, Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fort Worth, Texas
“FANTASTIC!”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Villa Montez on Saturday night with another couple and their toddler son. What a GREAT meal!!! We loved Villa Montez and wish we had eaten there on Friday night, as well. :) Although we were seated in the basement and didn't get to see the view, it was evening, so it didn't bother us too much. Our server was outstanding and even brought my friend's son a to-go cup with corks in it to play with. She was wonderful with her recommendations and extremely knowledgeable about everything on the menu. We had chips and salsa, so we didn't order an appetizer. Three of us had mojitos - plain, cucumber, and pomegranate. They were all great! We then ordered our meals - I had the pork osso buco (a special that day recommended by the waitress), hubby had lobster tacos, my friend had salmon and her husband had some sort of breaded chicken with a sauce (can't remember what that one was called). We all loved it and my osso buco was amazing! We all agreed that it is the best we ever had. My husband was very jealous (although he really liked his tacos, too!). The prices were very reasonable, particularly given the quality and service. We would highly recommend eating at Villa Montez if you are either visiting or live in Tyler. It was awesome!

• Visited November 2013

Houston, Texas
“East Texas Jewel”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Wow! Absolutely the best pork shank I've ever eaten. Excellent salsa. The spinach dip was awesome. Have to try the watermelon jalapeños margarita. Yum! Eric was our server and he did an excellent job. He gave us great recommendations for our meal and we're glad we followed them.

1 Thank Amanda J
Frankston, Texas
“View from the Top”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

OK, usually that makes one think of eating at a restaurant on top of a tall skyscraper. In Tyler, it means eating in a converted house on top of a small hill; but we loved the view just the same. Built in the early 1900's, the villa sits on it's own hill, surrounded by beautiful foliage that looks great all year round. After dark, the exterior lights make you feel like your dinner is a celebration, even if you just came for good food.
There are several rooms to eat in, preserved from the building original purpose as a home. Windows tend to be leaded, or have interesting stained glass toppers.
The food ranges from original entrees with a Latin touch to more traditional Mexican fare, only better than you expect. Prices are reasonable, especially for the ambiance, food quality and service. Atmosphere is relaxed, friendly. Dress is everything from what you wore to work(remove any ties) to shorts (summer) or jeans (winter).
Hint: get a reservation, even mid-week!

• Visited October 2013
Tyler
“combination of awe!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Ive been a couple of times to Villa and each time it gets better not that it was ever bad to begin with! I get the same thing everytime its a fajita burrito and it will blow you away for dollar bills you spend! ask about special drinks and they are awesome! had a strawberry basil margarita it was amazing I tried to make it at home not the same! worth every dollar and its beautiful !

• Visited April 2013
Marshall, TX
“Found great food in a Tyler landmark building”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We live about an hour away and travel to Tyler a few times each year to meet friends and because there are interesting restaurants to try. We have dined in this building on and off for more than 20 years when it has been other cuisines.

We found this cuisine to be one of the best we have eaten here!

Without a reservation, it's easy to dine 5ish on a Saturday. But when we left there was a line of people and everyone had reservations.

The food is Mexican/Spanish but it's definitely not Tex-Mex. It was fresh, very good, creative and plated nicely. I had fajita enchiladas with a red sauce. There is verde rice and black beans which is a nice twist. The salsa and chips were very good.

The service was attentive. Tyler has recently gone "wet," so it's easier to get a mixed drink in a restaurant. My friends had margaritas.

If I lived in Tyler this would probably be a regular, but with an hour-drive, we will still try it again.

Because it's in an older property (which was once an estate), there is a walk to the door from the parking lot; if you park in front, there are steps to climb. I imagine there is an approach which is more handicap friendly, but you should call to inquire. It's worth it!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nittie

Been to Villa Montez? Share your experiences!