“Smaller Zoo with Plenty to Offer”
Review of Caldwell Zoo

Caldwell Zoo
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Tyler
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have been going here since I was a child with my pawpaw. It used to be free but is now kind of expensive, so my husband and I get the membership to take our kids, which ends up being way cheaper if you go frequently. This is a smaller zoo but still has all the main animals you would see at Dallas and Fort Worth but without the huge crowds. They have been under construction in the Africa section for awhile (they recently finished) but when we went none of the big animals were out, due to feeding or something. That is why I gave four stars. We went in the middle of the day, prime time, so why they would put up the most popular animals during this time is beyond me. Because of this and construction, we haven't seen the African animals in quite some time. Another reason I gave four stars is because none of the food stalls ever seem to be open. At least when we go. It's kind of weird...but overall a clean and family friendly zoo that offers fun activities like feeding birds (super fun and the kids love it), a small petting zoo, and a fun play area. You can also bring in outside food and drinks which is nice.

All reviews
"small town"
in 20 reviews
"under construction"
in 19 reviews
"great variety of animals"
in 9 reviews
"several times"
in 15 reviews
"tyler area"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our grand kids enjoyed it, so did we. Beautiful white tiger. Lots of birds. Lots of shade & nice walkways. Nice gift shop.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

We were so impressed with this zoo!! It was super clean. The whole time we were there zoo keepers were in cages cleaning, draining water, putting fresh water and food out. The animals looked great and happy. Each exhibit was wonderful. My 12 girls favorite was the wild walk about were you can feed the birds!!

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We spent a Saturday afternoon here and were surprised how shaded it was for the time of day. There were such a variety of animals to see. We were able to see most everything in the 2 hours we spent there. There is an area for petting goats for the younger kids. There was also an area to feed birds, and we were able to get some really cool pictures of the kids with the birds feeding from their hands! They had some nice, shaded areas for resting, bathrooms throughout, vending machines for drinks, and of course a gift shop. I think they also had some concession areas as well. It was probably the nicest "small" zoo I've been to!