“Family Favorite for over 50 years”
Review of Gilbert's El Charro #1 - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gilbert's El Charro #1
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My parents in the 50's would go here on dates. Everytime I come back to Tyler El Charro is on my radar. We mostly go the the location on 5th street down from Tyler Junior College. Both locations are great and so is the family who owes El Charro. If you want party and get drunk it's not the place for you. It's family friendly that what we like.

Ask for the extra HOT sauce. Take cracker, squirt salad dressing that's on the table around the edge of cracker then add hot sauce in the middle. Now you have created the appetizer the locals love to eat before the meal arrives. Also, order the Guacamole which is the best!

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was my first trip to Tyler. Great town! I have dined at several restaurants here over the last five days, all of them great. Until I went to Gilbert's. The food was OK; however, I asked for the bill and received it from our waiter. Between walking from our table to the cash register they had charged me an additional $10. Not a person in the place was able to explain this. I was in no mood to argue so I paid the bill that they had tacked on $10. I guess they charge you to leave. We will never return, and I recommend you don't go.

1  Thank TrieditTyler
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Wow. This place used to be "the" place to meet for great Mexican food in Tyler. I do not know what happened, but the overall quality of the food and the general inviting atmosphere has gone down hill. Place seemed run down and the food was average at best. Definetly won't be going back unless I hear they've made major changes and that's a shame.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Tyler's classic Mexican Restaurant. Authentic food in an authentic atmosphere. Very popular.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is not gourmet, but still tasty enough. The enchilada sauce is good. The margaritas are decent, but nothing special. I thought the salsa was good. They give you lots of the salsa, in both mild and hot, which is a plus in a Tex-Mex place in my opinion. The hot salsa is plenty hot, not nothing extraordinary if you are a heat enthusiast. In spite of this luke warm review, I have to say I don't regret dining at this "joint.". WARNING - it was very loud. I was dining alone, so I didn't mind the noise. It is not a place to go if you want to have a conversation with your fellow diners. I recommend this place with the caveats above.