“Still searching”

Dining options: Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Austin, Texas
“Still searching”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Been on the lookout for good mexican food in Texas since I arrived and this wasn't it.
Average menu options and tasted like half was from a can
Had good reviews and was out for dinner so we gave it a shot.
Another one checked off the list and put in the never return column

Visited September 2012

Tyler, Texas
“The Original-A favorite”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Dont know if it is the well used equipment that makes the taste I crave or what. It is a Tyler tradition and you see people from all walks of life. Not low calorie or colestrol but my very favorite in Tyler.

Visited July 2012
Waxahachie, Texas
“Family Favorite for over 50 years”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My parents in the 50's would go here on dates. Everytime I come back to Tyler El Charro is on my radar. We mostly go the the location on 5th street down from Tyler Junior College. Both locations are great and so is the family who owes El Charro. If you want party and get drunk it's not the place for you. It's family friendly that what we like.

Ask for the extra HOT sauce. Take cracker, squirt salad dressing that's on the table around the edge of cracker then add hot sauce in the middle. Now you have created the appetizer the locals love to eat before the meal arrives. Also, order the Guacamole which is the best!

• Visited May 2012
Tyler
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really?”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was my first trip to Tyler. Great town! I have dined at several restaurants here over the last five days, all of them great. Until I went to Gilbert's. The food was OK; however, I asked for the bill and received it from our waiter. Between walking from our table to the cash register they had charged me an additional $10. Not a person in the place was able to explain this. I was in no mood to argue so I paid the bill that they had tacked on $10. I guess they charge you to leave. We will never return, and I recommend you don't go.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank TrieditTyler
Larue, Texas
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Wow. This place used to be "the" place to meet for great Mexican food in Tyler. I do not know what happened, but the overall quality of the food and the general inviting atmosphere has gone down hill. Place seemed run down and the food was average at best. Definetly won't be going back unless I hear they've made major changes and that's a shame.

• Visited March 2012