“Our Favorite Local place”
Review of Don Juan

Ranked #212 of 382 Restaurants in Tyler
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We eat here several times a month. They always have good service and always have good food. Try the steak, cabbage and cilantro tacos on corn tortillas. A great value.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

love it. local. fresh. decent prices. love wednesdays- 1.00 tacos. family owned. been in town for a while.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

It's not like your average quesadilla, it's folded over with good tasting ingredients. Hot and fresh!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

There are three Don Juan restaurants on E. Erwin St. (really!). The review is for Don Juan's on the Square across from the court house. I'm not sure why I keep coming here.

The Good:
Excellent friendly staff (except for the manager)
Festive dining room
Priced right
Great red and green sauces.
Very clean

The not so good:
The food is not served hot. It is warm at best and will be room temp by the time you finish. The taste is great! The tepid way it is served negates that.

This could be the best Mexican food in town but no improvement seen in over a year. I stop here regularly on my way home from Dallas. Why? I don't know!

1  Thank tomthbomb
Reviewed 24 April 2013

As out-of-towners, driving to Don Juan can be a bit disconcerting, as it is in an older section of town. We passed by a Don Juan Marisco, which is a newer building, and continued down the street a few blocks to Don Juan on the Square. It was a week night, not very many people in the restaurant.

First, I should clarify to the reader, this menu is based on Mexican fare, with a small Tex-Mex section, therefore, the food offerings may be odd, my recommendation is to review the menu online.

I was not hungry and decided to try the sopes. These are three shells, similar to a puffy taco, piled high with deliciousness. Even though not hungry, I gobbled down all three and nearly licked the plate. My husband had the chili relleno and declared it equally good.

Chips were hot and fresh. LOVED the salsa, there were two types, red and green, each with a unique flavor, red little more heat that the green, both were great.

The eating area was clean, as were the utensils and dinnerware. Service was very good. The bathroom was large and clean.

In my opinion, a very good restaurant for Mexican food, maybe not so good for someone whose idea of Mexican is based on restaurant-chain food.

Been to Don Juan? Share your experiences!