“Not bad.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Nice motel. I grew up in Van Horn, TX and my grandparents managed this motel after it was built in the '80s. The place has been well kept for over 20 years. The family that owns it are well versed in hotel management. Not a bad stay at all.

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Choice Hotels USED to be our travel choice, but no longer. We stay in hotels 330+ days per year, as OSHA hearing techs. On this trip, we were heading home to Arizona and needed an overnight stay as we were too tired to drive all the way to Las Cruces from Tulsa, OK.

Arriving in town at 10pm and not knowing what the bad weather ahead held for us, we started checking CLC lodging. I had already checked TripAdvisor to see which brands would be acceptable. Super 8 met all our criteria, so we headed there first. Sold out. We prefer HIG brands so headed to Holiday Inn Express. Sold Out. I already knew what the review on the Days Inn was, so skipped that one.

We decided to give this Econo Lodge a shot, knowing pretty much what to expect. Desk clerk was not aware of TripAdvisor. I hope she takes time to check it now.

My review for THIS Econo Lodge location?

As reviewed by others, and as expected. CLEAN, older, NOT luxurious beds, home-made repairs, but CLEAN. OK for an overnight, no bed-bugs (and yes, I used scotch tape in the mattress seams to verify!)

Would we stay again on our way thru Van Horn? Only if the Super 8 has no vacancies and we have a very limited budget (CLC). HIX would still be our first preference. Why? HIX is a new brand and their properties consistently meet our criteria.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candace R
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Nestled between I 10 and the railroad tracks, the Econolodge was quieter than expected. We used our rewards points for the two night stay and from past experience have not always had the best rooms. This one was clean, although the bathroom could have used an update. Breakfast was frozen waffles or blue berry muffins. Actually OK but not great. The front desk staff were fine. Van Horn has a couple restaurants -- a steak house and Chuy's Mexican and about 10 other 70's motels. The Econolodge needs work on the outside but as mentioned the rooms were clean. Not wonderful but a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: There is a howard johnson and marriott that may serve those looking for a more upper end stay for th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Clean very basic place to rest your head. Light breakfast friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2010

You have to get across Texas, and you cannot always do it in a day. So, they formed the town of Van Horn . . . I use Choice Hotels and they include Econo Lodge Van Horn. It gets the job done - Breakfast? I felt like the desk clerk was counting every item we picked up to eat. Uncomfortable, and at 70+ years, I have pretty thick skin. Then, I spotted the FRUIT BOWL advertised . . . see the picture . . . yep, it is glass fruit. Pretty.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1oldseagull
Reviewed 17 November 2008

Van Horn, TX is not big and this is one of the few national chains. They are all small and limited but with this location, it is owned by the usual that own motels, and of course run cheaply. My biggest complaint is that for a dog fee they list on the website as $10 but once I checked in, and happened to look at my online banking, they charged $20. I called the front desk and the same woman that checked me in told me that $20 would be charged because my dog was bigger. Well, on the website they say $10 for dogs up to 50 lbs. My dog is 45 lbs and I have a vet report with me at all times with his latest shots and weight (normally weight isn't added to a vet report but I ask them to do it since I bring my dog with me on the road and travel extensively and hotels sometimes want this info). At check in she said, looking out the window to my truck where I had the window down for him to look out, she said he is bigger and that it would be a $15 dollar charge instead of $10. I told her that he is under 50 lbs and that on the website it says up to 50 lb dogs are $10. Well, as I mentioned earlier, looking at my bank statement online, she charged me $20.00. I called up and she said that because he was big, she had to charge that. Needless to say, this was a runaround and a very ridiculous experience. I would recommend coming into town and simply getting one of the much cheaper local motel rooms at check in. They look to be all as good as this place but half the price.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank officialbest
Reviewed 21 June 2008

Hotel was the nicest one in the area, for being in the the middle of nowhere. Room was nice and clean and the wi-fi worked well. The only thing I had was the price of the room. Although, it was the nicest one in the area, the price was still like $30 more than the other hotels to include a Best Western and a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Chowder17